Ebay Tips For Selling

Hi All

I need to free up some cash and I want rid of my Scooby sooner rather than later (sooner has already come and gone).

Can anyone give me some tips for selling on eBay with regards to fees etc. I don't want to sell then have to hand over 20% in fees. Any advice welcome.

I may be wrong but i think the cost of fee's relates to how much you start the bidding off at! So if you started it at say 99p but you put a reserve of what you want then that might keep the cost down!

Like i say i could be completely wrong but just trying to help

Jonboy

exactly as above, but the more pics u place the dearer the add is,

so place all ure pics in a folder on photobucket etc and paste the link in the description,

dont put buy it now price as its more ,

also say in description that a deposit of £500 must be paid via paypal and the rest in cash/bankers draft etc, but car not released till

money /payments clear,

oh and glwts

Its £8 to list a car no matter what starting price you have.

Additional fees if you add "buy it now" or set a "reserve".

You get 12 free photos.

Final Value Fees are applied after the sale, £35 if selling price above £3.5k

Also, PayPal fess if you get paid via paypal, not sure of the paypal fees and wouldnt recommend.

Cash or cleared cheque, bankers draft can be dodgy as well so pay the £££ for the bank to clear it straight away.

If you think Autotrader is bad for tyre kickers and sales agents youll have fun on eBay.

Al

Thanks gentlemen, most helpful.

I have tried and hoped that the car would go to an enthusiast, but I have to call time on it and start taking in some dosh for it. After reading the above, seems like eBay is a high-risk strategy. Only tried selling on here and on Piston Heads with virtually no interest, so its time to ramp it up a bit.

one tip I use for auctions

list on a thursday for ten days - auction will cover two weekends and end on a sunday...

Encourage viewing before bidding... advise advertised elsewhere.. if they happen to make an offer on viewing then you would just need to cancel the auction..

I've only sold two cars through ebay... one was a deal out of auction.. the other was a bidding sale - lower value so the fees were not to bad, cash on collection - deposit of 10% through paypal

I tend to get on better sticking a sign in the window and driving as usual. lol

Gumtree is free and local buyers to boot.

Good luck mate.

:blush: Sold a good number of cars on gumtree, it makes a huge difference having different area pages, means you can search the whole site or just the ones nearest you. The fact that it's free usually wins me over :D

Good luck with the sale :)

Only tried selling on here and on Piston Heads with virtually no interest, so its time to ramp it up a bit.

SNet not an option for you John ?

I know ebay is a good outlet for selling the car, and often a bargain to be had, but personally I'd be mega cautious and a last resort if doing it myself.

Used gumtree and it is handy being free, but the audience is quite localised. No harm trying and easy to use.

Have you considered changing the wheel colour back ? We all get the reason for it on here but those outwith this site may not get the Irn-Bru theme ?? :blush: Just a wee thought, chose to ignore and not meant to offend or belittle in any way.

...and give me that engine bay over, get it hosed out :) .

There's a lot of time and money gone in to your car, hope it all works out for you JW.

Edited by C_WRX

I would buy a standard set of alloys and try again - even tho you and I know it's not too much to change the wheel colour or just get new alloys, people just want to buy the car and not have to mess about afterwards. I had a black and white FTO and only after I toned it down did people start asking about it and it sold. PH is a good place for fellow enthusiasts, Ebay is full of numpties, Autotrader is expensive and never once got me a phone call (Scotland is too far away for a lot of buyers) and my mate uses Guntree for all his cars - not cheap ones either - Mercs, Touaregs, 911s etc. Good exposure and as said above - it's local buyers as it's split up by city.

Good luck JW!

Thanks again guys. I have thought about changing the wheel-colour back again, but that's jsut more expense. I have a set of STi8 wheels with Eagle F1s that need powder coated, so I might do those in gold. All the other orange stuff, stripes etc have been removed. I have thought the wheels being orange wouldn't stop people buying it. I think I'll give Gumtree a bash!

Cheers!

EDIT: Now on Gumtree :)

Edited by TheWelsho