Considering Moving To The Dark Side!

Well seem to be having endless troubles with my car of late and now I need two new sills for the MOT in Feb.

Im getting the feeling it won't change and I constantly have things wrong with the car.

I have now got to the stage that I carry a pretty comprehensive tool kit in the boot just incase which to be honest is stupid.

I have been looking at Evo 9 Fq360's which seem to be a pretty serious car out straight of the box.

Only 2 maybe 3 years old at a push so should be more reliable than a 10 year old Impreza?

I know the tax will be £400 but to be honest I don't realy care.

And before anybody says buy a newage! No I don't like them.

So convince me why I shouldn't sell up?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are you looking at paying for the evo? You can get a 2.5 cossie lump fitted for 13 grand, you'll need a ppg gear kit which is about another 3-4. I'd like to see an evo that could catch you then! Plus the engine would be 2-3 years newer than the evo. That's what i'd prefer rather than an evo if it was my money. That's an extreme case obviously but you could probably rebuild your car with new parts for evo 9 money.

I think although you don't like newages it would be worth driving both as a comparison. Classics and Newages are completely different beasts so don't judge the Evo against your RB5.

Check the service intervals on the Evo heard they can be every 5000 miles.

Hope you stay on the right side but personal choice wins. And we'll never talk to you again. :thumbup:

sounds like you got aint got a very good example of a classic impreza there. I've got a 96sti RA vltd and its solid, track days and all. starts every time, no rust as I've had the underside sealed. I'm not a great fan of the newage scoobs either, they lack the raw feeling of the classic

I did like the idea of a newer evo at one point, until I sat in one; It sounded like a washing machine on spin cycle!

So I'd say get rid of your current scoob, and buy another classic thats been well looked after, and has a good spec,

Think I may have been unluck but in the 6 months I have needed

A set of BC coilovers (because genuine shocks were more ££) £600

New disks and pads at the rears £150

2 new wheel bearings including labour £400

I now require new disks @£400

new pads £125

sills to be fixed £500

then there is the fact my insurance went up to £600

fair enough a FQ360 would be £17-£20k but to be honest at least I could drive it every day without thinking it might break down at any point

Maybe you are just going through a bad spell with the car, as we all do at times when they are needing a few things. Then again if you don't trust, and as a result, don't like the car anymore then maybe just as well to get rid of it.

I can't comment on the Evo having never owned one, other than to say I do get tempted myself quite often! If you had to go that way I'd maybe go for a nice VII... a bit newer than your RB5 at least.

I know you're not keen on a newage Scooby but I would urge you to give one a go, and you could get a cracking reliable mental STI for a lot less than £17-20K..

Good luck,

Mark

new pads £125

sills to be fixed £500

fair enough a FQ360 would be £17-£20k but to be honest at least I could drive it every day without thinking it might break down at any point

Looking at some of your prices you are paying over the top for some items. I wouldnt pay £400 for wheel bearings I changed both front hubs on my RA with two low mileage newage hubs cost £80 and 1 hour to fit both.

Also £400 for4 two front discs also seems excessive :thumbup:

the problem is uk classics are getting old and if they havent been looked after bodywork wise, since new, then they are starting to show it now. this is what costs the money to put right.

the likes of yer shocks, bearings etc are just wear and tear items that need replaced after a certain usage which is fair enough. fit the parts your self and they cost pennies to replace.

im going to be selling my uk too, mechanically its fine, but ive already replaced one rear arch (cost a fair bit) and given what the cars book value is now it wont be economical to do more bodywork if any other issues arise further down the line. once any panels have been repaired they wont last as long as clean looked after originals IMHO.

Sounds to me like you are having a rough time of it there mate.

As was said before, with the kind of cash you are talking about spending on an ***9, you could have a serious classic on your hands. I went without a scoob before but never lasted more than a few months, I missed the burble far too much.

Before you head for the dark side, have you actually driven an STi blobeye, hawkeye or hatch?

I was in your situation with my 1994 wrx type ra spent a fortune on it in 4 year it had 3 gearbox`s 3 clutches so most of the time i used my girlfriends car so i decided to buy a newer car, my girlfriends uncle had a fq340 tuned to 415 bhp it was an ausome car but it was also 1 of the most uncomfortable cars i`ve sat in. a firend of mines brother had fq360 and told me every time he took it out and gave it a thrashing it had to go mitsubishi constant problems with cluth, flywheel,rear diff and drive shafts. so i had a think and decided on a wr1 and i can honestly say its the best car i`ve driven and can say that i have gave it a few good thrashings since february and it has never gave me any caus for consern, stick with a subaru at the end of the day you can`t see it from the inside.

