McRae Findings...

Sadly just come across this on the BBC News site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14803595

Right behind Jimmy McRae to be honest - I doubt the real reason will ever be known but it's seriously unfair to blame it on having fun imho! :( After all, they do say that it was an "unknown occurrence" that caused the accident.

Fecking hate the way the media spin these sort of news stories :cussing:

Saw this headlining today.. Wasn't exactly the same announcement made about 3 weeks ago in teh press.. But then the anniversary of the accident is next week so someone feels they need to publicise it. It's about time they dropped these headlines as we all know the results.

IMHO the bottom line is this.. Every one of us can learn something from this incident.. Here's my view, as a long term McRae fan & driving enthusiast.

Was Colin McRae to blame for the accident. IMHO yes! As the operator/pilot of the vehicle he was responsibiltiy for the control of the vehicle and the safety of the passengers.. Just like a car. It is said that he was not following a suitable flight plan. Ok here is where I'll bring this down to a road level.. Say you make a 20 mile journey somewhere and you have several routes you can take, one of them being a main route possibly dual carrageway or whatever, but a main route none the less. But instead because the weather is good and you have family and/or friends along you decide to take a more "interesting road.. lets say a B-class road with nice scenery an a good driving road that you know.. Now lets say your having a bit of a enthusiastic drive, not high speed tyre squeelign stuff but enough to start feeling the forces placed upon the car. Now say that on one bend something happens.. maybe some unforseen mud on the road or perhaps more appropraitely a miscalculation on the corner speed and it ends badly.. REALLY badly! WHo is to blame? Surely the driver..

THis is how I see the incident.. It was a very sad loss of life and almost certainly one which could have been avoided. And had it been done again perhaps would not have happened.. Usign the above scene, if you decided to take the main more appropriate route to your destination you would probably have never found yourself in a posistion where the vehicle would be put under any pressure just a gently drive from A2B..

This sort of incidents happen all the time on the roads and it's particularly sad when loss of life is involved. We've all seen or heard of it. We even have members on this forum who have sadly lost their lives driving their cherished cars, they would never do anything to harm themselves or their vehicles yet sometimes, things happen, a slight momentary misjudgement and that it's.. Game Over.....

my2pennies worth..

Colin McRae, Jonny McRae, Pen Porcelli & Graeme Duncan. You will be remembered by all of us :icon_salut:

Enjoy driving & Drive Safe.....

I reckon Rally drivers and Pro Motorcycle riders are wired up differently from the rest of us.....It's about risk perception. they might be excellent at actually flying the things but shouldn't be let within a mile of the controls. End of.

I'm a pilot, and can't drift a car or slide my knee. I know my limits.

Shame Colin didn't.

I agree with absolutely everything Al says. I was and still am a huge fan of Colin and everything he did.

The early loss of a true legend was devastating and if the investigation has ruled out all but human error then we have to accept that it was a mistake on Colin's part - lets face it, it wasnt his first crash.

Thankfully, Grant and Imy are doing sterling work to keep the McRae vision going allowing Colin the chance to inspire another young driver from beyond. :thumbup:

Why was he flying with a lapsed licence? I have been in lots of helos and come to earth with a bump twice, neither due to that kind of flying - it hurt and it did a lot of damage. I have also been balls out and flying knap of the earth and had some very close calls. It was terrifying and exhilerating at the same time, especially as being just a passenger. All my pilots were current and held the correct licences, that did not stop them from making mistakes. Luckily for me they did not kill me, but I bet they were all loving it up to the moment it went wrong with Colin. Such a shame. RIP