Alloy Wheel repairs/touch ups

Try wicked wheels. search on the web and you will find your local agent. Have had very good results from them very helpful adn will pick them up from you. A graze they can fit in the truck, a ding will need to be tidied up at their depot. Cost is £60 per wheel, You can leave your tyres on. Ive just booked three in now the winters over.

I'll second that.  I used Wicked wheels for a BMW alloy that was particularly complex.  The chap disappeared into his van for nearly two hours.  When he came out again the wheel in question was absolutely perfect.  I live in Northampton and I didn't realise they were nationwide.  If they're all as good as our local chap then you can't go wrong.  To top it all, mine was £47!

Andrew

you lads must be loaded, if your alloys arn't polished or a bit trick why dont you d.i.y. i work as a smart repair tech mainly dents, but also do other smart repairs, d.i.y and save loads, and the next time you kerb them you wont have to shell out. hints and tips email me. cheers ian

ALLOY WHEEL REPAIR. theres no hard or fast rule but heres my tips.

the repairs can be done either on or of the car, you can jack the car up and have free play of the wheel, if there scuffed all the way around, i normally take them off.

MASKING UP

this can be done with the tyres on or off or just deflated enough to allow your masking tape to be between the inner rim and the tyre, mask the whole wall of the tyre the better the mask the better the result.

PREP

you will need to grind or rub down the rough edges, some scraps can be grinded out but don't go mad, fill scraps with and good car body filler or a liquid plastic (ac gel with an activater). rub down filler so its smooth with the wheel and no seems, once you are happy with the filler lightly rub down the rest of the wheel, basically take the shine off the alloy to help the paint stick ( bind ) only rub the full wheel down if you intend to spray the full wheel.

coat the filled areas with a primer, once dry lightly rub down to make sure completely smooth.

PAINT

choose a good paint match, most good car shops such have alloy paint in stock, and a good lacquer, paint alloy using paint techniques on can, dry then lacquer to give a good shine.

then stand back and admire your beast with new looking rims.

next week touch ups and polishing.

cheers Ian

• 3 months later...

cheers for the advice,thought there was more to it than just car filler and time.simple when you know how.kerbed my alloy about 2 weeks ago so think i'll be doing the same as Hannibal.anyone know what colour code,gold standard alloys are please???