1997 Sti V3 Technical/quick Butchers

Hi,

Ive been looking at STIs around the 4k-5k mark on PH and found this

My link

Guy bought the car a few days ago and has had several of these. Seems to know Steve Simpson pretty well and knows his onions.

I just want to know more about this

Is it a good car? ive never owned a classic

is it something i should avoid?

all the usual advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Not specific to the car but........

Guy bought the car a few days ago - danger danger

knows his onions - and want to get shot? hmmmm.

Is it a good car? Dunno. Pictures are shat and don't show most of the car in detail. Classics should be bought on condition and unless totally standard only by those who know what they're looking at.

is it something i should avoid? go in with your eyes open. Why doesn't it have a version 3 front end on it for example?

all the usual advice would be greatly appreciated - stick to lardy newages gaylord. ;)

On the face of it looks nice a clean.

I would want to know : who built the engine?

Who mapped it?

Dyno graph or proof of bhp!

What turbo ?injectors? As these will tell you if it has been done to a budget or eBay special(nothing against eBay). Standard box maybe ok at 350bhp but the torque of a 2.5 will kill the 5speed quickly!!

It still has 4 pots on the front which will scare the life out of you if you use the car in anger!!

It has a replica 22b front bumper and as Colin says why?? Mod or repair!!

I have same version and it's getting pretty old now so look out for rust!!

And as I was told by many people gold wheels white car looks c@@p but what the hell do they know!!

Best of luck

Graeme

Thanks for the advice Graeme.

Since yesterday the following has happened:

1. Guy has decided it needs a map to freshen up and runs at 1.2bar

2. Wants to fit a VF36 to the 2.5, headers and a Harvey up pipe then get Steve Simpson to map it. I think the 36 will be too small

3. He's started ripping out the AC. Know why but is he selling it or becoming a scientist?

So another option is this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4072198.htm

Spoke with the guy and it is a ej20 running 387/344 on a TD05.

My concern is its an R plate. Should it be a concern? Someone once tOld me 98s were to be avoided.

It's registered as a GN but could it actually be a sport???

Much help needed with this one please. Been listed for 23 days also concerns me a bit

Chris

I totally agree with Peter ^^^^

With the previous one a map refresh? Ehh never heard of that unless it was only on a running in map? Maybe? Only 1.2 bar means it probably a chocolate 2.5 that's in it and will not take much more boost!

Vf36 would be interesting but as peters says would need the supporting headers and up pipe and downpipe, but done properly this would be an awesome road car with quick spool and a ton of torque probably about 360ish bhp should be achievable but again kill the box quickly! I prefer the 1st one as it has potential but the second for the reason above( plus the graphics are not to my taste).

Hth

Graeme

In that second one, wtf are "driled discs"...."exgaust"...."hid zeons"????

I also call bullsh1t on the "it got proper STI stickers on tinted windows".........must be the new invisible type!

Sounds like a 4 year old or a drunk chinaman has written it........steer away from that one.

Car 1:

The guy is off on one and working in his own world. The vf36 on that engine sounds nuts to me, the boost being so low worries me

I wont be getting that

Car 2:

The decals would be off instantly, the guy seemed genuine enough but hasnt been the owner long

Im starting to wonder if I should find someones fairly standard cherished baby and mod it myself my way !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...