Budget Slr/good Compact Camera

Hi All,

Been looking online at a few different types of "budget" SLR digital cameras and wondered if anyone had any advice when looking to buy? I enjoy a bit of snapping and although it's mainly car snapping, I'd still like to get to grips with a half decent camera.

Looking at spending around £400.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Been looking online at a few different types of "budget" SLR digital cameras and wondered if anyone had any advice when looking to buy? I enjoy a bit of snapping and although it's mainly car snapping, I'd still like to get to grips with a half decent camera.

Looking at spending around £400.

Thanks!

alright mate my name is Ryan i havent got slr but i have got a sony cyber shot 4 colour super HAD CCD camera with all the computer links and spare batteries,hardly ever used vgc i could send u apic and u make me an offer if u like its 8 mega pixel takes a lovely pic with monitor on the backn and all that cheers.

Hi Ryan,

Thats similar to what I have just now mate but thanks. Looking at breaking into the SLR market, just dont want to spend £700 and realise I'm crap at it haha!

Thanks again mate.

no probs old fruit i was the same but i ended up just biting the bullet and just went for it,it is alot though i have to admit,boys and there toys ah when that would go along way towards mods lol.Ryan

You could go for a new Canon 1000D, although you way be disappointed with it long term. You could up your budget by £120 and go for the FAR BETTER Canon 450D, plus the lens is a lot better also.

I could buy a hawkeye STi (again), or a load of classics for the price I've spent on camera gear. You think mods are expensive? B)

Edited by 4hero

Have a look on ebay Stewart. I picked up a really good condition Nikkon D70 for about £175 with a basic lens last year. You'll get loads of folk saying Canon this and Nikkon that, but just get what you can afford. Like you, I enjoy taking loads of pics and didn't want to spend the earth then find out I'm pants at the photography lark. I picked the D70 after reading loads of reviews, and came to the conclusion that because it has the drive for the lenses built into the camera then I'm not limited to the much newer and more expensive lenses with built in motors. I also was used to the Nikkon layout after owning a few 35mm SLR Nikkons in the past. I'd suggest that you do a bit of research, then have a look on ebay and see what sort of kit you can afford.

If for no other reason, then get a DSLR because it's sooo easy to take pics compared to a compact. And you'll end up taking 5 times as many to pick out some good-uns from. I'm still messing about with different settings and different processing techniques. B)

I still have the Nikon D50 and do okay with it. I did spend £300 on a 70-300mm VR but that's all I use mainly...I also have the 18-55mm that comes with the camera and even with just those 2 lenses and a flash you can do so much. You can see some of my pics in the Random Photo Thread in Off Topic. If you just want to try it then you can spend as little as Phil has and still get a taste for it.

The difference between them all is so small that the average amateur will get the best results from the one they find easiest to use.

Generally speaking, the body is not so important for amateurs, the lenses are where its really worth investing the money. Although having said that, the real budget entry level such as the Canon 1000D are quite restricted, so it really is worth spending a fraction more for something around the 450D mark, then you have a body that you would never need to upgrade unless you become a pro!

There's some great, barely used second hand kit knocking around on Ebay (people always feel then need to upgrade every time they bring out a new body!), so you should be able to pick up a decent mid-amateur range body & lens without breaking the bank!

First job though, have a play with the different bodies and find out which make you are most comfortable using!

You'll get a refurb'd 500D on the eBay for that kind of money. A friend just bought one for his wife, and I had a good look over it and it's tippity top. My 350d I got 2 years ago was also a certified refurb job, and 17000 shutter presses later it's still going great guns.

With your budget you will get something perfect second hand on the ebay!

A good Canon body such as the 450 or 350D and a universal range lens, possibly the 28-135mm IS??

Go to peeps with good feedback on their camera gear and you can't really go wrong. I know sniffs about Nikon but apparently its okay stuff as well! ;-}

Got a new camera today, this means I have a surplus Canon 350D, 18-55mm lens, Canon BG-E3 battery grip, two batteries, and I'll throw in a couple of memory cards too B) All boxed, and in excellent working order! The 350D has a few dust spots in the viewfinder, but this doesn't show in the photos.

Make me an offer :D