Driving Road And Camping Recommendions

well the only camping area i know of is reasonably priced grassy area at the bottom of my garden- yours for 2 goats and donkeys ass a night sir

for roads the struy is essential,skiach services to bonar bridge then carry on up past shin falls(nice viewpoint) to lairg and beyond. also around inversneckie itself try the road from drumnadrochit to beauly over culnakirk -ideally go from beauly to drum then turn round and come back

Heading up north on Monday for a couple of days camping.

Been a while since I ventured north of Inverness so looking for some advice for suitable areas to venture towards that will satisfy both my camping needs and the requirements of the Banana.

Thanks in advance

Where abouts you heading?

Cheers Iain

No idea about locations, interested to hear peoples suggestons though.. Not sure I could afford the donkeys for dave's place :)

But a quick warning if your still running those semi-slicks.. Supposed to be a little wet at the start of the week, getting much better wed onwards... But I guess you've probably already checked that... :lol:

well the only camping area i know of is reasonably priced grassy area at the bottom of my garden- yours for 2 goats and donkeys ass a night sir

for roads the struy is essential,skiach services to bonar bridge then carry on up past shin falls(nice viewpoint) to lairg and beyond. also around inversneckie itself try the road from drumnadrochit to beauly over culnakirk -ideally go from beauly to drum then turn round and come back

it's the how I persuade a donkey to let a mad human interfere with it in exchange for camping fees that may prove costly.

Does Creiff still have the smallest Shell station in the known universe?

Probably be Mon night that I will head out to set up the tent as base camp and use Tues and Wed to explore the surrounding area

Cheers

I don't have any firm destination in mind. Only firm requirement is to be within reasonable distance of a Shell station.

Cheers

Ok I think the last Shell station is in Inverness up near the hospital, I believe there are no others further north :lol:, I go up that way atleast twice a year visiting family and have not found another yet so I take Octane booster with me.

If you are heading further north than Inverness I have to recommend the B9176 between The Skiach services on the A9 to Ardgay then if you fancy it just keep going North towards Tongue via Lairg, these roads have been described as some of the best in the country for both driving and scenery, its such a shame there is no V-Power up there, not sure about camping facilities but I am certain there are plenty available.

Cheers Iain

Here's a nice trip route for you Grant,

Dingwall up to Garve - Watch the contin to garve section its more like a rally stage with blind over crest of camber corners that could catch you out if you don't know it.

From Garve follow the Ullapool road, turn left onto A832 at Corrieshalloch gorge.

Follow the A832 road right round coast taking in some lovely scenery like Little Loch Broom, Gruinard Bay(anthrax island) with its lovely sandy beaches, Aultbea, Poolewe & Gairloch (more golden beaches).

The A832 starts of gentle twisty roads before getting to more long open section till just past Little Loch Broom then it gets really twisty, once past Gruinard Bay you climb up round the coast round some lovely twisty tight road that continues all the way to Gairloch :lol:

From Gairloch follow the road down to Achnasheen which is a nice flowing road.

Then back down to Garve, this section has really long nice straights for miles just watch as police do go up there from time to time with the camera as its just begs you to open the car up.

Then back to Dingwall.

I can do it in a tank in the wr1 with some spare, not sure what the Banana's like for fuel but as a guide the wr1 only averages 200ish miles from a tank.

Another is Garve to Achnasheen then onto Kyle of Lochalsh. From Kyle you can come back the way you went or back down the glen to Invermoriston then follow the Loch Ness road back to Inverness.

Another vote for the Struie road that Dave mentioned, thats my local fav right on my doorstep to :)

V power only available in Inverness & Beauly, but the are Gleaner Oils petrol stations about that have 98 super on tap like Skiach Services(for Struie & north trips) & West end filling station (as you leave Dingwall on Garve route)

I'm sure you'll enjoy & have fun which ever routes you take in :P

Ps watch there are a hell of a lot of dear on the roads in the highlands just now especially at dusk time, my mate hit one last week just after leaving mine.

Maybe DAve can confirm but I think there is a V-Power station in Beauly these days.. Next closest one would be Nairn but that's more east than north... :lol:

I only ever drive straight up the A9 to Inverness and it is certainly the last of the V-Power if you are heading further north, well from what I have seen anyway :)

Cheers Iain

Well there is another Shell station further north, but its in Thurso, and it sells Super unleaded... at 98RON IIRC... but its not optimax/v-power.... just super...

Not anymore there is not, I guess you are talking about the bridge end garage, its now a Gleaner and the only other super unleaded is an ESSO I think.

Cheers Iain

Hope you get the weather for it Grant & i would stay clear of strange men that have a fascination for donkeys, especially hawaiian ones :lol:

Take some jerry cans for fuel and you will be alright, i have 4 x 10L metal jobs from Skye run if you want a shot of them

Hope you get the weather for it Grant & i would stay clear of strange men that have a fascination for donkeys, especially hawaiian ones :blink:

didnt know you got hawian donkeys!!!! ooooo ;)

2nd route you mentioned Gee is the one we used for skye earlier,guessing Grants looking for new roads-the ullapool ones a good run, havent been on it for a few years now.

Mr Squiggle Sir i have every confidence in your smooth talking working with donkeys,youl find a way... and yes indeed crieff does still have the smallest most awkward shell known to man-but it has vpower as does beauly britains most northerly. both coincedentally just along from my house(crieff) and my old mans (beauly) -almost like we planned our living round vpower....