Sliiiiiide!! [:O]

Hi folks,

Quick query for you.....

Driving the road from Lugton to Beith (for those that know it) this morning. The road was a wee bit damp and heading into a bend, not too tight....and I felt the back end slide out a tad. Further along the road I thought I'd test this and managed to do it again. Doing about 60mph which didn't seem too fast for the road. Been on that road a lot in my old Volvo V40 and it never happened although I would maybe only take the same bend at 50mph.

This being my first Scoob, I just wanted to ask.....

1) Did I turn the steering wheel too much? (the power steering is a lot better than my old car)

2) Something not quite right with the car?

3) or just a tad too fast?[:$]

Just after re-assurance I guess. I do find that 60 feels slower than 50 does in our other car and maybe I was getting carried away thinking that I'm driving a rally bred car and it could handle anything! Certainly didn't feel too fast. Probably just me.....[:D]

I've read about drop links being a cheap mod. Don't really know what they are or what they do! Someone else has stated that they're only worth it on cars 3 - 4.5yrs old? Mine's is a MY05 WRX.

Cheers.....if it was just me, then that's good news. I'll remind myself 'YOU ARE NOT RICHARD BURNS/COLIN MCCRAE' etc etc

Know the road well. Some bends can catch the unwary out. 60mph isn't a lot for a Subaru on that road, but being damp can change that.

My guess would be that we'd had a dry spell for a while there and now being damp, the roads are greasy. Doesn't help that it's a road used by heavy traffic such as tippers.

Try it again in the dry and you'll see the difference.

Re: droplink. Wouldn't bother on your car yet unless it's "had a life" and the std bushes are tired.

There are so many other variables to consider, that making assumptions regarding your slide, is only that, assumption. I can tell you however that my first time at Knockhill was pretty hairy given that the track was very wet and I did experience the back end coming around on me on more than one occassion! That, and I had droplinks, Tein springs fitted with Prodrive geometry settings, so the back end coming round on you (im my experince) is still a possiblity, but defo less than one with rear well drive cars. Also, the aforementioned measures will make a night and day difference to the handling and driving experience of your Subaru (I'd say they are a must!). On the open road, when I have been pushing it on fast bends in the wet (or dey), the tendency is to feel a slight sideways slide. On returning to KH in the dry I had only one hairy moment with the backend coming round again, and I have no idea what casued it! Probably my own crap driving. I now have an ALK fitted and will test that on the 26th at KH. As far as changing droplinks, I belive that this is benificial in all ages of cars as the std ones are crappy poly-material that has way more flex that the metal Whiteline ones.

I don't have experience with the new age cars, so won't comment on whether those tyre pressures are high or not.

All i can say is that on my classic with that sort of tyre pressure, driving would be "entertaining" in the damp or wet. I usually kept them down to around 28-30psi and bumped them up a few psi when weather was bone dry. (not very often then... [:D] )

Having said and thought about that... anything with 600bhp is "entertaining". lol [:o]

I had the same problem with my Scoob,one set of Toyo's and some Whiteline drop links and front/rear ajustable sway bars(or whatever their called)..........you have now cured said problem;-)

Drop links are cheap to upgrade and worth doing IMHO.

I was going to give Greers a call about getting braided brake hoses put on (no chance of me doing them myself!) and I'll see what they say about the front/rear droplinks while the car's there! What about a front strut brace??

I'd like the easiest/cheapest initial mods that will help......just for starters!!! [;)]

I was going to give Greers a call about getting braided brake hoses put on (no chance of me doing them myself!) and I'll see what they say about the front/rear droplinks while the car's there! What about a front strut brace??

I'd like the easiest/cheapest initial mods that will help......just for starters!!! [;)]

Droplinks and Geometry done

I'd like the easiest/cheapest initial mods that will help......just for starters!!! [:D]

Droplinks and Geometry done

Sounds like a plan! [;)]