Keyless entry issue/cant start car!

So... whilst I'm overseas, I have instructed my other half to start my car once a week. 2011 impreza STI with keyless entry/push button start.

What she is telling me is happening, is she presses the unlock button on the car, opens the door, but the alarm sounds. Once in the car she can get the alarm to go off by pressing unlock on the fob, but when she gets to the start up, clutch in - green light etc, the car wont start. When she tries to lock the car, it won't lock, tries the door - it opens and the whole saga starts again... Its pretty hard without being there to know exactly what is going on! but has anyone come accross this before? There is a fair chance she is doing something incorrectly, but not being able to see what it is, is the issue! Any help appreciated!

Edited by JSOCK
Sp

There is no unlock button on the car - it's for locking only. Sounds as if she is opening the door with the emergency key which doesn't cancel the alarm.

To open (whilst having the fob on person)  just put  hand into front door handle and open door. This action should cancel the alarm at the same time.

To lock car and set alarm, just close doors and press button on door handle.

Sorry, Ive totally mis worded my post, she is doing everything on the key fob, so using the unlock button on the fob, the indicators flash, but then she opens the door and the alarm sounds.. she sits in car, presses unlock button on fob, alarm goes off, but then the car wont start or try to start even though green light is on the button. The car also wont lock using the lock button on the fob

Shes given up, I think that the drivers side lock mechanism has jammed internally somehow, and because it isnt cycling correctly with the key fob/anti theft system, the car won't start.

Does that sound feasible? I cant see what else it could be

42 minutes ago, johnmacdonald said:

Why did Subaru go for keyless?  Totally unnecessary...

1. Fashion,  and an air of " premium" that Subaru don't need.    Or at one time they didn't need, maybe they think they do now? 

2. American market influence rather than the original pure Japanese engineering design values I suspect.  

3. And maybe influenced by the glossy car mags, you know the type ( I don't buy them anymore), whose sole purpose on earth is to sell more car mags to the public out there and sell more cars ( sponsored by and hospitality provided by  SMMT ) based  on the petty values in their car reviews that the majority of the public sheep these days seem to believe to be important, like premium interior feel and keyless entry  - rather than real life driving ability on real A and B roads and good old solid engineering and reliability.    

i am sure you will agree, the younger generations are being fleeced.

nevertheless, hope JSOCK gets it sorted soon and without much expense.

Edited by ccrien

Update incase anyone else comes accross this... The cause was the car battery was drained. Still enough power to turn on the dash lights/alarm etc.. but not start it..

Not entirely sure why the drivers door wouldnt lock, perhaps it's intentional so you can still gain access to the car to pop the bonnet.... 

I forgot to disconnect that P3 gauge, must be a parasitic drain through the OBD, even though it's not turned on. 

Interestingly, my partner has messaged me to say that the drivers door still won't lock... so must be 2 seperate issues...

47 minutes ago, ccrien said:

Good to hear your nearly sorted.  Read up the chain following from John's post though,.  Seems there's quite a drain anyway when these models are standing idle.  Trickle charger may be the long term prevention.  

Nothing a 51TfT1ElqsL._SX679_.jpg can't handle with the occassional boost/condition ??

Don, will keep Yuasa in mind for the future - I know they have a good reputation.  Amazing though, Merc C350 still running on its original seven year old battery,  often it's not used for seven days or more and always starts first time!  Mind you, still have an old WRX battery that's now 12 years old and still charges up and retains voltage for months on end.  But then, the Imprezas didn't need all of the non essential electronic kit!

• 1 month later...

i lock car with bonnet open and bonnet switch held down.

then disconnect the battery completely and 6 weeks later started car perfectly after connecting back up.

before people say there is no alarm!!! after 2 weeks alarm wouldnt have worked anyway.

tony

2 hours ago, johnmacdonald said:

Problem is that with the 2015MY STI, if the battery is disconected/goes flat after two weeks holiday, I loose all of the settings, which are very longwinded and not entirely logical to reinstate.  Shall stick with my CTEK charger being connected while away! (Don's excellent suggestion).

John

i also have one. for the T25 and disconnect the MY11 :thumbs:

2 hours ago, johnmacdonald said:

So, what are you running?

my11 new YXB5000 battery only std subaru alarm. i,m going to check my metasat is disconnected

After 10-14 days sometimes locks ok but not quite enough to start it.

10-21 days might get lights flashing or dead as dodo

Tony