Do You Ever Just Feel Like Giving Up?

So I have owned my Classic Turbo (dream car as a teenager) for almost seven years now.

I have cherished it and loved it in every way. Kept it clean and maintained it regardless of cost. I have had body parts resprayed and spent £1000's on "upgrade" parts. All in all I have probably put £30,000 into the car which initially cost me a reasonable £6,250. It has given me back over 60,000 enjoyable miles. I now have a second classic which is completely stripped down and in the process of being rebuilt as a track toy and a refurbed semi closed deck block on its way from Roger Clark to go for more power in the current road car.

Today I investigate a small coolant leak and find loads of it lurking on top of the block. It looks like it could be the crossover pipe leaking.

The exhaust seems raspy and the pops and bangs seem closer to the front of the car then usual so I pop the undertray off and find that the upgraded stainless solid up pipe (made by a well respected manufacturer) has cracked at turbo flange. The same type of pipe did this to me a year and a half ago and was grudgingly replaced by the manufacturer. This one lasted even less time!

It may seem small but on top of this I cleaned and waxed the car for the Japfest to find that a bird has s*** all over it. I clean that off and within an hour another small dot on the bonnet. I wipe that off and leave the car for an hour and find bird shit spread from bonnet to boot... it's now staying there until I go to work later because I just cant be bothered!

The rear offside wing is rusting again after a bodyshop supposedly fixed and resprayed it. The laquer on the nearside wing is pealing again something that was resprayed after it did it the first time and the problem is back two years later.

All in all I am royally pissed off with the whole thing. I don't get to drive the car properly often and the trip to the Japfest tomorrow would have be awesome had I not got a crack in the up-pipe loosing me 4psi of boost.

I am so close to just binning it all and looking at buying a BRZ which I can't really afford but has no f****** rust.

I don't expect anybody to read my ramblings but I just had to vent it somewhere I can't be alone in these moments of frustration!

And yet, you'll jump in it and drive down the right road by coincidence, and all of that will pale into the aether as you eat up the corners. Welcome to motoring. I'm surprised it took this long for you to get this sick of a car! I have plenty of moments like it in the ownership of both my old cars, and yet they STILL managed to put a smile on my face when driven down the right road :)

Hang in there mate! We're all on the same team and I bet your motor looks the b(.)(.)bs. Post some pics of her on here and watch people wh00p and big it up. If you can't drive it at the moment, at least showing it off will put a smile back on your face.

Same boat here mate had the car 7 years too and it was always running ok my up pipe is burst too rust appearing every where brakes warped needs new tyres but had a good run in it today and I still love it!

Here's hoping the weather gets better and i can get all the jobs I've planned for it done

Chin up mate

Neil

Haven't suffered too many bird s**t problems lately, but over the glorious bank holiday weekend, special clean to the WRX and Accord. Same night, a massive mega haystack fire about half a mile away, with wind perfectly in our direction. Result - two gleaming cars, the drive, etc. covered in sooty black deposits. No you can't win!!

John

Cheers for the words guys.

I cleaned the s*** off yet again and the next day just drove it despite the coolant and exhaust issue. Yes it was a bit down on power but I still had a great time and it still GLF. Japfest was awesome despite the crappy weather and the girlfriend even enjoyed it too.

Now I'm pricing up a new up pipe and going to order some crossover pipe o-rings so I can sort the car out asap. Hopefully my shiny re-manufactured semi closed deck will arrive soon to spur me on. I just need to buy the crank, pistons, rods, head gaskets, gasket set, new clutch, cooler modine, sump, baffle plate, oil pickup, turbo, injectors, new fuel pump, new fuel reg, some braided lines, a new ecu, cambelt and kit, water pump, oil pump and then I will have my shiny new engine build finished with the old engine going into the track car. I will start a build thread when I get a minute for both cars but they may go on for the next year or two the way money is at the moment!

Cheers, FMJ.