New White Sti Saloon @ Ian Grieve Subaru Falkirk - Pics

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a shifty today & I must say it does look better in the flesh, quite like the interior with the recaros & the spec is not bad but it just isn't for me,

There was a 330s hatch parked next to the focus RS when I was in & to be honest you would just walk past the scoob every time & go to the focus,

Subaru seem to be aiming at a different market & for me it's maybe time to move on after 15 years of Subaru ownership

For MY part, couldn't disagree with you more, sir!

Must say I like both hatch and this... although 32K seems a little steep. Whatever happened to the phrase "performance bargain"?

LOL I know you enjoy yours Glyn & it's practical but i've driven the hatch on several occasions & after owning classics, blobs & hawks for me it was the poorest for performance & handling i've driven, in saying that I don't mean it's a bad car it's just not as good as some of the older scoobs, that's just my opinion there will be loads of people out there that love their hatches.

It's when you jump back in the RA & drive a raw 17 year old car it reminds me of what subaru used to be about

Edited by bobbyc

My hatch is doing pretty well heading for it's 10k service.

No engine worries. VERY few rattles (other than parcel shelf, which is sorted).

I've owned Blob, Classic (STI V1 so no plain jane) and the Hatch - the Hatch is the best all round car hands down. It's not been built entirely from a Japanese parts bin like some others.

It has PPP, Prodrive Springs and STI Quickshift - that sharpens up a lot of the "friendliness" of the standard hatch but is still a car that I can live with every day.

It is hugely more practical than any previous Impreza, has a rear wiper, cruise control and will do 30+mpg on a long motorway journey but still deliver blistering pace when needed at the switch of a button.

The hatch is easy to tune and tighten uop if you want it - suspension, brakes and every other bit that anybody remotely interested in on any other model changes anyway.

BUT

For the money I paid for mine, and the stuff fitted to it, it was a bargain compared to a mundane Mondeo etc which could be specced to the same price without the engineering. For a car circa £25k + new (average showroom price) it needs to be all things to all men to compete, as the Focus is, as the Golf R is (although that's VERY pricey).

I think it competes very well.

No matter what I buy next I certainly won't regret getting it and it has not let me down in any way (other than the usual thin paint issues).

My 2p/review after 9 months & 9000 miles of ownership.

Brian :rolleyes:

Gotta say, I prefer without the spoiler. Was one of the things I didn't like about the old STI and one of the reasons I like my STI hatch.

If £32,995 is the price, it is too much for me.

If there is one with fewer toys at under £30k, that is a different story.

Edited by l137sws

:rolleyes::P:P:D:D

all these comments from people who own Imprezas that look like Nissan Bluebirds,Toyota Corollas and Seat Toledos.

thats because we have always bought the marque because of its fantastic looks LOL.Don't think so!!!

and considering the way the Yen is against the Pound at the moment the price isn't bad,afterall a Hawk Eye Sti back in 05 cost £24995 New.

Gav :D

Joking aside, will there be a lesser spec?

Made the price jump from WRX to STI last time. Wasn't expecting to have to do it again to stay with an STI :-(

Styling was never Subaru's strong point. If you want something pretty, buy and Alfa Romeo.

Edited by l137sws

all these comments from people who own Imprezas that look like Nissan Bluebirds,Toyota Corollas and Seat Toledos.

thats because we have always bought the marque because of its fantastic looks LOL.Don't think so!!!

and considering the way the Yen is against the Pound at the moment the price isn't bad,afterall a Hawk Eye Sti back in 05 cost £24995 New.

Gav, I personally quite like the looks (although the back end is quite like a Hyundai Accent WRC car - I would have have bought one of them if they had made them cheap enough!). But realistically the price is way out there - the Hawkeye STi was 25K, and has jumped to 32k - that is almost a 30% price hike. My house I bought in 2005 cost 200K and I sold it 6 months ago for 208K - has nobody told Subaru that there is a recession on, and big price hikes don't get bums on seats. Oh, and the 17K Fiesta - hunt hard enough and you'll get 3-4K off of that. Are you willing to drop 7-8K on the Sti Saloon?

Well the yen exchange rate doesn't seem to have had an effect on the price of a new Evo :confused:

Major drawback on the Evo for me is the lack of dealers - we are lucky in the Central belt with Ian Grieve, AF Nobles, S&S Service and even Halleys...plus John R Weir etc.

Dealer backup is essential - although ALL of my Impreza's have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned, including mainly Japanese cars.

Brian :rolleyes:

No need to be so defensive, Gav - Chevrolet seem to be doing fine selling some of the monstrous crap they're manufacturing, so I fully expect the new Depreza Saloon to be a rip-roaring success.

Good times!

Well the yen exchange rate doesn't seem to have had an effect on the price of a new Evo :confused:

wish that were the case - theyv gone up 2-4k otherwise I'd have one by now as was going trade the 9 in - awsome cars. were £28k for the base gs fq300 now 32. and what were they thinking with the fq400 at 52k - touching distance of a gtr.

just been looking at swapping the wifes astra fro teh new style - 20k+ for a new sri with decent spec! B) managed to geta quote fro 16500 for a new octavia vrs but just didnt like it. most new cars are overpriced. like scoobyseller even fiestas and corsas are ~16k+ when specced.

whish my salary and pension went up the same rate past 5 years or so!

Im sure this version will sell anyway. I like the pic in white with the black wheels, spoiler etc. Looks aggressive. Once modded right it will prob look better. There will be folk, not neccessarily enthusiasts, who have driven subarus for years and will just upgrade. Alot of cars are looking samey now anyway.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has taken it out for a spirited session yet, and how it performs?

No need to be so defensive, Gav - Chevrolet seem to be doing fine selling some of the monstrous crap they're manufacturing, so I fully expect the new Depreza Saloon to be a rip-roaring success.

Good times!

I'm not????you can see that by the smile!!!

But have you firstly seen the car in the flesh,and secondly driven the car-NO,well at least do the decent thing and pass comm B) ent after both of the above.

I'm not????you can see that by the smile!!!

But have you firstly seen the car in the flesh,and secondly driven the car-NO,well at least do the decent thing and pass comm B) ent after both of the above.

Gav, I reserve every right to comment on how a car looks in a photograph - there's nothing at all indecent about that! Being free to share our opinions on this stuff is a large part of the appeal of this forum, as far as I'm concerned :unsure:

And it may drive like a Ferrari F430 for all I know, I was offering an opinion specifically on aesthetics...

Anyway, I'm sure it'll sell fine regardless of anything I say, but that's not going to stop me having a pop!