Slightly O/T : Performance mods, are they worth the money ?

After my results at Dastek last weekend, i was making a comparison, to my last wagon, and the amount of cash i threw at it, for not a lot more power.

Just trying to decide wether its worth starting to spend money again.

Current wagon is an MY00 90k on the clock. Made 249.1bhp @ 6500rpm, and 229.4ft.lb @4000rpm. 0.9bar 95 Ron fuel.

Engine mods are : Sti8 tmic, and full decat. Total cost (parts only) = 700 quid.

Now, my last wagon. MY98 80k on the clock. Made 277.5bhp @ 6500rpm, and 255.5ft.lb @5000rpm. 1.4bar 98 Ron fuel.

Engine mods list was, HKS fmic. HKS equal headers. H&S up-pipe. H&S Full decat. Blitz sus induction, HKS ssqv d/v. IHI VF30 turbo. 440cc injectors. Walbro 255. Gems ECU.

Total cost (parts only) = 4500 quid !!!

Now, when you look at the huge difference in cost, against the results, i`m really wondering if i`m wasting my time, and money, if i want to take this further.

Obviously no two cars perform the same, but even then, i`m not sure if i`m willing to do all this again.

What do you guys think ?

Crikey! that a lot of mods for 277bhp!

My old wagon made over 300 bhp and 240 lb/ft with- Complete de-cat, back box, walbro fuel pump, fse regulator,fcd, and manual boost controller running 17 psi.  Not many mods but it worked, and to upset the nerds...I ran it on normal unleaded for 2 years aswell! only used super for crail/knockhill etc.

Col.

thats a striking comparison there Johnny. It shows you the price/power ratio very clearly.

I had a newage wrx and fitted a backbox- £200

239bhp it got at dastek.

The car once followed an STIppp into the twisties on the way back from KH and was only lost on the bends where new scooby ownership and not having the same handling base and handling mods as the sti cost me the distance.

Would a decat, good handling set up and a ecutek/powerfc map be a better option that throwing money at these cars?

I enjoy personally buying (when i can) mods for the car but are they all worth the money? possibly not.

Second hand DP, Second hand BB, new magnex centre section, itg panel filter and a dawes!!!!!!!!!

Under £400 and 275/260 on my old wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good points.

alot of people think that "most expensive is best". Alot of crap!! As some people who have been bitten in the a$$ will confess

and

"can't have that it is second hand and been used for afew k miles"  again alot of crap.

You can easily source parts cheap enough to not lay out alot of dosh and get the figures you would like, just maybe mean hunting about abit more.

Second hand DP, Second hand BB, new magnex centre section, itg panel filter and a dawes!!!!!!!!!

Under £400 and 275/260 on my old wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good points.

alot of people think that "most expensive is best". Alot of crap!! As some people who have been bitten in the a$$ will confess

and

"can't have that it is second hand and been used for afew k miles"  again alot of crap.

You can easily source parts cheap enough to not lay out alot of dosh and get the figures you would like, just maybe mean hunting about abit more.

thats a very very good point. an example is all the 2nd hand parts on my car are going strong and have never caused dramas....where as the new parts.......pop, snap, warp, break.

excellent point

Managed to get 291bhp and 298lbft from my wrx.

Total cost for all parts needed to get this was approx £1200 using new and second hand parts.

Headers, uppipe, downpipe, mid, centre and backbox. Warlbro fuel pump, uprated sparkplugs,

panel filter, samco intercooler hose and a remap. Theres also a lot for labour which usually gets forgot about.

Everything else like brakes, suspension, gauges, etc was just additional cost but wasnt completely necessary.

I wouldn`t like to think how much i spent in total if i include other parts..

Defis, whiteline kit all round, new springs, wheels.WRC Alcons etc... 

Becomes a shocking amount.

Only item i`ve purchased new for this car has been the d/pipe. The rest have all been used.

On my STi 9 type UK :-

Meercat Snakehead turbo back system £530 (should have been 550) fitted

Bosch fuel pump £170 fitted

APS Induction Kit £110 fitted 2nd hand (Cheers Peter)

Turbo wastegate, exhaust housing, headers ported £240 fitted (as the VF35 suffers from boost creep and cannot be mapped properly without wastegate being ported)

Andy Forrest Tech 3 remap £587

Total £1637 all fitted and incl VAT

Car has gone from 260 BHP as standard to approx 330 BHP with better fuel consumption on normal driving too!!!!!!!!!!!

