Brakes

At the moment have the standard 4pots the Newage WRX is given. I have OEM discs and uprated pads.

The 4pots will soon however need a refurb - pistons to be exact. Now just found out these + kit aren't cheap, and if getting one piston done might as well get them all done !!

I would like to, hopefully one day, upgrade my WRX with STi performance parts to bring the car up to 330-340bhp mark.

The dilemma. Do I :

- leave the 4pots on and get refurbed (are these sufficient for the higher bhp ?)

- source some 2nd hand Brembos (seems to be about £300-£500 with discs/pads - is that right ??. And would it just be fronts I needed??)

- would love the K-sport ones on gb on snet but at £850 budget miles off !!

Appreciate advice/pointers from those in the know !

(Kenny - sorry you're not allowed to reply :huh: )

At the moment have the standard 4pots the Newage WRX is given. I have OEM discs and uprated pads.

The 4pots will soon however need a refurb - pistons to be exact. Now just found out these + kit aren't cheap, and if getting one piston done might as well get them all done !!

I would like to, hopefully one day, upgrade my WRX with STi performance parts to bring the car up to 330-340bhp mark.

The dilemma. Do I :

- leave the 4pots on and get refurbed (are these sufficient for the higher bhp ?)

- source some 2nd hand Brembos (seems to be about £300-£500 with discs/pads - is that right ??. And would it just be fronts I needed??)

- would love the K-sport ones on gb on snet but at £850 budget miles off !!

Appreciate advice/pointers from those in the know !

(Kenny - sorry you're not allowed to reply :P )

Colin you break my heart B) I will say this though ,the fronts are enough :huh: Whatever you decide you will still be :D my car :D

K-sports are nice :D

Cheers

Kenny

I'd stick with the four pots and refurb them. I wouldn't use any second hand sh!te that anybody 'says' is this and that. Buy new and be sure! If you find out they aren't up to the job when you up the power, then you can always change the damaged panels on the front of your car to Hawkeye ones when you crash and once you've rebuilt it everyone will think you have a new car too - everyone's a winner! B)

Kenny :D

On a more serious note, I'd refurb yours first. If you're not happy with them after the power hike then you have refurbed ones for sale which is a good Classic upgrade for someone I believe? You can then recoup some of your new brake outlay!

Kenny: can I have my commission now please? :huh:

Must be the festive spirit coming out - good humour lads !!

You two are in cahoots - like I didn't expect it :huh: !!

Thanks for the advice.

Trying not to sway one way or the other but I get the feeling sometimes that what I have on at mo just isn't stopping quick enough, maybe I expect too much from them, or maybe the pistons are making them underperform - argh, I don't know. I might just buy a big anchor and through it out when want to stop quick ??

I'd stick with the four pots and refurb them. I wouldn't use any second hand sh!te that anybody 'says' is this and that. Buy new and be sure!

I agree... H*LL yeah!

Scrimping and saving on safety kit is a no brainer mate. Try uprated pads/ discs... lots of differing opinions on what's best. EBC are worth a look, but if you go for Yellows, uprated the discs too as standard discs fade a bit with the harsher pad.

Glyn

Must be the festive spirit coming out - good humour lads !!

You two are in cahoots - like I didn't expect it :D !!

Thanks for the advice.

Trying not to sway one way or the other but I get the feeling sometimes that what I have on at mo just isn't stopping quick enough, maybe I expect too much from them, or maybe the pistons are making them underperform - argh, I don't know. I might just buy a big anchor and through it out when want to stop quick ??

Make sure it's not Anchor butter you get :huh:

Barry what is your Paypal address(SSSHHHH don't tell Colin)

If it were me I'd save up your pennies and get a set of K sport brakes.

But in the meantime I'd get a decent set of grooved discs and uprated pads to match, which will be a noticeable improvement over your standard 4-pot discs tbh.

I think Godspeed is doing a Xmas special on 4-pot grooved discs for something daft like £59 over on Snet group buy????

I've got Tarox Sport Japan grooved and drilled discs with mintex extreme pads on the front and standard set up on the back, refurbished calipers all round. I think they are a MASSIVE improvement on the standard ones but I agree with what has been said above - If you've got the cash go for a big brake kit like the K sports.

if you can get guaranteed brembos give them a go,otherwise try and get the pennies together for the k sports

i found the 4 pots just werent up to the job on my classics,cracked 4 sets of standard discs then moved onto uprated mintex grooved discs and pads with braided hoses which helped but not a patch on the brembos on my sti -one of the main reasons i went for an sti when i changed

Hmm, difficult one. I'd do some serious research on aftermarket brake kits. Having bigger discs does not always mean better brakes. if you go down a big brake kit consider fitting a master cylinder brace. This will stop the master cylinder trying to bend the bullkhead.

if you can get guaranteed brembos give them a go,otherwise try and get the pennies together for the k sports

i found the 4 pots just werent up to the job on my classics,cracked 4 sets of standard discs then moved onto uprated mintex grooved discs and pads with braided hoses which helped but not a patch on the brembos on my sti -one of the main reasons i went for an sti when i changed

Aren't stock STI Brembos 4 pots? Or am I picking you up wrong? What are you running now? STI brembos with braided hoses?

Glyn

that was standard subaru 4 pots on my uk classics Glyn, im a blobeye sti man now lol

ive braided hoses with 5.1 fluid now and as of tomorrow godspeed 2 piece discs.... did look at the ksport 8 pots but the sti brembo's are really good calipers so hopefully the better discs will improve things enough for just now

If it were me I'd save up your pennies and get a set of K sport brakes.

But in the meantime I'd get a decent set of grooved discs and uprated pads to match, which will be a noticeable improvement over your standard 4-pot discs tbh.

I think Godspeed is doing a Xmas special on 4-pot grooved discs for something daft like £59 over on Snet group buy????

As much as I'd like K-sport the bank isn't for breaking (or is that braking....oh, see what I did there :D ) on that piece of kit.

The SNet Godspeed buy, I can't help but feel wary at that price for the pair, but the guy does have a good name so reckon they'd decent??

Suggestions on pads to compliment the grooved discs then ? I know it is personal opinion but that's really what I'm after - good ones and ones to avoid.

Am I right in saying you should really buy new pads when replacing discs ?

Edited by C_WRX

as said ive just got a pair of 2 piece discs from him and they certainly look good,havent fitted them yet but il keep you updated. i went for ferodo 2500 pads after hearing a lot of positive stuff but they were dear.

had mintex 1144 pads before and they were a decent cost effective step up

Am also watching this thread with interest as I need to replace the discs and pads on my wrx. Had been looking at the grooved disc group buy on Scoobynet for either Godspeed or Aztec Performance.

Just wondering if anyone had bought any of their kit and could recommend them or if I should be looking anywhere else? Like C_WRX I am a bit suspicious that the Godspeed discs are so cheap.

Cheers,

Peter