Thanks for the reply, trying to do as much research as possible before going for one, been looking out for standard ones, not a great deal of them out there but will keep looking, will also look out for the struts, seen a good example last week but it had quite a bit of blue smoke which put me off 

• Upvote 2

Welcome Kyle,.  Good history and well looked after is more important than mileage I would say.   Opinions suggest the 2 litre motor ( blob) is more reliable than the 2.5 in the hawk, but that's a big generalisation.    Hawks are a touch newer so it's down to individual cars.   Drive both before you decide what power characteristics suits you.  Money spent well on good maintenance ( like tensioners along with /  at Cambelt time) carries more weight for me than money spent on mods, unless you want those particular mods.   Get the undertray off and check the crossbeam under the rad for rust,. Often the first place to start. Good luck with your search.  take your time.   Cheers 

• Upvote 2

Hi Kyle and welcome. 

All the above advice is good. ? I would only add that if you are looking for a WRX I would be looking for an unmodified one. There are many WRX's out there that have had bits bolted on to give them STI levels of power on the WRX internals. Looks good for 10 minutes but often costs more later on. If you are wanting a little bit more power then look for an STI instead. 

One of our most enjoyable allrounders was a 2006MY WRX 2.5 with Prodrive PP and Prodrive spring kit (owned for 10 years).  Bags of power and torque - 5 speed box, in my opinion, perfect rather than current STI's too close 6 speeder.  If struts prove to be a problem, KYB superior gas struts can no doubt be sourced from an independent supplier at a decent cost. Don't think of Subaru prices!

Edited by johnmacdonald
  • Upvote 1

Hi Kyle

If your looking for a hawk, I would recommend getting the early 06 if your lucky enough to get one. Your wallet will thank you. As road tax on the later registered models went up well over the £500 mark. Whereas the earlier models were half that. Strange though, same engine/same emissions. 

• Upvote 1
On 20/2/2019 at 18:02, Kyle Anderson said:

Thanks for the reply, trying to do as much research as possible before going for one, been looking out for standard ones, not a great deal of them out there but will keep looking, will also look out for the struts, seen a good example last week but it had quite a bit of blue smoke which put me off 

all good advice.

check oil & water

check engine light, airbag and abs lights must be on with ign and go off once started. treat Any £10 fix comment with pinch of salt. if that cheap would already been fixed

1. test cold start up, rattles and smoke.

2. test drive 10 to 20 test hot start smoke

3. slowly drive full lock to lock in 1st and reverse, clunking jumping

4. check oil n water again

5. look for an anal enthusiasts car

also agree Johns post the WRX 2.5ltr not a Big issue 

tony

Edited by t5nyw
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Kyle. All very good advice above. If you want a Hawkeye WRX with the EJ205 you could also have a look into the import route. Japanese examples tend to be less likely to suffer from rust & generally have lower mileage. Another benefit would be even cheaper road tax than UK Blobs & early 06 Hawks. £255 a year vs £315 a year currently.

Couple of specs & brochures for JDM Hawks

JDM WRX Hawk specs: http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/catalog/SUBARU__IMPREZA/10034669/

JDM WRX Hawk brochure March 2006: http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/GD.GGimpreza/2006.03 impreza WRX/2006.03 impreza WRX.html

JDM WRX Hawk brochure November 2006: http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/GD.GGimpreza/2006.11 imprezaWRX/2006.11 imprezaWRX.html

JDM WRX Hawk WR-Limited specs: http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/catalog/SUBARU__IMPREZA/10029166/

JDM WRX Hawk WR-Limited brochure: http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/GD.GGimpreza/2005.8 impreza WRX WR-Limited 2005/2005.8 impreza WRX WR-Limited 2005.html

The UK has some cracking special editions to keep a look out for too.

