Tyre Question

Hello,

MOT time today, got an advisory on NSF tyre - looks to me like it's actually the spare thats on judging the other tyres wear (other roughly 5-6mm)

So the question is, on the spare PFF7 I have in the garage is a brand new Goodyear F1 - is this ok to fit with the other "worn" tyres, or will this have an effect on the car mechanicly or otherwise.

I'm sure I was told years ago 4wd/AWD cars need tyres changed all round??

Regards

Charlie

Sorry tyres are my sticking point.

Just compare the price of tyres compared to not stopping in time and smashing your car and possibly yourself up.

At the very least you should have two tyres on the same axle with the same tread.

Sorry about this, but I would only use the same brand and type all around with the same wear on the same axle.

Barry.

I would never EVER mix tyres on an AWD car. As said above, always change tyres at least in pairs. Any difference in rolling diameter can upset the handling and also cause excess wear to the diffs. Also a difference between the front and rear axles can wear the centre diff, so ideally, you should always change all four tyres.

Sounds a bit odd that you have one tyre completely different wear than the rest! :lol:

Agree with the above comments.. When I first got my impreza it had mismatched tyres front/rear and handling was a bit unpredictable.. Fresh set of bridgestones all round and things were far better balanced!

BTW - How many people actually rotate your tyres front to rear? I've spoken to a few drivers about this recently and very few have even thought about rotating tyres to even up tyre wear. I guess it could cause an imbalance for a while until they settle into their new role but does mean more even tyre wear over the life of the tyre.. *coughs* depending on how hard you drive :)

I would never EVER mix tyres on an AWD car. As said above, always change tyres at least in pairs. Any difference in rolling diameter can upset the handling and also cause excess wear to the diffs. Also a difference between the front and rear axles can wear the centre diff, so ideally, you should always change all four tyres.

:) couldn't have put it better my self, ive had a similar coversation with a friend (also a scooby driver), he couldn't see what i was on about