Cleaning Alloys after 20,000+ miles

Hello all,

Can you pass on your tips about cleaning alloys.

I picked up a second set of Blobeye Anthracite Alloys (done 13,000 miles approx) to match the set on my car as spares and backup etc (plus tyres). Thanks to Clan2UK for the sale (see you at a meet soon BTW face-icon-small-wink.gif ).

Anyway, I need to clean off all the crap from the insides and get them back to as clean as possible without damaging them or ruining the finish. I also need to clean my own when I take them off (23,000+ miles). Both sets are MANKY inside as you can imagine.

How should I clean the brake dust and grime off them?

Should I put wheel wax of some sort all over them and polish them to gleaming to protect them in storage and on the road? (Now I have a second set this will make this easier).

Has anyone found a good car colour to match the paint closely - I was thinking maybe an Audi Anthracite touch up from Halfrauds may be close - anyone got closer (as Subaru do not do a touch up for them face-icon-small-sad.gif )

Any tips are more than welcome - I have ideas and have cleaned filthy wheels before but what have you guys done and do to protect them.

Tips are particularly welcome from Ricey, HI SOOB (of course) and anyone else known for having big rims or rims they looks after well.

Thanks in advance face-icon-small-wink.gif

Brian face-icon-small-happy.gif

Wonder Wheels or some aluminium cleaner to get rid of the heavy stuff but I would not recommend constant use of this as the acid can easily eat away at the finish.

I have also used t-cut on the insides to finish off the nasty spots.

P2S is good for continal use but once you get them in good condition hot soapy water should do the trick if you keep on top of them!

I have even coated mine with some Swissol wax in the summer.

Thanks Dougs. I was thinking of something to strip the dirt off first and Wonder Wheels was a thought but I don't use this stuff regularly anyway - only ever use soap and water. Just thought I may have a go, for once, at actually properly cleaning the wheels I use face-icon-small-wink.gif

What is PS2 or MC2 - a brand name and where from??? Never find Wonder Wheels to be that good really.

They are similar ideas to I had - just mainly the best ways to remove the caked on brake dust where the ideas needed.

Short of a scrubbing brush and Domestos face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Brian face-icon-small-wink.gif

Whoops - P2S Dougster called it - typo face-icon-small-shocked.gif

I think I need the strong stuff so Mark's stuff it may be.

Want to clean the wheels soon, so it may need to be Wonder Wheels. However, anyone know if Mark's (Underwood- The Wax Wizard) website is up and running yet for ordering?

Brian face-icon-small-wink.gif

This gonna sound ridiculous but works a TREAT ! I was once cleaning my dashboard with these

20963.jpg

I then though that they were too shiny for the dash so was gonna sh1t can them. For some reason

I started cleaning my old alloys with them., JESUS - they shifted brake dust like nobody business with a bit

of elbow grease. Most effective way of cleaning i have found to date. Wonder wheels is great but I dont use

it anymore due to it's metal munching ingredients face-icon-small-shocked.gif

So I'd say, use soap and water and get the stubborn crap of with dashboard wipes face-icon-small-wink.gif

Cheers

Cal

Bo'

Coming 2 you from the heart of Essex tonight by the wayface-icon-small-smile.gif

You should look at plain and simple Fairy liquid!

Use it with an old pan scrubber, the green thingys.

If they are beyond the fairy power, then use some petrol and a rag...dont smoke while doing thisface-icon-small-blush.gif

Once they are clean and you have rinsed them with soapy water, give em' a good coating of polish.

They will then wipe clean every time you wash the car.

Trust me....I have 76 inches of wheels to keep cleanface-icon-small-smile.gif

Thanks for all the tips lads.

I will try some of the more unusual ones - I will avid Wonder Wheels on a first attempt and try with the old soap and water job first.

The Dash Wipes Cal - remember them - terrible for the dash (looked American after I had finished) but I used them on my tyres, bumpers etc - great for that - I think I'll get some again.

nip up to jvs at loanhead, the boys (andy and pete)there will (if you ask nice) spray your wheels with the cleaner they use, its great! i am using ds 2500s and the wheels get coverd in baked on crap, a quick spray at jvs and hey presto! sparkling!!

and i have had no probs with fading or anything, and mine get done at least 4 times a week when i am home, and washed 5 to 7 times a week, as white is a pain to keep sparkling clean..........