At the end of the day your car is an RB5!!! many people would luv one of them.....yeh you have had to spend some pennies but as said its all wear and tare items!! trust me i have been in your position..... especially since doing major mods to my car, at times i was like bugger it im selling it!! but then come to my senses when i realised how much i would miss it :lol:

Get your car through its MOT and see what happens....if it continues to burn through your wallet, go for the evo.......but you may just find it only gets better and you look back saying.......WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!! :)

Jase

Edited by green_goblin

ciaran i know exactly where you are,exactly how i felt when my last classic was coming up for 6 years and 60k miles and just seemed to be eating money. the thing you cant put a price on is listening for noises and wondering if somethings going to break every time your out,once you start thinking that theres no way back i think. i got a great px deal against an 05 sti and have never regretted it -tried a few evos and they just didnt do it for me,too clinical cornering on smooth roads and too hard to be hustled down b roads. try a new age sti with a power hike and decent suspension,makes a world of difference over a standard one. could even arrange a spin in one if you want-hawian shirts optional :lol:

ciaran i know exactly where you are,exactly how i felt when my last classic was coming up for 6 years and 60k miles and just seemed to be eating money. the thing you cant put a price on is listening for noises and wondering if somethings going to break every time your out,once you start thinking that theres no way back i think. i got a great px deal against an 05 sti and have never regretted it -tried a few evos and they just didnt do it for me,too clinical cornering on smooth roads and too hard to be hustled down b roads. try a new age sti with a power hike and decent suspension,makes a world of difference over a standard one. could even arrange a spin in one if you want-hawian shirts optional :lol:

May take you up on that as iv been in a bugeye and hawkeye and driven a bugeye but found it awful boring although i never got to drive it in anger.

Edited by ciaranrb5

I had the same trouble as you are having at the moment, except mine was with an evo 5 (5years ago).

Dont get me wrong they are very capable cars but since ive had 3 scoobs now i dont think ill ever look back. In my first year of Evo ownership i threw over 3.5k at it just in repair bills. First of all clutch went, then the Active Yaw Control went (1500quid to fix) then the diff packed up. MOT time and had front discs to replace due to corrosion (only had them fitted for 9 months). Car had full service history and was well looked after by the previous owner who i knew.

Was out in a hawkeye sti the other day and i'd get a test drive in one before jumping the gun into buying an evo. You will be impressed!! The evos are really harsh on the road, worse than tein superstreets even with their standard suspension.

Its up to yourself though mate, by all means try the evo but i can nearly guarantee that you will go back to a scoob very shortly afterwards.

Joe

At the end of the day your car is an RB5!!! many people would luv one of them.

But at the end of the day it's a rotten one. Once you replace the sills, it'll just be something else and you'll end up chasing the rust around the car. No point in throwing money into a car you're not going to get back. New sills won't exactly add to the grin factor of driving the car.

My car's a year older than yours and i've been fortunate enough to never have to spend any money on it other than the mods i've done but now the rear arches have started to blister i'm guessing this'll be the start of it. As soon as i have to spend money on welding, it'll get stripped and skipped because it's not worth a lot at the moment never mind when it's rotting away.

new pads £125

sills to be fixed £500

Wear and tear as noted... bet it rides better on the coilovers though!

And you reckon a £17K FQ360's gonna be cheaper? Not MUCH I suspect, mate!

Newage JDM Spec-Cs on Litchfield Imports for that sort of money... AND you don't have the 4.5K mile Evo service interval (X excepted)... OR lose the burble!

... AND, lets face it... if you have to come on here and ask us to PERSUADE you not to sell up... You ain't serious anyway! *chuckle*

Safe travels mate... I know you have an offshore stint coming up.

Glyn

Nice comment Kev.......just cause it needs a bit of bodywork doesn't mean bin it!! :lol:

Kev thinks it does!! I sorted my rear arches already. Was planning to strip the car down over the winter cut out all the rust and give her a respray now I have the facilities.

I have actually asked a similar question to this on an EVO forum and id say 1/3 of them are saying buy a newer impreza.