Wheel Bearings

Quick question - is a press required for removing and fitting wheel bearings to a newage?

Stephen i fitted front wheel bearing to my last car (not a subaru)and i had to use a press to get them out and for putting the new one's back in,it is possible to do it without one but will take a little more time and effort.

Stevie

01 WRX

I'll go with the 'get someone else to do it' gang. I have replaced a few on different cars using machined (ahem, is using a 9" grinder machining?!) sockets, bits of old pipe and big hammers! I had no problems, but those were smaller/lighter cars that put less load on each bearing. Not sure I'd feel confident doing it on my Scoobie.

Spend £20 now, or take the chance of wrecking the bearings yourself and paying out much more in the long-run.

Plus you are less likely to use the ABS sensor as a pivot point for a screwdriver. Therefore less likely to break said ABS sensor and have to have it replaced by a garage who can't quite figure out how it 'just fell apart' one day.

Now who would do a thing like that? :(

Steve.

That sounds good Colin, just for the slow mechanical eejit in me - you take them the hub and they do their business with it, then whack the hub back in?

So question two - easy enough to take a hub off?

Yes, Stephan. Take the loose hub in with the new bearing. If you phone ahead they may even do it for you while you wait.

Taking the hub off isn't the easiest job. There can be siezed nut/split pins etc. If in doubt get a garage to do it as once you start the car isn't going anywhere.

i will go with general consensus as well - to get it pressed, done rears on a legacy before. Its getting the old bearing out without scratching any surfaces that is tricky, putting new one in is easy enough.

ps. you will need 32mm socket iirc

Edited by euan_r

Never bloody ends with these things! Right, Halleys were phoned this afternoon about this very issue and hadn't phoned back yet. If they don't redeem themselves by lunch time tomorrow I'll fix it myself and take great pleasure in letting everyone know my experiences with them again. :(

Never bloody ends with these things! Right, Halleys were phoned this afternoon about this very issue and hadn't phoned back yet. If they don't redeem themselves by lunch time tomorrow I'll fix it myself and take great pleasure in letting everyone know my experiences with them again. :D

Any other motors i've done the bearings on drive wheels need pressed (big hammer, vice etc RAF) so presume all would need pressed on a scoob.

As far as removing the hub i've found there real easy cars to work on and u'll only come into problems if you can't get the balljoint or track rod out and could end up knackering it if you don't know how to tackle it.

Steve

Never bloody ends with these things! Right, Halleys were phoned this afternoon about this very issue and hadn't phoned back yet. If they don't redeem themselves by lunch time tomorrow I'll fix it myself and take great pleasure in letting everyone know my experiences with them again. :D

Well???? Any update?

Had a busy day, but I managed to phoned them and ask where my return phone call was. Few minutes after 5 they finall got back to me and have promised that they will phone again first thing in the morning with prices.

I told them on the phone that after paying £150ish for 2 hours labour to have a wheel bearing cleaned up only for it to fail again 4 months later was simply not on. They could let me know the price of the part and I'd pay for that, but there was no way in hell that I'd be paying any of the labour on it.

Oh she did say on the phone Bearing AND HUB! Ummmm, don't think so on that! They better be on the blower grovelling first thing tomorrow and I'll happily report up some good service, or this will stand up as a fine example of their customer service. :D

Out of interest Camskill didn't have it for the new age, but managed to get a price on it elsewhere.

£150ish for 2 hours labour to have a wheel bearing cleaned up

it was knackered then then. never heard of wheel bearings being cleaned up. they have dirt seals, only water ingress from driving through puddles at speed pushes grease out. new bearing from subaru is not far off that price for the labour.

Never bloody ends with these things! Right, Halleys were phoned this afternoon about this very issue and hadn't phoned back yet. If they don't redeem themselves by lunch time tomorrow I'll fix it myself and take great pleasure in letting everyone know my experiences with them again. :banana:

If its not warranty work,why did you not take it to hypertech,where you get your car serviced anyway!!bandwagon comes to mind. :thumbup: