electric wing mirror wont fold

I took my JDM mirrors apart to convert to Heated.

To replace the motor it is the complete item, top left below and as shown on the parts diagram above.

JDMmirror component parts.JPG

JDM Forester mirrors3.JPGJDM Forester mirrors4.JPG

Also the method of attaching the mirror glass varies.

Mine above if you tilt the glass fully so looking upwards, there are two slots on the white backing plate above that you can use a screwdriver in to release the bottom of the glass and then tilt it all the way down and unhook the two pegs at the top.

Noy sure on the earlier models, you used to have to heat the plastic rim of the glass to release it, usually breaking it in the process.

2 hours ago, Lockheed said:

Thanks again Don , the plug I have is black not white can this be de-dinned ?

Should be able to, but may need a special tool.

if it cant depin. just cut each wire slighly different lengths. solder back together with small shrink tube each cable :boom:

I bought a jdm folding mirror from ebay .. due to turn up tomorrow , the plug and wiring looks identical but we will see .

The colour coded cover certainly is not the same but happily I don't need that bit .

I thank you again ,  some of this stuff just isn't possible with out good help.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2020 at 07:05, Supacool1 said:

Sorry to hijack the thread....but is there any part of the mirror assembly that needs lube or grease? I just realised that I've never done anything with them and the drivers is a little slower to fold than the passengers.....

Sealed unit if I remember correctly the jdm ebay motor worked and had all the relevant wires for the heated mirror. 

Drivers side on mine is slower to close too

• 1 year later...