The Merc's gone wrong already!

Wonderful german reliability being what it is...

The dealer put 1/2 a tank of fuel in it when I picked it up, which I promptly demolished and then chucked another £20s worth in the tank, in the motorway services on Saturday. By the time it came to going to work this morning, that was nearly all gone as well.

Stopped at the local Shell garage at lunchtime, and brimmed the tank. Paid, got back in, reset the trip to try and work out the consumption over the next tank, guess what, the gauge packed up and now reads zero.

I've done some reading up and apparently it is far from rare for Mercs to have dodgy fuel senders, which cost a small fortune to replace. Bugger. So that's 2 days and already it needs money spending on it. I think a call to the dealer is in order if it doesn't unstick itself in the next couple of days....

Cheers,

Plug

I have a mate who does body and paint work for himself and now he cant take on any work from anyone else as he is over loaded with mercs rotting away.

I was there on Saturday and he had a 51 plate in which has had 2 rear quarters 2 front wings and 2 doors and new sills, and thats a 51 plate.

Sorry to tell you this but they rott quicker than White Fords.

I spoke to the dealer today, and said I was disappointed to get a fault after just 2 days. I said I'd stick a couple of full tanks through to see if it un-clogs itself, but if it didn't, would he consider looking at it on a good-will basis.  I know it's my car now, but he wouldn't have tried to sell me a car knowing it had a broken fuel gauge, would he?

He said no problem, if it's still faulty they will take it back and sort it out. Good service [:D]. I paid top dollar for the car, but sometimes it's better to pay the dealer's mark-up and get a little peace of mind..

Cheers,

Plug

• 1 month later...

I have to say it's quite nice[:D]

The fuel gauge problem was sorted without question from the dealer, they took it back and replaced both senders free of charge. No problems since.

It's not the most economical car on the planet, local journeys equal about 19 mpg. But I was only getting about 21 from the Scoob in similar circumstances, so it's not really a surprise. Same story on motorways, 25-26 in the Merc as opposed to 27-28 in the Scoob. I can live with it.

It's a very different car from the Scoob, feels heavier (indeed it is, by some 300Kg) but still well tied down. A huge amount of grip even though it's RWD rather than 4WD and still sporting despite the fact that's it an auto. The boys at AMG obviously over-rode the normal nanny settings that Mercedes put on their traction control.. it will happily leave two black stripes on the tarmac if you stamp on the throttle [:(]

My old Scoob was a wagon so Tannan hasn't bought that one.. it ended up on forecourt in Ripley, last thing I saw. It was A1 when I part-exed it, so someone has bought a nice car with plenty of miles left in it...

Cheers,

Plug