New Member - VXR to WRX

Hello ...

...and thank you for having me. I've recently purchased a standard 2014 WRX STI and I'm over the moon with it. Previous experience with a stage 2 VXR, pictured. I'm here for some modification advice if anyone would be so kind - I'm still getting my head around the change so please be patient with some of my questions!

First off and probably the most ridiculous, there's a bit of confusion about the year. I've been told even though i've got the 2014, I should be checking out parts in the 2015+ model bracket as opposed to the 11-14'. Is this correct?

I've always wanted a Subaru, the styling and look just give me that little twinge downstairs. You know the one. But I'm needing to do something about the exhaust. Coming from a turbo back, decatted Remus on the VXR that gave out those satisfying pops and bangs to strike fear into your enemies, the standard Subaru exhaust has me a little deflated.

I'm fairly set on the N1 cat back however looking for advice on the remainder of the turbo- back and relevant parts for a stage 2 upgrade.

I see a lot on Grimmspeed and Cobb catted j-pipes - is there are preference between the two? I don't think I'll be going down the decatted route.

I'll need the cold air intake but will I need to upgrade the fuel delivery system / injectors / boost control solenoid as well? If so any recommendations?

I'm in the north-eat of Scotland, is there any garages recommended for the remap?

And how necessary is the access port if i'll unlikely move to stage 3?

Really looking forward to getting some time on this car, will keep this thread updated with progress if there's interest.

Thanks

IMG_20180331_144253.jpg

Hi, and welcome.

Yes, yours will be an MY15 (Model Year15) which were in production from the end of 2013 until early 2015.

The reason being production overlapped with the last of the previous model WRX STi which were MY14 (none of which came to the UK but did come to Europe).

Looks as if you've been reading various US sites with the mention of Cobb and J pipes (??). Cobb access port is only really available for the US and now Australian Domestic models.

A note of caution

One of the main weak links with the Subaru EJ257 engine is that it is prone to ringland and headgasket failure necessitating the fitting of forged pistons and ARP head studs as a minimum, if you are looking at modifying it to any great extent.

All I have done with our 2014 WRX STi (2015 MY) is to fit a Hayward & Scott straight though centre pipe, Eibach springs and Pipercross panel filter. Also have run our previous Imprezas on Miller's nano tech competition oils. Expensive, but never had a failure! For me the enhanced exhaust sound is spot on. Welcome to SIDC - join up as a member!

• 2 weeks later...