Driving on snow

Subaru of America's "Drive" magazine used to contain all sorts of great articles in it's blueprint sections. Unfortunately it's been taken over by their "lifestyle" guru's and the magazine archive has been deleted/depleted.

However some of the articles were copied and appear on various sites.

Suggested settings appear at the bottom of this web page for  MY08 onwards SI-drive equipped cars

http://subaruidiots.com/si-drive-2008-sti-explained/6/

Copies of the rescued articles for Si-drive, VDC and DCCD can be found here in the first few posts (links in the first post now defunct)

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/118275-vdc-dccd-si-drive-explained-great-info.html

best option i found for grip. bear in mind i run sport # 99.999% 10 seconds after starting engine.

get rid of big wide tyres. 4 space savers woulg be ideal :thumbs:

1. put it in "i" mode and DCCD one dash back from fully locked and put traction off

or

2. Put in sport #, dccd fully back, traction both off. but ensure both side windows are clear. let 370bhp kill or cure :lol:

tony

Edited by t5nyw

Quoting Tony above:   get rid of big wide tyres. 4 space savers woulg be ideal :thumbs:"

Like these knobbly space savers you mean? From the late 90s (97 or 98 I think) RAC in Wauchope, Kielder, back In the day, as they say.  

Photos to follow!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ccrien

Thanks all.  Skinny tyres definitely make sense.  Back in the mid 1960's through to the 80's when we had seriously heavy snowfall, recall that the Ford Corsair V4  and subsequent replacements always managed to get me from home to work and back with little drama. RWD, no weight, no PAS, no ABS, but not 300bhp/300lbs ft!  But lots of rust...  Those were the days!!

Snow isn't what it used to be !      

Sounds a lot in the forecasts last few days  in millimetres  (25 to 70 mm and amber warnings in parts of the country and it just stops),.  When I was a kid it was measured in feet (1= over 300mm) or was it maybe inches (1=over25 mm). Anything less didn't get a mention.   But when I got older Michelin M+S tyres on a mini, Pirelli P6 on an 8 valve Astra SRI and Nokians on an Impreza ( and a few car/ tyre combos in between) keep us going.     Common theme was a big rounded shoulder profile/ tread and open block centre tread,.  And second hand / second set of winter wheels from scrapyards or eBay mak s it easy to change.

Stuff the EU tyre logo for fuel efficiency which just promotes  ribbed  treads, low rolling resistance and better fuel economy ( hypothetically or which means Not really,) and absolutely no grip in the reality of snow!   LOL.

Edit, P.S.   Most folks couldn't afford hats to keep warm in those days (look at the rally pics) but could still get out to the rallies miles away from home, or get to work in the snow miles away from home!       Root causes: Less (not always usefull) tech in the cars, better basics like good tyres, self dependence, and less traffic on the roads.   But getting up the forest tracks with some folks in front in no grip BMs  and then doing a  7 point turn to get home was a challenge. ( think it was a Daihatsu 4wd at the time but it  had  no centre diff so front wheels didn't always go where they were pointing no matter what tyres were on it) 

dont worry John, it'll be gone in a couple of days.

Edited by ccrien

I love the snow, as a Subaru owner you tend to be one of the only few on the road ?

The problem I have found with the newer cars is everything is electric, traction control, stability control and alike,  you simply don’t ‘feel’ what’s underneath you. The old scoob which sometimes gets uncomfortable gives great feel and feedback which makes it a joy to drive in the snow. I should really try it with winter tyres one day ?