Dslr Camera

Peeps,

Hoping to get my first DSLR camera for my birthday and think I've narrowed it down to Nikon and Canon. Looking for some guidance on which make and model is best for my upto £400 budget and where to buy from please.

All/any help appreciated

Cheers

Gus

Edited by Gus the Bus

Canon, but I'm biased :thumbup:

Best thing to do Gus is head into Edinburgh (west end), and try them out in Jessops (or Jacobs, next door to Jessops), it really is the best way to get a feel for the camera. I wasn't keen on the Nikon user interface (the menu 'n stuff), hence opting for Canon. You could be pushing it with £400 to be honest, in the Canon range you'll only get the 1000D for that price, and I hear it isn't that great <_< You'd be better (honestly) up-ing the budget to £520 for the 500D, that's for the body only. Since it's your birthday, and you've helped me out a few times, I'll give you the kit lens I got with my camera for free :occasion14:

As for buying, I can't be a***d waiting so buy from Jessops normally. Warehouseexpress is excellent though.

You think modding your scooby is expensive....

edited to add, if you are not bothered about video, then the 450D is a great buy. Keep your eye on camerapricebuster for price comparisons!

Edited by 4hero

I think you'll find people approve of my pics in the random thread etc and they were all taken on my Nikon D50 :occasion14: It's just Scooby vs Evo, Apple vs MS, Rangers vs Celtic - same old crap. Both Nikons and Canons are excellent - just try them - I found my D50 much more solid compared to a 350D I think it was. Just try them in the shops then go buy them elsewhere (Digital Rev is great - from HK but well known and respected)

Gus, you'd be as well as saying you love Evo's on here - akin to getting a Nikon. Nikons give you aids, the bad kind.

Be one of the good guys and get a Canon. Go on, oh go on.

ha,ha,................Andy talkin' pish again,you better go and p.m. Col666 and tell him and the Power Images guys that" Nikons give you aids"..............and you can get your baws kicked into touch the next time you visit Knockhill :occasion14:

p.s. i have a Nikon............but strangely,no aids.

Gus - this guy is in Scotland - I actually got my Nikon VR 70-300mm lens from him and picked it up from his sister's house in Fife somewhere iirc! The house was stacked with Canon gear but he has been going years and is well known - he gets great prices and altho he is on Ebay he is great to deal with direct. http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/kerso/ - use contact seller and you'll get his email address. His name is Ian Kerr.

Re the Digital Rev (and other HK shops) - some come with an international warranty which Nikon or Canon will honour - DigitalRev also have their own 12 month warranty free of charge - others have a Mack warranty which is a 3rd party who are supposed to be better and faster than the actual manufacturers for warranty work and speed of delivery/return!

You will get cheaper from HK but if u buy in the UK you have the peace of mind about having a UK warranty. Have you checked Amazon? Have you considered 2nd hand too? A lot of people sell them with very little use - bit like mountain bikes or bread makers...seems a good idea but it sits idle :occasion14:

Also, just remembered: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digital-slr-cameras/b3065

Edited by pmacFTO

Well I own a D700 and love it to death, but I must say the Canon is a very capable camera but I just cant gel with it. The Nikons are better built but Canon offer more bang for buck so it boils down to how you like a camera. Gotta say I enjoy a good larf about Nikon Canon but come on keep it real........Besides Nikons make yer willy bigger.....FACT.

Edited by Spooks

Personally, I would say there is so little between Nikon or Canon, it doesn't matter which you get. I have friends with Nikons and I use a Canon 450D and you can't really pick a winner from the photos themselves. For me it all comes down to ease of use. The Canon just works for me, everything is where I expect it and it just feels logical to use and set-up. Give me a Nikon and I'm completely lost, everything seems to be in the wrong place and I can't set it up to save my life. The result is I can take far better pictures with a Canon than I can with a Nikon.

My friends with Nikons are the exact opposite. They are really comfortable with their cameras and find my Canon as unusable as I find their Nikons! Its really just a case of what you know and how you think as to which will appeal more to you. As said above, go into a shop (or find friends) and play with them both at the same time, go though the menus and try adjusting the settings etc. The chances are, one of them will stand out as being far more usable than the other, so that's your camera! :occasion14:

Gus, your better trying both, and see what feels right.

I went the Canon route because I prefered how it felt in my hands, and how the menu and settings systems operated. It just felt more natural.

But my mate went the Nikon route, for more or less the exact same reasons. So everyone is different to what they want or like.

He did admit last year when we were down at Silverstone for the Time Attack, that he thought my 40d gave slightly better photos than his D90. :occasion14: