Track Car Project Thread - Eventually

As stated above I managed to get the small tank in for Kames. There wasnt a massive weight saving really but it does tidy things up a little.

CIMG1504.jpg

CIMG1506.jpg

CIMG1507.jpg

The two days at Kames went really well. The car ran very well with just the seat to wheel interface the issue :whistle: It was a good feeling to be back driving the car and also good to get the class wins both days. That was unexpected to be honest but nice all the same

CIMG1473.jpg

CIMG1474.jpg

CIMG1479.jpg

CIMG1490.jpg

It really is like driving a different car from last year, although it looks pretty much the same there are a lot of things that have changed which have changed the way it behaves on track. It does still feel really well balanced and predictable which makes driving it easy.

I dont have anything to do to the car between now and the Golspie Sprint in September which is a bit of a strange feeling after the last 6 months. Straight after Golspie is Boyndie which is always a good event and very similar to golspie in many respects although Golspie is probably the faster circuit.

nice to finally see your car in action last weekend arch,your times were consistently getting better(apart from the last run)so more to come.well done :whistle:

i'll hopefully be out to play next year,not sure in what class yet though

Thanks I did deliberately go out to take it easy early on to make sure everything was as it should with the car, thats why I basically drove round the first practice on Sat and gradually cranked it up over the weekend. The time on the last run on Sun was slightly slower than the first run but that was down to me making errors that are purely due to not having any seat time at all up to this weekend. That said the car can go faster in its current set up, I have checked my times against last years and they are faster both ways but that is to be expected. It would be good to see more cars out next year as more competion for everyone forces everyones times down.

I found it hard to get motivated at Kames last year as it was often just me and John and there was no way i could get near his times at Kames and in fact I dropped most of my Kames scores last year. Hopefully next year should see me with a car that can compete with those times B)

Seems like you're now getting a little taste of well deserved success now Erchie !

I was @ Fintray today but only saw one Scooby ( Clark ?) - have you & John S. decided to give this one a miss ?

Cheers

Cal

Cal

Nice to hear from you mate hope you are well. I have had a nightmare this year so far and Kames was my first event. Having said that my intention was to concentrate on the sprints this year. I did enjoy fintry lst year and hope to do a full season of hills and sprints next year :whistle:

Edited by Arch
  • 1 month later...

Well not much to report since Kames I had some issues on the last run with my short shifter which came loose which resulted in a couple of bad gear changes. The fixed portion attached to the gear lever had started migrating up the shaft causing the rod to the gearbox to foul on the tunnel this made it hard to select 3rd. I didnt want to go back to the normal shift as I am convinced this saved time with the changes esp 2nd to 3rd. The solution was to use an M12x1.25 die and thread the whole length of the lever and then lock the mechanism with a nut result not the easiest material to cut a thread on but the result should never come loose.

CIMG1551.jpg

CIMG1550.jpg

Other than that it was a case of going over everything suspension wise to ensure everything was still tight as Kames was the first outing this year and effectively the cars shake down after being almost totally stripped down again. The adjustable lateral and trailing arms can loosen so I witness marked them so that I would know if one moved, the same with all the camber bolts. - again pics later.

The roll bar clamp for my camera has arrived so hopefully get this up and running now.

Decided to keep the camera on the dash think it will give me the most feedback as I wasnt happy with the angle it sat on the roll bar.

CIMG1552.jpg

Busy two weeks ahead with the Golspie sprint near Wick this weekend 12th and 13th Sept and Boyndie near Banff the week after. Both long journeys but well worth it as the tracks are superb and also very well run events. It will be the first chance this year to test the car against some of the very quick cars from up north. It will be interesting to see if the set up this year has closed the gap any. I have my doubts as some of the EVO's have certainly moved on such as Donald's evo and also Davie Coutts who is also very quick and i know he has moved his car on a fair bit from last year.

Edited by Arch

Decided to strip down the gearbox I bought from Galagogsie, it had a whine from the transfer case and it had been diagnosed by Steve Whitson as centre diff bearings - turns out to be spot on diagnosis ;)

Stripped it down and found the bearing on the drop gear that engages with the centre diff had a very very worn bearing as can be seen by the amount of movement in the pic, there should be virtually no movement in this at all so fault one.

CIMG1556.jpg

CIMG1559.jpg

It was actually wobbling around like a good un :D

That lead me to suspect there may well be a problem with the bearing on the centre diff itself. I then carefully removed the centre diff and found that the bearing was indeed well worn in fact I pulled it apart so think this box was removed just in time to stop any furthr damage. I stripped the centre diff for a look and it all seemed fine.

CIMG1554.jpg

CIMG1555.jpg

This will be an easy fix as I have two spare centre diffs and a variety of drop gears so simple swap over for new parts and job done spare box ready to go. :)

Just a quick update after the weekend sprint at Golspie. Turned out to be a cracking weekend with the weather holding out and staying dry and warm all weekend. This resulted in a really good 2 days racing. There was a disapointing turn out in A3 with Only Donald in his Evo, Ian MacKay in his Clio and myself. Never the less it was more about progress and a chance to see how the car ran as compared to last year.

The Saturday was the Littleferry circuit and this finished with Donald breaking the class record with a 100.43 run which was pretty impressive. i finished on a 104.23 so under 4 secs behind which is pretty good on the day. This is compared to 118.02 secs last September so a more than fair improvement there although from memory i think last years time may have been in the wet :(

P9120223.jpg

P9120234.jpg

P9130240.jpg

P9130241.jpg

And one of Donald's Evo in action.

P9120236.jpg

The Sunday was the Kylestrome circuit which is more challenging but to be honest more fun. Again Donald was quickest in class with his fastest run of 74.62 which narrowly missed breaking the record he set in June. I managed a 77.32 which again was only 2.7 secs off Donald's time so not to bad. But when compared to my time last year of 79.86 shows an improvement of over 5 secs so again a sizeable step forward.

P9130254.jpg

CIMG1570.jpg

CIMG1574.jpg

CIMG1581.jpg

CIMG1583.jpg

I managed to get some in car footage from Sat but the sound didnt work out but will try and hoste it later.

Well this weekend it's off up north again to Boyndie which again is a kart cct but a lt of fun. I havnt seen the finals yet so not sure exactly who is in A3 but confident it will be a large entry.

Edited by Arch
good progress there arch ;)

3 to 4 second drop in times is a lot in sprinting,donalds car is in a class above(no offence)

2.5 with a 20g is definately a good combination for what your doing and i'm sure you will

improve more as you get used to the new set up :(

Thanks Jim, totally agree about Donald's car it has been progressed over a number of years pretty much the same as John's so is a class above me at the minute. The 20G does work very well but the car needs more power to be competative so thats the next step :lol:

Having said that it still amazes me how well this car handles it just sticks no matter how hard you chuck it around :D