Advice please ? Rusted front control arms

Hi, just looking at my options since a front control arm on the little impreza ( 2005 GX 4 door ) noticed yesterday has started to rust right through, 7 years since the recall/ inspection.

I doubt subaru would contribute anythng to the repair, and nearest dealership is now quite a few  miles away, so looking at my local independent garage to fit new arms.

Option 1. Source from dealer, tracked them down via web to part no,s 20202FE831 ( replaced 20202FE540 /830) and 20202FE551 (replaced 20202FE550) IF / WHEN available.  Price tbd but expect 250-300 per arm.

option 2.  Tried to source from a few EU based parts websites, there are a load of different impreza steel arms available, prices from £60-120 but none with the link to the original Subaru part no,s I need. Most of those available have different brackets, for the earlier and wrx wagon bushed plastic droplnks, not the balljoint type droplinks on my car.

option 3.  Does anyone know f the WRX saloon alloy arms such as these from ICP, will fit a GX saloon?    Not just for geometry, but the fitting points as well?   Would seem to be the best solution if guaranteed to fit. https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=2240&cat=96&sub=183&sec=277&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Apparently, the u cradle has to come off or at least  be lowered to get in to change the lower arms, is that right? 

Any other ideas welcomed.

Car is far to good to scrap.

cheers

image.jpg

Thanks very much for that Don, much appreciated.  

Didnt realise Rock Auto shipped to the UK

Will speak to my local garage tomorrow to check theyd be happy fitting these if I sourced them, then will look to get them ordered (and they did the arms on  a wagon WRX a few months back so they should know how to do mine!) .   Some garages are getting reluctant to fit parts they havent sourced themselves.

11 minutes ago, Lockheed said:

Shudder … import taxes 

And its urgent, I cant wait until theres ( maybe?) a free trade deal with the US, So its either Subaru UK/ dealer mark up, or import taxes and VAT on the lot.  Don's indicated total inclusive price looks the better, and unusually, theyre probably better quality than the originals.

2 minutes ago, ccrien said:

And its urgent, I cant wait until theres ( maybe?) a free trade deal with the US, So its either Subaru UK/ dealer mark up, or import taxes and VAT on the lot.  Don's indicated total inclusive price looks the better, and unusually, theyre probably better quality than the originals.

I knew someone would bite . I don't see why the ali ones wont fit ?

What Trump will do is give us a really good deal and then shaft us later on down the line when we are vulnerable ……… the 51st state is coming.

48 minutes ago, ccrien said:

Thanks very much Lockheed,.  The GX is a GD9  so theres possibillity GD9 wrx arms will fit. I will check the handbook tomorrow to see if theres detailed info on front track etc between the two.  

I think this says it all

gx.JPG

1 hour ago, Lockheed said:

Shudder … import taxes 

just so you know :thumbs:

On £258.08 parts plus Fedex freight of £54.31

£64.04 VAT and £7.01 Import duty

..................and they only have 2 RH ones left in stock

Purchasing Subaru items from Europe they are about €278,98 (inc VAT) EACH

This one suggests the steel GX arm isnt suitable for the WRX -  -.  "Without wrx," in the description

But doesnt necessarily  mean the alloy WRX arm isnt suitable for the GX?

p.s.  The pic shows the bracket for the plastic bushed bolted droplink, not the balljoint type, so doubtful.

looking like  either ICP alloy arms or more probably the correct part no. Reference from Don's RockAuto steel arms from US, decision and place order tomorrow before the US wake up.

New Steel arms would outlive the rest of the car.

image.png

Edited by ccrien

him mate, was this inspected by subaru and arms passed? or are these replacement arms that have rusted? 

Personally after having an arm on my wrx wagon 03 snap on me at thank god low speed id be speaking to Subaru UK. There is still an active recall on these arms so Subaru if passed ok where wrong....any mot inspection will fail them as dangerous to drive. 

Id be speaking to Subaru mate asap and i wouldnt drive it...sharp jolt in a pot hole and it will snap. 

Passed the recall inspection back in 2012, a long time ago!      They were also looking fine just a few months ago when i had a good look underneath, but have rotted from the inside since. Only spotted when I had the wheel off the other day, and part of the arm looked dodgy, soon opened up when tapped with a toffee hammer and poked with a screwdriver!   

Replacement arms on order from Rock Auto as suggested by Don, u cradle bolt set ordered from ICP, and trying to get through to the nearest dealer for last few bolt/ nuts.   Trusted local garage will fit once Ive got all the bits.  

take your point about talking to Subaru, but honestly cant be chewed arguing with them or dealers, rather make my own arrangements.   Guess I should inform them though.

(p.s.  Luke from ICP reckons the alloy wrx arms would fit but may need washers on the front bush delending on subframe.)

Edited by ccrien
1 hour ago, boosted38 said:

Guess i was lucky they replaced mine.

I count myself lucky I caught it befote it broke!     Shouldnt be like this though, your point is a good one, they should have done a proper replacement job at the original recall.

2 hours ago, ccrien said:

Passed the recall inspection back in 2012, a long time ago!      They were also looking fine just a few months ago when i had a good look underneath, but have rotted from the inside since. Only spotted when I had the wheel off the other day, and part of the arm looked dodgy, soon opened up when tapped with a toffee hammer and poked with a screwdriver!   

Replacement arms on order from Rock Auto as suggested by Don, u cradle bolt set ordered from ICP, and trying to get through to the nearest dealer for last few bolt/ nuts.   Trusted local garage will fit once Ive got all the bits.  

take your point about talking to Subaru, but honestly cant be chewed arguing with them or dealers, rather make my own arrangements.   Guess I should inform them though.

(p.s.  Luke from ICP reckons the alloy wrx arms would fit but may need washers on the front bush delending on subframe.)

I spoke to 2 mechanics today and they said the alloy arms do work. One said they have done it in the past with no issues but since you have the rock items ordered ill just leave this here for posterity.

Why Did I get charged £20 odd import tax for my gauge pod from Ortiz?

1 hour ago, Lockheed said:

Why Did I get charged £20 odd import tax for my gauge pod from Ortiz?

What was the cost and how much the shipping??

I see they are about $150 so £123   On that alone you would pay Import VAT  @20%  so £24 for starters

• 1 month later...

Hey Tony

I don't know if this'll help but I fitted newage alloy arms from a my02 WRX on my99 S turbo a few years back and they were sweet, as the same thing happened to the steel arms on that. I had to get the bottom ball joints and the cones they sit in as well though. 

Good luck if you've not already done something about it. 

Oh and swapped out the droplinks for the newage ones too. 

Edited by LeftaSALTYtaste
23 hours ago, LeftaSALTYtaste said:

Good luck if you've not already done something about it. 

Cheers,  good to know alloy arms from a breakers will fit the forester if it needs them.  

Would have been a cheaper option for the Impreza though.

Impreza sorted a few weeks back: Got the new steel arms from Rock Auto in the US. Ordered on a  Monday morning and arrived less than 48 hours later on the Weds morning by Fedex from Denver, via Indianapolis and  Stanstead!

fully waxed inside and out before fitting. The new arms have a big round drain hole on the bottom of the "side arm" compared  to the originals.

And trusted local garage fitted them (without needing to remove the U cradle ), Ithought it very reasonable two and a half hours labour including 4 wheel laser alignment for 186pound.  New arm bolts etc from Subaru dealer was another 40 odd quid but I still got the SIDC discount.?

image.jpeg

Edited by ccrien
Photo added