I've done a search but can't find anything, so, what oil would people recommend?!

Doing an oil and filter on my 2008 STI in the next week or so, as well as diff and gearbox oil just to be sure. I'm going to go for Millers gear oil but not sure on the engine as I've seen so many different recommendations!

RCM say they use 15w50 but that seems a little extreme?!

Help me out please!

I don't want put anyone off using Millers or indeed start an argument but I did hear a few people complaining of additive drop out ,this was at least 2 yrs ago and I think they have changed their Nano line since. 

I now use Motul 300v only because my engine builder told me to.

• Upvote 1
On 10/6/2019 at 17:46, jakeireland said:

I've done a search but can't find anything, so, what oil would people recommend?!

Doing an oil and filter on my 2008 STI in the next week or so, as well as diff and gearbox oil just to be sure. I'm going to go for Millers gear oil but not sure on the engine as I've seen so many different recommendations!

RCM say they use 15w50 but that seems a little extreme?!

Help me out please!

i always use Fuch pro race fully synthetic 15w50 on tweaked Sti 2.5ltr and high tuned 2.0trs. As advised by some tuners. But PPP 2.0ltr WRX 2.5ltr ok on 15w40. I dare say 15w40 would be ok in above. I have used Motul.

6 years thrashing my Hawk T20 around tracks it never complained. i changed it either just before or just after a trackday, depending on milliage. So my average oil change was 1,200 miles.

Now my T25 430bhp has an oil cooler and less temperature variation, my oil changes are more like 1,700-2,000 miles.

My 2011 2.5 370bhp has forged pistons so be OK 15W40 but its run on Fuch 15W50 as easier to keep one oil

Cost of oil, filter labour under£70,  so peanuts compared to a rebuild. So most people get given some advice and if works out, they stick to that plan, even if technically incorrect.

Tony

Oilman will give more wisdom than us plebs