2008 Sti

Well now if any of you guys and girls have read the insurance thread you will gather im not happy with my car!

Just to re-cap:

1. Full alarm replaced due to constant false alarms

2. Constant noise from boot which i sorted myself

3. Front brake pads gave up the ghost and started grinding and squealing at 5000 mls and were replaced under warranty

4. The standard Subaru engine mapping was wrong causing detonation on no4 cylinder which could lead to total engine failure.It sounded like gunfire.

5. My nice £1700 option luseric silver wheels were badly corroded after 8 months

6. It is booked in this coming Saturday to have the fuel pump replaced as it squeals when priming when the ignition is switched on.

The tailgate paint is flaking off where it contacts the latch assembly because the weather seal has a hard point in it.

I changed the oil and filter approx 7 weeks ago and after not even covering 500 miles it has dropped to between full and half mark already.It has no leaks.

The trim plastics used around the tailgate.dash doors etc will never last the life of the car because they are so cheap and nasty.

Now dont get me wrong here,it performs great but at £26,000 i reckon Subaru could up the anti a good bit and use better materials and get this damn engine problem sorted.

After consultation with my dealer (not their fault,they dont build the squib) the reply was "forget what its made of its a good car and wont let you down"

Well im sorry im considering selling it,im sick to the back teeth of it!

Edited by billyboy

After being in the car trade, I would never buy a car brand new of it being released within 3 years. New cars are tested and tested but the real test comes when the car goes out and is used and abused by the public. Common faults are noted by dealer garages and bigger issues develop into recalls and problems are started to be solved.

These issues are resolved on average over a period of...tada, youve guessed it...3 years.

Your situation really does suck to be honest, to have so many issues with a new car shouldnt be put up with and ultimately at this point I would be rejecting the car. Youve been supplied a car that isn't fit for the purpose that it was designed for. Basically its faulty and up to the dealer you bought it from to pursue, I would be seeking compensation of somekind.

What dealer are you going through. S&S or Halley's.

Edited by StewartyBoy

have had the engine problem and a new tracker fitted so know how you feel. What did you do to sort the boot problem. Did think about getting rid but just can find anything else with the day to day drivability and performance, really not keen on 2wd or the new EVO.

I believe the map in the 08 sti is dodgy causes det at high RPM's and melts cylinder 4 piston. The reason it melts so easy is because its cast and not forged like the hawkeye pistons

Are you sure Hawkeye pistons are forged? The WRX ones certainly aren't, and Im pretty sure I read somewhere that the STi derivative uses the same pistons.

I believe the map in the 08 sti is dodgy causes det at high RPM's and melts cylinder 4 piston. The reason it melts so easy is because its cast and not forged like the hawkeye pistons

As far as I can deduce, the Hawkeye pistons are - as in all Impreza 2.5 turbo engines - cast rather than forged (the crank and conrods are still forged). Cast pistons I believe are now the reserve of the JDM-spec 2.0.

The Hawkeyes (gladly!) don't feature a lean-running map.

have had the engine problem and a new tracker fitted so know how you feel. What did you do to sort the boot problem. Did think about getting rid but just can find anything else with the day to day drivability and performance, really not keen on 2wd or the new EVO.

To cure the noise from the boot.

Remove the load luggage blind.

Remove the two self tappers that hold the spring loaded end together and take out the spring.

Cut off about half a coil of the spring apply grease to both ends of the spring and where it sits in the plastic.

Rebuild,fit to car.No noise.

What im thinking about is GETTING A CLASSIC.LOL

Dealer has offered to sell it for me.I think i just might.

ive worked in the trade as well for years and know all about new car wait a couple of years etc etc.

But it still has the same running gear except for chocolate pistons and it is a damn good driving car.

I just dont trust it to go any length of time without the engine giving up the ghost im afraid.Even tho ive had the software upgrade done.

What really cracks me up is i had to advise the dealer about the remap as Duncan at Hypertech told me about it after his engine went bang and i

also told the dealer that it was the tilt sensor that needed replaced to stop the false alarms after other members on here had the same problem.

Edited by billyboy