Visiting Scotland From The States

I just joined to forum after spying on you UK guys for a few years. My welcome message and details of my car are posted here : http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtop...=0#entry1381978

Myself and my lady are taking our first trip to Scotland in October. Its my 30th birthday trip. I'm flying into Edinburgh Oct 3rd and staying until the 11th.

27967_745071004589_1809030_43282790_3696431_n.jpg

I figured I'd ask my fellow Subaru-brothers for any advice on my trip.

From the 6th-8th we'll be on a bus trip from Edinburgh to Stirling to Fort Agustus to Kyle of Lochalsh to the Isle of Skye and back to Edinburgh.

We're trying to find a place to rent a motorcycle to ride around outside the city. If you know a good place to rent one, let me know. Maybe visit Glasgow, perhaps take a hike. I'm also investigating my Scottish family heritage and trying to see where / who they are.

Whats a must-see?

Where should I go to eat?

Wheres the fun?

Edited by eclip5e
I just joined to forum after spying on you UK guys for a few years. My welcome message and details of my car are posted here : http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtop...=0#entry1381978

Myself and my lady are taking our first trip to Scotland in October. Its my 30th birthday trip. I'm flying into Edinburgh Oct 3rd and staying until the 11th.

27967_745071004589_1809030_43282790_3696431_n.jpg

I figured I'd ask my fellow Subaru-brothers for any advice on my trip.

From the 6th-8th we'll be on a bus trip from Edinburgh to Stirling to Fort Agustus to Kyle of Lochalsh to the Isle of Skye and back to Edinburgh.

We're trying to find a place to rent a motorcycle to ride around outside the city. If you know a good place to rent one, let me know. Maybe visit Glasgow, perhaps take a hike. I'm also investigating my Scottish family heritage and trying to see where / who they are.

Whats a must-see?

Where should I go to eat?

Wheres the fun?

FOOD-

1) JIMMY CHUNGS in edinburgh ( one next to waverly train station city centre/ other next to usher hall) all you can eat chinese buffet decent price drink cost is where they make the money tho

2) INTERNATIONAL STARTERS - leith docks ( mix of different starters from around the world just pick and mix all your choices

3) TIGERLILY - george street , more upmarket normal food

PLACES TO SEE -

1) edinburgh castle obviously :thumbup:

2) mary kings close

3) holyrood palace at bottom of the royal mile ,opposite arthur seat and scottish parliment

4) arthurs seat walk up and take in all of edinburgh

5) sir walter scot monument , princes street garden

FUN PLACES-

1) ocean terminal (bottom of leith )- bars ,restraunts,royal yatch britania, cinema ,skate park, shops lots of shops,

2) royal botanic gardens

3) edinburgh dungeons.

4) various ghost walks/tours edinburgh

5) museum of flight just outside edinburgh

6) edinburgh tour buses each comapny does their own thing though best to check what suits you best ( some factual/history others more fun)

OTHER-

1- if your wanting to ge out of edinburgh dobies garden and insect world jus near dalkieth bout 45min bus journey from city centre.

2-vogrie country park

3-if you can get a motor bike or car to hire, costal drive to gullen beach

4- cramond and theres a carvery there for food nice icecream shop and harbour

5- sea world at forth road bridge /north queensferry

AND IF YOUR REALY CHEEKY , COULD TRY GETING THE REGIONAL ORGANISERS TO HAVE A CLUB MEET THE TIME YOUR HERE AND EITHER DO A WEE RUN IN THE MOTORS WHERE THEY STOP OF FOR FOOD AND DRINKS AND YOUL GET SOME SCOTTISH COUNTRY SIDE , OR THE MEET THE EDINBURGH FOLK HAVE AT SOUTH QUEENS FERRY :)

AND IF YOUR REALY CHEEKY , COULD TRY GETING THE REGIONAL ORGANISERS TO HAVE A CLUB MEET THE TIME YOUR HERE AND EITHER DO A WEE RUN IN THE MOTORS WHERE THEY STOP OF FOR FOOD AND DRINKS AND YOUL GET SOME SCOTTISH COUNTRY SIDE , OR THE MEET THE EDINBURGH FOLK HAVE AT SOUTH QUEENS FERRY :thumbup:

Great list, thanks! I'll research those places and pick which ones to checkout.

what does cheeky mean?

Hi.

On your trip to Skye you will get all the William Wallace history at Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument when you stop at Stirling. Took my aussie cousin and his New York g'friend there last year and they loved it. Eilean Donan castle near Skye and great views/countryside up there.

Edinburgh great for tourists and all things thebigfelly mentioned. Check out Grassmarket/Cowgate areas for bars, music etc.

Go up to St. Andrews, not far from Edinbro over the bridge and up the way, nice town, history, beaches etc.

And come to Glasgow on 7th Oct, Glasgow meet that night, dont think there will be a run but food and drink if you like.

Enjoy your trip :thumbup:

Hi.

On your trip to Skye you will get all the William Wallace history at Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument when you stop at Stirling. Took my aussie cousin and his New York g'friend there last year and they loved it. Eilean Donan castle near Skye and great views/countryside up there.

Edinburgh great for tourists and all things thebigfelly mentioned. Check out Grassmarket/Cowgate areas for bars, music etc.

Go up to St. Andrews, not far from Edinbro over the bridge and up the way, nice town, history, beaches etc.

And come to Glasgow on 7th Oct, Glasgow meet that night, dont think there will be a run but food and drink if you like.

Enjoy your trip :)

Id love to go to the Glasgow meet, but i'll be up in Skye during then :thumbup:

I'll def check out St. Andrews, that sounds cool.

One of the places we're staying in is in Grassmarket/Cowgate. I'm planning to hold a class on what "real drinking" is at one of the more popular establishments.

Id love to go to the Glasgow meet, but i'll be up in Skye during then :thumbup:

I'll def check out St. Andrews, that sounds cool.

One of the places we're staying in is in Grassmarket/Cowgate. I'm planning to attend a class on what "real drinking" is at one of the more popular establishments.

edited for accuracy :)

Edited by G.Mac

also george street in edinburgh for pubs and clubs at night, more bars though , mad dogs bar ,the stand and order bar is good , lemon bar,

what you think lads tell him+ gf about the hairy triangle if those of you fi edinburgh know where/what it is :thumbup::)

you also got the omni centre cant mind if i said that , that has pubs /bar,s and places to eat all inside the one big building at the top of leith walk , 2min fi princes street

Although I am born and bread in central scotland, my mums side of family are from Kyle of Lochalsh and the surrounding area.

Its the most specactular part of the county the west coast in my opinion. The road from Tyndrum to Kyle is an amazing drive and the scenery is amazing. U will defo stop at Ellen Donnon Castle just 7 miles from Kyle and the skye bridge. Its the castle that the start of Highlander was filmed - my auntie was an extra! Apparently the most photographed castle in the world some say! Sure the Stig said that!

Anyhoo, have a great time, but i advise hiring a car for driving in the highlands, best way to enjoy some of the best driving roads in the world