OT: Change of career

Right, it`s looking like tomorrow is my last day at work. face-icon-small-sad.gif

Getting laid off...

Currently in I.T, have 10 years experience, but no formal qualifications.

I`m struggling to decide wether to try and get back into I.T, or do a complete change. Now going by how many qualifications people have these days, i`m not sure i would stand a chance getting back into I.T.

Any advice Guys and Gals ?

Got a few options that i`m considering.

Have always fancied getting my Heavy Goods Licence, so may consider that.

Cab licence...something i would consider, but intial layout for a cab would be a problem.

Fire Brigade, although they`re not recruiting at the moment.

Police Force, always something i`ve secretly fancied, but not sure i have the brains for the exams.

Some not bad options there. face-icon-small-happy.gif

Ive got my HGV licence, dont youse it that often though face-icon-small-sad.gif

only thing that would stop me persuing a career down that route is the way the governments trying to drive road haulage out with its fuel taxes, drivers hours restrictions etc..

The hours one is the one that annoys me the most. You can drive a car or van all day long if you want, get as tired as you want doing it, yet do they introduce any restrictions for them?? NO!!!!!

On the plus side, theres that fantastic sense of being high up and able to nosey at anything you want (summertime, cabrios, iam sure you get my drift face-icon-small-wink.gif ), plus theres plenty jobs out there face-icon-small-happy.gif

Your right there, but theres ways round that small problem. I know alot of hauliers, some that are looking and i can try and "pull some strings" The fact its not 9-5 is the beauty of it id say. Though i wouldnt fancy doing any continental work, id be locked up for trying to stop illegal imigrants trying to get into the country face-icon-small-happy.gif

Edited to add. I touch goats m8

Johnny, the agencies are crying out for drivers.

I got my HGV and HIAB certs this year and could pick up the phone tomorrow and get a shift.

Hours are getting more limited but drivers are still being pressurised by companys to work over their tacho limits.

There will be plenty of agnceis out your way.

<< Thanks Doug.

Forgot you had sat yours earlier this year.

How are you finding it ?

Andy...you and Grant argue it between you...i`ll just pocket the highest bidder. face-icon-small-happy.gif

Although....dont think it`s suited for Knockhill....the leather is a bit slidy ! face-icon-small-sad.gif >>

LOL its ok i think iam heavy enough to hold myself down face-icon-small-wink.gif

Class 2 and have worked with a vehicle movements company which let me drive a HUGE variety of vehicles from the most powerful MAN tractor units to double deckers to Reliance prison vans (all new and on trade plates)

The HIAB involves a couple of weekends traning with a variety of truck mounted hydraulic cranes (brilliant fun). You also need the CITB Health and Safety certficate.

Worked more recently with Geodis (through agency) driving a Scania curtain side delivering palleted goods thoughout Scotland.

Back to good old vehicle rental for a while just now though. face-icon-small-wink.gif

<< Now going by how many qualifications people have these days, i`m not sure i would stand a chance getting back into I.T.

>>

I'm sure you'd have no problems mate! I've got a degree in Applied Computing and am doing Cisco Networking.........

0 years experience so employers just tell me to feck off!! face-icon-small-sad.gif How can I get the experience if nobody employs me?? Raaaar!

Shep