Track Car Project Thread - Eventually

looking very nice indeedy, suspensions got a very bling gucci look about it :D you must be running out of days now before the start of the season though :)

I have actually ran out of time and will miss the first event which is this weekend at Kames. It is only a single day event so not that concerned, I have decided to take the longer term view and get the car ready properly rather than compromise too many things. That said I am going to have to make some compromises that I hope wont bite me but hey thats the nature of the game.

Amazing. First time i've read the whole thing through. I'd love to do something like this in the future. :wub:

If you do decide to have a think about how much your social life means to you coz you wont have one once you start and your bank manager will love you ;)

Once again due to work etc I have not touched the car for a week but managed a full day on the car today and achieved quite a lot.

I have finally got round to mounting my ECU in its new bracket

CIMG1224.jpg

Still have some tidying up to do but all the wiring inside the car is pretty much complete

I have solved the clearance issues with the phase 1.5 manifold by removing my 18mm spacers and fitting a set of 10mm ones which Carl Davey posted rapido after a call for help - thanks Carl can always rely on you in a crisis :rotfl:

However after solving the problem I have had a change of plans and the pahse 1.5 manifold that looks so shiny is now sat here, anyone after a shiny rotated phase 1.5 manifold :P

CIMG1247.jpg

CIMG1248.jpg

So with no manifold it looks like this again :D

CIMG1226.jpg

But as I said a change of plans and another quality item from Stevensons Motorsport spares just happened to find its way to my garage :rotfl:

CIMG1241.jpg

Well be honest it really is to shiny to say no to :P This meant changing back to my original phase 1 fuel rails and swapping the injectors etc back over. While doing this I changed a couple of the fuel hoses as I wanted them a little longer so they can be routed as much as possible away from the water pipes and the block. I have used the two sets of spacers with the phase one manifold which spaces the manifold up a total of 28mm. This gives me plenty clearance under the manifold I have also changed back to my phase one throttle body and ICV. The only reason to going back to the phase 1 ICV is the pipe is in a better position for my plans and I know it works :rotfl:

I have also fitted Carl's alternator bracket and a light weight alternator. This bracket is brilliant it weighs next to nothing and fits perfectly with the Denso 40 Amp alternator which I sourced from ebay seller Electrostart2006.

CIMG1240.jpg

I have also fitted a newage power steering pump and lightened the bracket, which is lighter than the standard bracket anyway. As well as lightening it also creates a bit more space for some pipework :rotfl: . I have had the newage power steering supply pipe modded at Pirtek to give me the length I need. I will also fit a newage remote resevoir.

I have sat the new alloy radiator in place to measure up fitment of these

CIMG1243.jpg

CIMG1245.jpg

The last thing i got done today was cutting the bonnet for a set of aero catches. After my slight excursions at Doune last season the bonnet never really sat properly so decided to fit these so that it can be adjusted easier than just using the normal centre striker. They are not that hard to fit when the radiator is out. The first thing I done was mount the pins. I used the pads on the slam panel where the centre rubber bungs strike the slam panel. I then closed the bonnet marked where the pins struck the bonnet, I did this by lying down and marking the underside of the bonnet through the hole where the radiator usually sits. I then cut a hole in the inner skin with a hole saw so that I could see where the pins strike the outer skin.

CIMG1235.jpg

CIMG1236.jpg

Having done this I drilled a pilot hole from the underside right in the centre of the mark where the pins struck the outer skin. Now working from the top I drilled a another hole with a hole saw just big enough to allow the pins to come through the bonnet.

CIMG1233.jpg

With the pins through the bonnet I used the template provided to mark out the area to be cut out.

CIMG1234.jpg

I then used a couple of hole saws smaller than the diameter of the two ends to cut out as close as possible to the template. I then used a pad saw to cut the straights. It did need a fair bit of work with a file to get them to fit snuggly.

CIMG1238.jpg

CIMG1239.jpg

Then its just a case of using the catches to mark and drill the mounting bolt holes

CIMG1251.jpg

Didnt bolt the catches on straight away as I wanted to paint the edges to seal the bare alloy where I had been cutting.

Still have a fair bit to do including mounting the front calipers and PF pads.

CIMG1246.jpg

Thanks again to Alyn at AS Perfiormance for all the help with many of the spares and for digging out a set of caliper mounting bolts so that I dont have to go to the stealers and pay £6 ish a bolt :D

Feeling a bit happier about the car and confident now that the car will be ready for the Machars Sprint. :D

Edited by Arch
Will you be ready for Machars Arch ?

Pretty confident that I will make it unless I have a major disaster :) Hows your strut top and top mount? You really dont want to hit those rumble strips on the corners at the esses. How many times did you say "oh **** oh ****" the first time up ;)

Pretty confident that I will make it unless I have a major disaster :) Hows your strut top and top mount? You really dont want to hit those rumble strips on the corners at the esses. How many times did you say "oh **** oh ****" the first time up ;)

Strut and top mount not looking good, every day is a school day.

Looking forward to Machars now so i can whip your @ss :P

Jac

Well you will have to go quicker than you did the last time :wub:

come on boys stop the bickering

its a new set of bulls b******s you need instead of more horsepower

anyway evo getting new clutch and r888 s for machars so you two have no chance

catch you there

lol Don

Well not much to update at the minute. I have got the fans mounted and hope to start on the intercooler pipe work tonight but need to attend to the brakes on the road car first as they need some TLC - cars who said they were fun :lol:

Edited by Arch