Blobeye WRX 300 (PPP as standard) brochure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Tg7ZPMAwxqUGNuSDhDSFFLTlU/view

Blobeye & Hawkeye WRX SL. Comes with heated leather seats + sunroof as standard & the option of the Prodrive Performance Pack. When looking for the PPP, always ask to see the certificate of authenticity902865926_PPP-CertificateofAuthenticity.jpg.53598d5b5f1e9210fbce00034de20328.jpg

as some owners never applied the silver sticker of authenticity to the car, preferring to keep it with the rest of the paper work.559697173_PPP-StickerofAuthenticity.jpg.c0e970935d525cd9e2c057b3142526d5.jpg If the sticker is on the car, its generally located on the inner frame when you open the driver’s door,307789851_PPP-StickerofAuthenticity2.jpg.6ac1deaa9f63f6df72214eddb696f041.jpg1370396025_PPP-StickerofAuthenticity3.jpg.b707373582e40ac96afcf93137cd0da5.jpg

although I’ve seen them in various places ranging from the engine bay to the top of the driver’s sun visor…1252024568_PPP-StickerofAuthenticity4.thumb.jpg.58ae5832555744ba2530e630b49b7680.jpg Here is a picture of things to look out for on a PPP equipped WRX, although it may have had additional modifications since the PPP was fitted. I believe the silicone intercooler Y-pipe was available in both blue & red.

PPP-Parts.jpg.e8e419e44a0e7f14e8dcd7567b06a73a.jpg

Prodrive recommend that 18’’ wheels & tyres are to be fitted to PPP equipped WRX's, so you may find a nice set of Prodrive or STI alloys fitted on the car too! A very rare option included the Prodrive 330mm Alcon Brake Conversion Kit as seen on the Subaru Impreza P1. I have not seen many Subaru's with this option fitted.

1657987198_Prodrive330mmAlconBrakeConversionKit.jpg.42dae622d00d7ab627946add84103b8f.jpg

Blobeye WRX PPP brochure: https://impreza.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2003-WRX-PPP-Brochure.pdf

Hawkeye WRX PPP brochure: https://impreza.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2006-WRX-PPP-Brochure.pdf

Hawkeye WRX GB270 (PPP as standard) brochure (Higher road tax of £540): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Tg7ZPMAwxqeUdXVjZTYklMSWc/view

Edited by stimulation
  • Upvote 1

Great info, thanks everyone! Went and seen a blob sti type uk within budget. Think I might go for it, high mileage but well looked after and serviced. Only concern is an mot a while back suggested really bad rust at rear suspension on both sides, couldn't see much from having a look at it and hasn't been brought up in any mot since so thinking it must have been fixed, anything else I should keep an eye out for ? Any other usual rust spots? Cheers!

Hi Kyle,

If the seller is unable to provide evidence that  the rust problem has been successfully dealt with, I would avoid, particularly as it's high mileage.  Every one of our six Imprezas has not suffered any rust, but all have been sold on at less than 40,000 and garaged. Low mileage examples are out there, but you will need to wait for the right one!

My forester suffered a bit unexpected rust on one rear sill, under the covers but first spotted by the jacking point,.  My own fault, sandy wellies etc repeatedly placed on that rear floor well, and realised over the years wiping round the lower door seal and the inside sill cover, it's probably washed a bit salt etc into the sill that eventually rotted through.   Easily accessible so about a 300 pound bill for a good repair.    Other side is sound, as are the Impreza sills.  

The front lower suspension arms can rust through, where the rear part from the rear bush is welded to the main section and the drain holes can block up, but only on the (originally painted )steel versions of the lower arms   some WRX and all STis have alloy arms I believe. (Mine have been regularly waxoyled and the drains poked through with wire and are fine)

many of the ancillary stuff like ARBs and rear hangers/ mounting points seem to develop surface rust but nothing structurally.

Mild steel sumps can rust, but easily stopped if spotted early and treated.

P.S. Check Rear wheel arches,. At the rear where the top of the bumper sits, and at the front of the arch, the bottom edge above the sill. Usually worse on older cars, can be treated or repaired but expensive if it's gone too far.

Edited by ccrien
P.S.
  • 2 months later...

My life what great info! I’m not nearly as clever or knowledgeable as my sidc colleagues but having had classic, bug, blob and hawk scoobies, love the hawk not only for looks but also performance. Difficult though to find one that hasn’t been twatted around with these days.  My current one was and has taken a few squids so far to sort out and still a way to go to get her back to original but we are getting there