Solution To Knocking Newage Rear Struts

Well so many of us suffer from the problem of the rear struts knocking on the newage sti's i thought this might be of interest.

I'm on my 2nd set & guess what???......Yep they've started knocking grrrr.

As i'm out of warrenty replacements are gonna have to be paid for out of my own pocket but i've found this on another forum that could save us all a few quid.

Shows the reason why the shocks go & how to solve prob without buying new shocks.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/04_sti_re...trut-t9972.html

I will do this to my old shocks tomorrow and photograph my progress along the way to see if it makes a difference.

If it does I will be getting a refund from Camskill for the KYB shocks I bought off them last week.

What grease are you going to use? Was thinking about using CV & Lith-Moly being slightly smoother.

Still wondering if is can be this simple.

What grease are you going to use? Was thinking about using CV & Lith-Moly being slightly smoother.

I went and bought some Castrol LM grease. LM grease is a wheel breaing with quite a high melting temperature, not that its ever going to get as hot as it would if it was applied to bearings. I cant see the grease being used in shocks to be any thicker or thinner than this. Obviously you want a grease thats thick enough to provide some resistance but not thin enough that it wont do much for the shock.

As I said, I'll try this tomorrow and take pics throughout the process and report back with my results (fingers crossed it works out).

Yeah thats what i thought to?

Hopefully the guys that are gonna give it a try will come back with positive results as it could save us all a small fortune!

Ps if it does turn out a successful solution feel free to pay me £1 per shock saved as a thank you lol ;) It can be my modding benifit fund :D:D

Well because Parcel Force cant keep there word and deliver things by 10am like there suppose to, I wont be doing the shocks until tomorrow morning.

I'll do a full write up with my pictures and thoughts and post the thread in the Scottish section.

Ok had a go at re-greasing the shocks tonight and no major problems.

Have a new set of shocks, tried to fit them the other night but the bottom mount is 3mm to narrow to fit the top suspension arm. After several attempts at prizing the to face apart I gave up and decided to swap the bottom casing of the shock.

So tonight stripped the shocks down, be careful to WD40 the bottom nut as one jammed and I ended up having to drill it out. Anyway once I got the shock cylinder out found the yellow thick grease and it is like thick butter, used a spatula as suggested (Silicone one from Sainsbury's was easy to cut down to fit inside). Getting all the grease out takes a bit of time and patience. To get the last of it out I used kitchen roll taped to the spatula must have used half a roll but nice and clean after.

Re-greased using the spatula to repack the grease chamber, re-greased the top seal then fitted the new cylinder in. Lined up the bottom seal and fitted and torqued the nut.

Only real problem I had was as I was doing the front the springs are short and the standard spring compressors didn't compress the springs enough luckily I has a set that are about 50 years old that worked (thanks Dad).

Will finish the others off at the weekend and update on how they feel after I fit them. Backs will be easier as they are longer springs.

Robert

• 1 month later...