New Member Here!..& Decision Time In Buying A Scooby:)

Hey Guys....

Thought i better sign up here & get myself in on the Scooby scene!!...just tried to pay my subs & encountered a problem?..what is this ticket buisness @ the bottom?..confused there.

Well ready to join anytime if a mod can help, great...but if not..i'll read up & eventually sort it out myself i guess;).

So yes, i love my jpn sports cars...more so the rally derived versions!!....i recently sold two celica gt4's, one pre & one post ST205 models...@ 255 bhp standard import power..they were plenty fast enough for me!!..not really into extracting more power...i like to keep my motors standard.

One was a near mint example/ lucerne silver, the other a real basket case that really needed lots of essential work doing!!...i'm a mechanic by trade & so i always have a few projects on the go...i really do love my motors & sorting out faults & problems on them.

I feel i have a little ocd dissorder too. as sometimes things get dissmantled just too far!!...& i go crazy cleaning & painting things etc!!.

Used to be into sports bikes & had to kick that into touch.....houses came along & families etc...so a decent sports car is more practical & definatley much much safer!!.

I have had a few fast cars in my past.....i won't mention other makes..but i had some fun out of a glanza v turbo, but found it a little too small & very lairy at high speed!!...an mr2 sw20 turbo was quite quirky ..but ultimatley scary for me when pushed....guys, you just cannot beat a fast 4x4 can you!??....

I always hankered after a skyline....& a mitsu evo...but they are too old now & mega money STILL!?.

Now i have never owned a subaru...& i'm coming into the market for one about now....& a few folk have said to me , everyone into fast cars needs to experience a scooby at least once!!..so that's why i'm here...i find i got GOT to get me one...but i am now overwhelmed with the sea of scoobys out there & the bodged tat kicking about!!....i'm just looking for a standard motor...albeit as late & as low mileage as i can afford!! :music:

Ok i realise i would like an rb320...but top money!!...i honestly do not like the latest hatchback models 2009 on is it?.

I'm looking at these three models & would REALLY appreciate some input of the experienced scooby owners on here please!! :headbang:

Here we go~...what do you think is the best options guys?.

Subaru impreza 2.0 WRX STI TYPE UK DCCD Widetrack 2005~2006 ?. blobeye

OR

Subaru impreza Hawkeye, WRX STI 2.5 2007~2008 ? WIDETRACK .

OR.

Been told these are going to go up in value as only 300 made?~

Subaru impreza GB270 special edition & go up to a 2008!!...Mmm newer & don't look bad.

I'll wear the high TAX of the 2.5's as this car is going to be used in summer only & as a second motor..

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated lads!! :icon_pray:

Best regards

Marc

Welcome along.

Tough choice.... The 2.5L has a bit of a rep of being delicate more so in the newer hatch variant. The 2.0 L is a bit more bulletproof (they still use the 2.0L in Japan).

There was a debate about the GB 270 in the Scottish section over this last weekend. It's a WRX with a few Prodrive tweaks but they seem to be high priced for what is a WRX with a few extras (7,000+).

If your happy to pay the £500ish tax for the 2.5L Hawk it's a tough choice between that and the Blob. It could come down to what feels best to you on a test drive.

Hey marc

Welcome to the forum

Id say 2004 wide track sti. Over the 2.5 hawks.

Lower tax band and beleive the 2004 sti wide track blob was the strongest built internals and better kit in general of the marques. 2.5 hqwks were prone to going pop.

Pics can be linked using photobucket or similar. And any and all pics are welcome. The more the better.

Where about you from ? Also keep an eye out in ur region for meets shows and events and also any questions just ask.

As for support ticket. Sometimes theres an issue regarding membership etc so a mod has to process it for you. So if you raise a support ticket regarding your member name etc it should get sorted quite quickly.

Thankyou very much guys....i heard of the 2.5's developing piston slap....& not keen on that £265 fer 6 mths tax!!....to be honest, it was the lure of a much later motor..i got my eye on a 2008 GB270 ...BUT also have my eye on a minty 2005 sti widetrack!!..hmmm....both same prices!!?

Here was my celica before i got rid of the 'CHEESE'!!...i put it back to standard WRC mode. here

Before~

019-2.jpg

After~

DSCF0992_zps922dda40.jpg

The previous owner had 20" lenso alloys on it !!??...looked a tarts handbag TBH ...i like originality.

Cheers...yes i'm at leeds pal....this was the shed i picked up for £1500...it needed lots of work, i saved the best job until last, there was worn synchro's on third gear...these use double/triple syncro units & there's even a syncro on reverse..

The whole shebang had to be dissmantled here~

at first the shed was like this~

DSCN0397.jpg

Cut o long story short...arrived here~

DSCF0883_zps561f35b0.jpg

DSCF0881_zps6a30fbea.jpg

Fubared....

