highland fling banter thread '12

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tempted for a mini break from the south, and to see how the 1 performs on a good run ;) - what kind of mileage/route are you talking for this one, how many nights?

Would mean I couldn't visit the AGM, but I really fancy a trip to see my Scooby bro's and sister's from the northern lands and sample a few tipples of whisky!!

:English-flag:

Ahem :whistle: Its diet coke up this way :P

It's two nights Matty, Dave probably has the mileage from last year which won't be too far different to this year. It's under 200 miles per day, based last year on a Friday start in Stirling, overnight in Inverness, a secret Saturday overnight, and finishing back in Inverness Sunday before heading home.

Don't count your normal mpg either ;)

Hi Matty, been away for the weekend without internet but normal service is resumed..... :P

as Barry said its around 150 - 200 miles a day, fridays an optional bonus day - last year we left from stirling around mid day and had a reasonably relaxed run up to inverness, saturday is usually around a 9 - 10 am departure and a stop for the night around 5 - 6pm and sunday 11 til 4ish back to inverness, though all are approximations until the routes set

as a guide i spent around 180 quid last year on fuel but that was leading with purpose ;)

hotels i usually manage to get a decent group rate for dinner b&b which helps fund fuel, well a little bit.....

the stunning scenery, good weather and amazing banter are all thrown in for free of course :Scottish-flag:

I was in the 'less progressive' group on the last fling and i got an average for the weekend of 26mpg.... So you don't need to try to get a new record for fuel consumption.

At the end of the day you drive as hard as you want to.... We had a progressive group and the less progressive on the saturday then on the sunday we all stuck together. Has to be said it was a great couple of days.

It was even better when i got into work to find some guy complaining about being passed like he wasn't moving by about 20 nutters in scoobies! Then he saw the pics on my work computer and my car outside and tried to give me a lecture.... Oh how i laughed in his face, bloody officers and their self important attitude.

:rotfl: And that was in the WRX last time!

As above the less progressive group is more normal everyday driving rather than spirited.. Due to the natute of some of the roads at points it's not suitable to drive rapido anyway and sometimes the two groups bunch up again..

Cant remember hte MPG I was getting but it was much better than I'd expected.. Genearlly If I fill up in Inverness, Top up at the end of day 1 I've been able to complete day 2 and get home to elgin and still have fuel to spare.. I might have managed the Inverness > Inverness loop on a single tank but I woudl have been running on fumes.. Oh and there's no V-Power / T99 further north of Inverness, so Octane booster is reccomended if you need that sort of stuff.. Usually check for locations of Super Unleaded ont he route beforhand..

If your are gonna come up all the way.. WOudl reccomend takign it easy up the Motorway stay overnight in glasgow/perth or something on the thursday, tag along with the group from perth(ish?) up to inverness on teh friday (if that's what's happening again) then saturday off to wherever, sunday back to Inv at about 3pm? then head back down the road again, so maybe another stop off for you on the sunday night. A lot of driving over a few days and may not be suitable to drive all teh way back down teh road on the sunday..

Edited by ScoUK
you want me to bring my pipes along as well Cathy?

Thought you were a lumberjack, not a plumber...?

Dr Kilty? Hell Yeah! :Scottish-flag:

Can we get Fling T-shirts this year? Y'know... like a rockband on tour with all the old tour venues on the back?

As long as Dave ain't picking the colour scheme...

ooh liking the sound of highland fling 'on tour' t shirts - who does the club merchandise again? ;)

and i have great taste in colour schemes - my colour blindness doesnt affect me at all.... :smiley-taunt014:

and if you want to think of me leaping from log to log bekilted with my drones hanging under my arm thats entirely up to you..... :icon_butt:

• 2 weeks later...

over the next few days the details should be appearing over in events, including a suggestion for a new friday night stop in inverness following on from the snowgoose fiasco of the last 2 years <_<

Keira will be gutted........ no more new wooden spoons :Scottish-flag:

Bloody McD's would be better than the snowduck!