2015 WRX STi flat battery

After buying the STi at two years old, battery failed quite frequently and replaced it with an upgraded Bosch item. Away for 2 weeks in May this year and it just turned over enough to start. Back today from a 9 day break (garaged, alarm not set) and battery completely flat. Any ideas please?

With the keyless entry/ access, and do they still fit the metasat tracker or similar? there is always some the drain on the battery. If you don't do particularly long journeys in the vehicle it will always be in some state of partial discharge and not fully charged.

Best option when not in use, is to use a battery conditioner (eg CTEK - https://www.ctek.com/ ) to keep it in condition and fully charged and in good condition.

Not sure about Bosch, but the best battery I've had/have is a Yuasa 5000 series.

i also have same issues 4 batteries in 7 years.

Occasional usage and sometimes ok for 3 weeks then long run and 5 days flat.!!!! alway un with side lights on and more reliable.

Ive got coditioner but holidays away issues.

also had a new starter as knackered £240 fitted.  when starter main feed rubber cover pulled off they found crimp was only held in by a few cores.so may be worth checking

i also keep a ION 82800mah jump starter in boot, just in case

tony

Edited by t5nyw
  • 2 months later...

Looks good, but the 2015 on WRXSTi has so many (too many) settings options, I guess I would lose all pre-sets, as happened last three times the battery died and not totally logical to reinstate. Bring back the good old simplistic days of the Classic...

Although moderately expensive, I believe the CTEK will be ideal for me.

My car is rarely used too now. I have a nice little 10,000mAh LiION battery that can charge my phone and iPad, or jump the car. It can start a dead flat car too. Very impressive little thing. I take it away with me. Has to go hand baggage anyway, so perfect to wake the car up. I should plug a solar apck into it to be fair as it's outside facing south in my car park spot....

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

So, Monday morning, garaged since Friday, STI just fired up.  Today, voltage down to 12v and CTEK employed again.  The Bosch battery has  4 year warranty and the suppliers have agreed to replace it if a proper voltage/CCA print out proves it's past it.  Going to ATS tomorrow, but after a full charge today and then a 10 mile drive, how can the check show up a problem?  Any thoughts?

After an overnight charge, went to ATS for a battery check on Friday.  After a drive 10 miles, Midtronics printout showed voltage at 12.19 and CCA 321.  Check carried out less than 2 minutes of arriving.  ATS confirmed battery needed replacement, but Advanced Battery Supplies refused to countenance that, even though battery just over 2 years old with a 4 year guarantee.  After a polite discussion (I am never rude or abusive), rubbished my thoughts and finally put the phone down on me!  Not to be recommended.  Life's too short to pursue, so I have ordered a 75ah/590CCA from Tanya.  Hopefully, battery problems since buying the STI will now be resolved for a while!

On 22/10/2018 at 15:43, The Don said:

By using your knob you are also disconnecting the alarm.........

true..   But alarm doesn,t work if your battery if Flat either

i have same disconnect. 

after 10 days connected battery flat wont start. 14 days battery dead as dodo .

disconnected after 6 weeks car started perfect

So, new Enduroline 75Ah/650CCA battery from Tanya fitted  today and initial impression very positive. Tanya have recommended using the CTEK charger whenever the STI is unlikely to be used for a few days...  This is the third battery on my March 2014 (2015MY ) STI.  Hope new one will last for  at least 3 years!

Meantime, little used Merc C350 7 year old battery fires it up still as if new...

• Upvote 1
On 5/2/2019 at 21:02, johnmacdonald said:

.  Hope new one will last for  at least 3 years!

Meantime, little used Merc C350 7 year old battery fires it up still as if new...

bet if the merc battery was fitted on scoob us in 18 months :huh: leave on merc anther 10 years

my old scoob battery recond by ctek left 24 months ago in garage  still started my scoob.

although common starter main cable crimp can fail cores break

New battery fine.  Huge 80ah/800CCA Merc battery simply wouldn't fit, its  power is designed for stop-start which I turn off in sympathy for the starter motor! The Merc 2door coupe is a high performer in complete contrast to the WRX STI.  7 speed auto with overriding paddle shifts, 306 BHP, 0-60 6 secs, comfy sports suspension, quiet and up to 40 mpg on a long run from its silky smooth 3.5 litre petrol V6.  Also a very rare car, which I like.  So privileged to have use of two amazing and so different performance machines!