DSCF0879_zpsd071798a.jpg

And finally a second lease of life!!..

DSCF0972_zps4b1c7d05.jpg

There are lots more pic's..but this is a cut down summary....sorry .

Post '96 facelift ST205...

Edited by Neo Gold

Very tough....last week i was full set on a GB270 & actually had my eye on one inparticular....£10500 though @ a 2008

I guess i'm looking for that good private sale...to save a couple of grand.

I'll not be wasting money on extracting more power as i'm just looking for a standard car...even that's difficult:)

The hawkeye is easily the best looking one i agree..

You know what?. i would settle for a mint UK300 bugeye!!..honest;)

Hey, not bad!...daily driver!?...wow, deep pockets...what's mileage?.

NAh pockets aint that deep. Hence shes goin up for sale at end of the month after a wee service and oil change etc. Got the 1st baby on the way but if i cld keep the scoob i wld.

Daily driver to work and back but its only 4 miles to work haha sitting on 90k which isnt to bad for it bein 11 year old. I got it when it had i think 67k on the clock so other than 4 miles to work and back 5days a week and the odd club run/show its no done much in my 4 years or driven particulary hard because all rpads arpund me are 30-40mph roads especiaoy the work drive

NAh pockets aint that deep. Hence shes goin up for sale at end of the month after a wee service and oil change etc. Got the 1st baby on the way but if i cld keep the scoob i wld.

Daily driver to work and back but its only 4 miles to work haha sitting on 90k which isnt to bad for it bein 11 year old. I got it when it had i think 67k on the clock so other than 4 miles to work and back 5days a week and the odd club run/show its no done much in my 4 years or driven particulary hard because all rpads arpund me are 30-40mph roads especiaoy the work drive

Hey!!...congratulations:)....boy or girl ?..all the best for the future my freind!! :music:

Exiteing times for you...forget these silly money wasting toys eh!.

Edited by Neo Gold

Of the five Imprezas owned since 1998, my widetrack 2 litre STi with Prodrive Performance Pack (essential extra!) was probably the most frantic and enjoyable of them all. It was one of the very last sold - first registered September 2006.

Yes...it all points to the 2ltr model....last year i saw a hawkeye with a 2ltre,they seem very rare.

But i see your sig?...a 2.5 litre?...

Yes, currently wife and I share the 2006 WRX PPP 2.5. I sold the Sti three years ago - simply couldn't afford to run both! However, absolutely no complaints about the WRX - with the PPP, it's remarkably quick and of course benefits from 310 lbs/ft and even with the 18" PFF7s and Prodrive spring kit, it is definitely more comfy than the STi! Had no issues with the 2.5 since purchased in 2007 (apart from a failed auxilliary air pump). Always use Millers CFS 10W60 full synthetic engine oil and Millers transmission oils - expensive, but I believe worth the extra. The 2 litre Hawk you saw was no doubt a JDM import...

Don't write off the option of a Hawkeye 2.5 STi!

Edited by joshuajames

Yes, currently wife and I share the 2006 WRX PPP 2.5. I sold the Sti three years ago - simply couldn't afford to run both! However, absolutely no complaints about the WRX - with the PPP, it's remarkably quick and of course benefits from 310 lbs/ft and even with the 18" PFF7s and Prodrive spring kit, it is definitely more comfy than the STi! Had no issues with the 2.5 since purchased in 2007 (apart from a failed auxilliary air pump). Always use Millers CFS 10W60 full synthetic engine oil and Millers transmission oils - expensive, but I believe worth the extra. The 2 litre Hawk you saw was no doubt a JDM import...

Don't write off the option of a Hawkeye 2.5 STi!

Cheers for that james!....comfort , well i only want standard sussy & tyres etc....plenty of arch gap for me! ;)....but....

Yes i would go for a hawkeye import...certainly...if i could find one!.

Its the tax band i disslike!!..£500!!;(

Edited by Neo Gold

Yes, we are fortunate with the WRX - road tax "only" £280.00 for about 4,000 miles a year! And the STi, being registered post March 2006 would still be £480.00? Mind you, still tempted by the latest WRX STi available from May. What else would we waste our hard earned on?!

I can honestly say , hand on heart & state...that i really don't like the newer shape 'hatch' vers of the impreza....at all.

Folk really dissliked the Bugeye vers, but i liked it!!!...only thing i don't like about those is most i have seen underneath have been RED rusty!!..

I nearly bought a UK300 last year & really wish i had gone ahead with the deal tbh....it would have made a great car.

Back on to that, yes ..well you have a point.....enjoy what you can, when you can....spend it.