V-power Where

Rumours abound...

Speaking to the woman in Shell Camelon this evening, she believed that the shortage was due to Shell bringing out a new formula for V-Power, and that the tanks have to be cleaned out before it's introduced, and that the new fuel will have a 'higher octane' and everything... :lol:

All sounds very promising, but sort of contradicts the official response, which puts the shortage down to 'unforeseeable circumstances'. Perhaps there's some truth behind both stories, but that the alleged reformulation isn't actually the reason for the current situation.

Hearsay aside - I hope that, together, we can make it through this most difficult of times B)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours abound...

Speaking to the woman in Shell Camelon this evening, she believed that the shortage was due to Shell bringing out a new formula for V-Power, and that the tanks have to be cleaned out before it's introduced, and that the new fuel will have a 'higher octane' and everything... :P

All sounds very promising, but sort of contradicts the official response, which puts the shortage down to 'unforeseeable circumstances'. Perhaps there's some truth behind both stories, but that the alleged reformulation isn't actually the reason for the current situation.

Hearsay aside - I hope that, together, we can make it through this most difficult of times :D

Thats the closest to the truth on this thread, whats actually happening is the fuels now do not have an ethanol content but they are introducing E85, the problem arrises when they try to introduce the new fuels to existing tanks hence the requirement for cleaning.

Its not the tanks that get cleaned its the fuel within the tanks to allow E85 be dropped without any water content issues.

What they do is called fuel polishing whereby they drop a pot of diesel in an empty tank and use a process to clear all the water out the product,they then drop the new E85 grade fuels in the tanks.That is only the case if the tanks are steel, if they are GRP then they have to be re-lined as the E85 content can eat away at the GRP lining.

If anybody wishes to see the full process of Fuel polishing drop me an e-mail to davidh@foxconstruction.co.uk and i will gladly send on the document on how its done.

In the meantime i will drop a note to the guy that supplies all the fuel grades to us when we are commissioning up a petrol station after refurbishment to see what the true story is regarding V power?

Regards

Davie

Thats the closest to the truth on this thread, whats actually happening is the fuels now do not have an ethanol content but they are introducing E85, the problem arrises when they try to introduce the new fuels to existing tanks hence the requirement for cleaning.

Its not the tanks that get cleaned its the fuel within the tanks to allow E85 be dropped without any water content issues.

What they do is called fuel polishing whereby they drop a pot of diesel in an empty tank and use a process to clear all the water out the product,they then drop the new E85 grade fuels in the tanks.That is only the case if the tanks are steel, if they are GRP then they have to be re-lined as the E85 content can eat away at the GRP lining.

If anybody wishes to see the full process of Fuel polishing drop me an e-mail to davidh@foxconstruction.co.uk and i will gladly send on the document on how its done.

In the meantime i will drop a note to the guy that supplies all the fuel grades to us when we are commissioning up a petrol station after refurbishment to see what the true story is regarding V power?

Regards

Davie

Cheers for the info Davie :D

If this is right enough, then I wonder how the new V-Power will compare with Morrisons' E85, which has has a RON rating of around 107 - enough to require a remap if you usually run Regular or Super Unleaded.

Hmmmmmm..... the thot plickens.....

What does that mean Brian?

Davie

I'm thinking if some tanks need relined and others need emptied flushed etc it's not likely to be back within a few days for many garages?

My local in Whitburn has been down half it's tanks for about 6 months as water got into the fuel and the tanks cracked apparently - ongoing dispute between delivery company and station I believe.

Brian :D

My local in Whitburn has been down half it's tanks for about 6 months as water got into the fuel and the tanks cracked apparently - ongoing dispute between delivery company and station I believe.

Brian :D

that could explain why the van has been running rough after filling up with v-power deisel out that way the other day, garage has changed the fuel filter and full of crap/water

Fuel polishing only takes a day.

Shell Whitburn and Penichuick are both down on our programme for re-pumps and forecourt works late July!!! 6-8 week contracts.

Cheers chaps.

Davie

Stonelaw Towers in Burnside has been pulled from the programme, Bugger!!!

Edited by corsa
that could explain why the van has been running rough after filling up with v-power deisel out that way the other day, garage has changed the fuel filter and full of crap/water

Dirty Barstewards, i filled my transit tank at the shell witburn about 2/3 weeks ago before heading down the M8 to Edinburgh, now my engine light is on intermittently in the Transit :D ratserse :P

Fuel polishing only takes a day.

Shell Whitburn and Penichuick are both down on our programme for re-pumps and forecourt works late July!!! 6-8 week contracts.

Cheers chaps.

Davie

Stonelaw Towers in Burnside has been pulled from the programme, Bugger!!!

Good to know - cheers Davie :D

not had v power in stoney for months as esso now run the garage no superunleaded from them either so have to use bp at 125 a litre nearest v power is aberdeen as it doesnt warrent a round trip of 30 miles to save 50p

wonderin if sainsburys super unleaded is any use??

Guys, apologies for mis informing as i checked back an e-mail i had originally sent to Shell Distribution and the responses are below.

To date i have not had a response from Technical re the RON values.

Regards

1. Why is there so much of a price variation between sites and also it appears that dealer sites are overpriced and do Shell have any control over this?

2. Will Shell be going down the E85 route or similar?

3. Will the E85 bring the RON values up and will it have any effect on the running of highly tuned vehicles?

1. On Shell Company-owned sites, V-power products stand 6-7p off standard grades. Shell Company-owned sites will match the nearest super/hypermarket on it's standard grades, so any variation in our prices is driven by local trading conditions, but they shouldn't be that great. Dealer site prices depend on the type of deal they are on, so variations may be more pronounced. Some Dealers do premium price, and, no, we cannot prevent them doing this. I personally have seen Dealers charging up to 20p per litre above standard grade price.

2. No plans at present. Unless there is a push from Government to do so, we would be unlikely to increase ethanol content.

3. Don't know. I've e-mailed a colleague at The Shell Technology Centre. I'll pass her reply on when I get it.

The above are only my own views and do not represent any official comment.