Wheel scrubbing

Does it do it more when you are reversing while on lock? 

Mine does it, it’s like it’s crabbing a little. Something to do with the diff. It has never caused any issues and I have always considered it a feature ? Someone with far more tech knowledge will no doubt give you a better explanation shortly.

Quote from another subaru forum on the subject

"By the way, my car occasionally shudders a wheel. Usually at low speed in parking lots. Often while running over some form of debris or manhole cover.

Just a bit of 4WD wind-up undoing itself."

Can be caused by tyres having different circumferences due to wear (Normal to replace all four tyres together and rotate front to back annually)

mine does same getting in and out of a tight drive,.

depends on if struts are worn, type of road surface and type of tyres.

try putting DCCD in Manual and 1Bar. should improve a bit. if so probably ok. if still same maybe rear struts. 45+km

Tony

• 1 month later...

Mine has always done it too. Always much better on DCCD set to manual and fully off. It is just a bit of wind up on the 4WD and nothing at all to worry about. The rear Diffs have worm gears that under load and any difference in rotation will force the worm out into a clutch pack to lock the wheel to the crown. In reverse the worm gear can ping in to the stop easily and be very "agricultural" to say the least. 

It's still better than crappy open diffs and a clever ABS using the brakes as an LSD...

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2018 at 20:07, t5nyw said:

mine does same getting in and out of a tight drive,.

depends on if struts are worn, type of road surface and type of tyres.

try putting DCCD in Manual and 1Bar. should improve a bit. if so probably ok. if still same maybe rear struts. 45+km

Tony

Tony,

when you say struts do you mean the dampers themselves or the top mounts or some other part of the strut?

Mine does this pretty bad, makes it stall sometimes if you arn't quick enough to increase the throttle/dip the clutch. Really "notchy" in reverse and full lock.

Another Tony

Edited by TonyD90
added some stuffs
  • Upvote 1
On 17/1/2019 at 22:46, TonyD90 said:

Tony,

when you say struts do you mean the dampers themselves

Mine does this pretty bad, makes it stall sometimes if you arn't quick enough to increase the throttle/dip the clutch. Really "notchy" in reverse and full lock.

Another Tony

Tony

Yes the Dampeners :mellow:

Tony 2 :rolleyes:

On 21/01/2019 at 18:02, t5nyw said:

Tony

Yes the Dampeners :mellow:

Tony 2 :rolleyes:

10 Year Tony

haha, you know the shock absorbers, the bounce sponges, velocity resistors ?

I was reversing in the snow and the jolting was very apparent on full lock. I could see in the snoo tracks that is was only one front wheel dragging. I'm going to change the g/box fluid and see if that helps, failing that i will be looking at suspension...

...but should I upgrade? ?

Being a new member I feel I am the Tony II

19 minutes ago, TonyD90 said:

10 Year Tony

haha, you know the shock absorbers, the bounce sponges, velocity resistors ?

I was reversing in the snow and the jolting was very apparent on full lock. I could see in the snoo tracks that is was only one front wheel dragging. I'm going to change the g/box fluid and see if that helps, failing that i will be looking at suspension...

...but should I upgrade? ?

Being a new member I feel I am the Tony II

Good idea, although did you try right n left lock? might be Front LSD

next time do it with DCCD in manual and fully open see if smoother.

upgrage IMHO.

generally on gen 1 and 2 I always advise putting spring kit as better handling withont compromising comfort

Bur 3rd Gen cars, hatch onwards, heavier and bushed different. also coil overs have progressed. get tapered rear springs that use original top mounts.

tony