Which tracker????

Hi Guys

I want to buy a tracker for my car, but the only one I can find is the RAC one. It is a Thatcham Q at £399 plus £120 subscription per year. Does this sound ok? They will fit it in a local garage for me.

The others I have found online seem a bit complicated and technical. At least I have heard of RAC!!!!!

Any advice appreciated.

Vicki face-icon-small-smile.gif

I'm surprised your car isn't fitted with a tracker .

When I bought my first scooby my insurance company would not entertain me without a tracker . I checked with S+S (who I was buying it from) and it turned out that there was already one fitted and I only had to registar it in my name and pay subscription .

My current scoob also had one fitted when I bought it , and again it was just a matter of getting it changed to my name .

I was under the impression that these were fitted by Subaru to UK cars , so it might be worth checking first.

Both mine were Tracker my '99 had the 'Retrieve' , my '00 has the 'Monitor'

Hope that helps a bit face-icon-small-wink.gif

Thanks Ally

Just phoned S&S and they said I don't have a tracker fitted face-icon-small-sad.gif

It is a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm tho (just found the booklet)

When I think back now, I did have hassle getting insured quotes from some places. A lot were asking about a tracker.

Just need to spend all my pennies on one so my car doesn't get lost face-icon-small-wink.gif

Hi Vicky

we had a RAC tracker fitted to our old scoob (03 WRX) we had a nightmare of a time with them, we thought we where doing good going with a reputable company. They took the money fine and fitted the tracker at our house within 2 days of it getting delivered but it took them 2 long months of phone calls to send us the correct tracker certificate (the insurance comp wouldn't cover us for theft until they had this certificate and they kept sending us someone else's certificates!). They also then decided to set up the Direct Debit incorrectly too. Going by our experience I wouldn't recommend them or use them again (for a tracker anyway - i am with them for roadside cover face-icon-small-blush.gifface-icon-small-shocked.gif ) but everyone has a different experience is suppose! good luck! face-icon-small-wink.gif

Having seen an example of how a RAC trackstar was fitted to a new M5 recently I wouldnt let them near my cars............... and that includes the primera. I know thats no help but thought I would mention it. Tracker have a few options that are reasonable but unsure of the total costs etc.

Spooks

Thanks for all the advice, glad I asked. Going to do a bit more research on trackers before I decide. RAC don't sound too good.

Will phone S&S too for a quote in the new year. Didn't think of that!

Spooks, I don't even let anyone wash my car for me, so its got to be someone who will be careful face-icon-small-happy.gif

that sounds a good deal vickie i had to pay £139 to register and a years subscription for my tracker that was already fitted to my car. insurance company wouldnt insure my car for theft until they had the proper registration document for the tracker.

IMO the RAC system is a better system. It has GPS which neither the retrieve nor the monitor have. To get this in a tracker product you would have to go for the more expensive Horizon. The GPS means that if your car is stolen, they can track it to its location instantly. The Retrieve and the Monitor both rely on a radio system. This means that there has to be a police locator vehicle within a reasonable distance of your vehicle so that it can pick up the signal and track it. The other main difference is that the RAC trackstar can be removed and refitted as many times as you like. This makes it a much more financially viable solution if you change your car quite regularly. Cost wise the RAC trackstar can be had for a similar price to the Tracker monitor and the subscription rates are the same except that you have a choice of terms. Monthly, Quarterly, Annually.

Hope this helps.

Gav.

When I got my insurance from A-Plan I asked about a tracker as I was happily prepared to have one fitted if it reduced my costs, but as I was insured through Norwich Onion, A-Plan said it wouldn't make any difference to my payments unless the car was worth more than 30K. Seemed stupid to me.