So I spent less money than quoted for PPP and got more Bangs for my buck

Graeme

If I decided to mod the P1 further it would have to be a remap,high flow d.p., walbro fuel pump and uprated oil pump. With the filter and straight through centre section exhaust I could expect to see approx 330bhp and 300lb/ft. All for £1200.
If I decided to mod the P1 further it would have to be a remap,high flow d.p., walbro fuel pump and uprated oil pump. With the filter and straight through centre section exhaust I could expect to see approx 330bhp and 300lb/ft. All for £1200.

After my results at Dastek last weekend, i was making a comparison, to my last wagon, and the amount of cash i threw at it, for not a lot more power.

Just trying to decide wether its worth starting to spend money again.

Current wagon is an MY00 90k on the clock. Made 249.1bhp @ 6500rpm, and 229.4ft.lb @4000rpm. 0.9bar 95 Ron fuel.

Engine mods are : Sti8 tmic, and full decat. Total cost (parts only) = 700 quid.

Now, my last wagon. MY98 80k on the clock. Made 277.5bhp @ 6500rpm, and 255.5ft.lb @5000rpm. 1.4bar 98 Ron fuel.

Engine mods list was, HKS fmic. HKS equal headers. H&S up-pipe. H&S Full decat. Blitz sus induction, HKS ssqv d/v. IHI VF30 turbo. 440cc injectors. Walbro 255. Gems ECU.

Total cost (parts only) = 4500 quid !!!

Now, when you look at the huge difference in cost, against the results, i`m really wondering if i`m wasting my time, and money, if i want to take this further.

Obviously no two cars perform the same, but even then, i`m not sure if i`m willing to do all this again.

What do you guys think ?

Remember who mapped your car???[:D]

That could be why it didn't make the figure you are after.

Gems(2nd hand)£750

Meercat exhaust£480

Bosche fuel pump£170

RCM CAI£200

P Marks remap£250

Forge BOV£150

All fitted prices above.

total £2000 for 326.6bhp and 315.5lb/ft and a torque curve to die for...just ask squirrell.

Not ported my IHI VF 35 yet as the GEMS ecu can sort out the boost creep but no doubt would gain more bhp if i do so.

I'm looking at new turbo and fmic for my next stage.

BTW>Dearest is not always the best bhp.

I managed 305 lb/ft on my MY00 UK Impreza with....

Tek 2 ECU £500

Full decat exhaust £300

gas flowed header £220

Another remap to 1.5 bar £350

Large TMIC £200

Ive spent £350 on a TD05 turbo (still to fit)

Then another remap will be around £200

I think its been worth it so far...its totally changed the car so far.

Johnny, i know what you mean mate, but going back over the mod list on the '98, there was defo something wrong there and i'd have loved to find out what it was!

At the moment, i'd say spend a bit more for a TD05 16G and ECU, OR send me a PM and i'll let you know how i got the figures i got from the RA. 320hp on Dastek's rollers, but it didn't hit full boost.

The only thing else i'd say, is you want boost. You don't need anything else, as that's where the torque lies. [;)]

Hi Johnny,

Hope your doing well mate.

I think you had a bad map with the old wagon - although what bhp does the vf30 make? Was that the limiting factor?

With the new wagon, I believe the numbers you have a really good. I had a similar setup to you i.e. ~240 and 13.8s at Crail, then got a ECU remap and noticed the difference, i.e. ~270 and 13.3s. Cost ~550.

Depending on your target, if you are happy with ~300 then go for a AFP4H and remap. Cost around ~1000 parts.

If you are after much bigger numbers then AFP5-16 or 18G and remap. Cost ~1000-1500 parts.

Personally, I'm going for the 18G route.

Cheers - hope to see you at KH sometime,

Kenny

Also does spending all that money to get a bit more power really make your car that much quicker?

On any scoob run i've been on it seems to be pretty even (to a degree) no matter how much power you have. After all (on the road) the more power you have the more careful you have to be putting it down.

As for me, second hand twin dump downpipe for £100 = 292 bhp/246 lbs ft.