2011 SUBARU ALL NEW ENGINE AND COUPE

Lots of rumours out there but there seems some truth amongst the dross ;)

Most reckon the "new" bits will be unvieled in January USA, March USA and geneva motor shows.

First quarter of 2011

The brand new MK2 engine (non Turbo)

The new Coupe unveiled, maybe badged as Subaru or Scion but most reckon Toyota with 2WD

The new WRX Diesel

second Quarter 2011

The new WRX with Hybrid engine

The brand new Turbo engine with FMIC and front mounted Turbo

Third/ Forth quarter 2011

Scion to have a 4WD option

Tony

I just hope they drop the Impreza name. The Impreza died with the last of the Hawkeye and since has been diluted more and more, now it is just a name used to sell average cars. I know some love the hatch but it was never a big hit and once again in my opinion Subaru got it wrong. Even to this day when people talk about my classic they ALL say the same thing "I don't really like the newer ones".

What with diesel imprezas, hybrids for the yanks, rubbish generic styling.... Its just not what we all loved about the old Imprezas. Just let the Impreza name RIP and be remembered as an old classic. The things that made it great just dont fit in this health and safety, eco friendly, low risk taking world anymore.

Edited by FMJ

It all depends on who you talk too, the overwhelming majority of people I talk to tell me they prefer the hatch. ;)

The people I am talking about are the people who approach me and to ask about my car or friends and family who I tell I have an Impreza and when they see it then always mention they don't like the new ones. Its only my opinion and what I have personally experienced and I know some love the hatch and will rightly defend it. I just think it was too removed from the original concept and should have been renamed. I do also agree the classics are dated and are slowly being chaved to death.

The new saloon STI is quite a car, and is at least a bit in keeping with the spirit of the impreza name, the price is an absolute joke however. The hatchback STI did exactly what Subaru intended, and increased the appeal to people who couldn't give a monkeys about the driving experience and just wanted to be able to say "my car has got 300 of those horse thingys that make it go really fast, and loads of buttons that do stuff". They were so popular in the UK that Subaru UK still haven't shifted the cars they imported 2 years ago. I'm loving the idea of the RWD coupe, especially the mooted pricing of circa 25 grand. I do agree that the impreza name should have died with the Hawkeye saloons however. I think Subaru would benfit from dropping the boxer layout for the engine as well. With the current exhausts you can't hear the burble anymore, even with the unequal headers, and the wieght distribution argument doesn't hold true anymore, as you can achieve a low centre of gravity equaly well with a straight upright inline 4 by making sure you position the manifolds so that you don't have to run the exhausts under the engine. That's what mitsubishi have done with the Evo X and it works very well. Personaly I see Subaru regressing back to being suppliers of capable but dull "farmers friends" fairly soon.

Edited by scoobydude

The hatchback STI did exactly what Subaru intended, and increased the appeal to people who couldn't give a monkeys about the driving experience and just wanted to be able to say "my car has got 300 of those horse thingys that make it go really fast, and loads of buttons that do stuff".

I think a bit more research may be needed ;)

Take a look at a cross section and you will find that the majority of Hatch owners are ex classic, bug, blob, hawk Subaru owners who wanted something a bit different.

I think a bit more research may be needed ;)

Take a look at a cross section and you will find that the majority of Hatch owners are ex classic, bug, blob, hawk Subaru owners who wanted something a bit different.

I'll second that... I had 2 classics, 1 new age and now a Hatch! :P

The new saloon STI is quite a car, and is at least a bit in keeping with the spirit of the impreza name, the price is an absolute joke however.

the would be if this was a "Typical" impreza "entry level" car but it is well equiped (my brand new 2002StiUK PPP and PHP was £30+K) so 8 years on simular

The hatchback STI did exactly what Subaru intended, and increased the appeal to people who couldn't give a monkeys about the driving experience and just wanted to be able to say "my car has got 300 of those horse thingys that make it go really fast, and loads of buttons that do stuff"

LOL

They were so popular in the UK that Subaru UK still haven't shifted the cars they imported 2 years ago.

Thats true ;) apparently ;)

I think Subaru would benfit from dropping the boxer layout for the engine as well. With the current exhausts you can't hear the burble anymore, even with the unequal headers, and the wieght distribution argument doesn't hold true anymore, as you can achieve a low centre of gravity equaly well with a straight upright inline 4 by making sure you position the manifolds so that you don't have to run the exhausts under the engine. That's what mitsubishi have done with the Evo X and it works very well.

the MK2 enginine is the first ALL Brandnew engine Subaru have developed since first the Boxer. Apparenty The turbo is mounted at the front of the engine and not a TMIC but a FMIC.

Tony

I'll second that... I had 2 classics, 1 new age and now a Hatch! :P

I hope you aren't planning on selling it (the hatch) anytime soon. I was offered a 2009 59 plate 330s, with 3500 miles on the clock, for 20 grand. That was from a reputable main dealer :o That is some depreciation :barf: I'm no fan of the hatch, but they are a cracking looking used buy. I could almost forgive its hideousness at that price <_<

Edited by scoobydude

I was offered a 2009 59 plate 330s, with 3500 miles on the clock, for 20 grand. That was from a reputable main dealer I'm no fan of the hatch, but they are a cracking looking used buy. I could almost forgive its hideousness at that price <_<

So when you look for a car you go for something cheap and hideous ??

Bet you also like lots of buttons and couldn't care less about the driving experience eehh.

Gotta say I liked the hatch so much I bought another which I collect on Tuesday. Had 2000 Turbo Wagon, 2 x WRX 2.0 and 1 x WRX 2.5 before I went for the hatch.

Love the fact I doesn't attract attention. Only people in the know recognise it.

Fast across country. Last thing to pass me across counrty was an Audi RS6!!!