Setting the Record Straight

I havent posted on here for a while, thats not to say I don't still consider myself a member of SIDC however working away means you lose touch sometimes and the time difference usually means that I am reading posts when you are all in bed (Or not in the case of certain Tobagan JPS roukers)

Certain snide comments and people talking shat has led me to put the record straight about what actually happened to the Fat Banana. This is something I never intended to have to do so that certain parties feeling were not hurt or painful memories evoked however as always some people enjoy other peoples misfortune or error of judgment and seem to thrive on it so this is an exercise in setting the record straight.

At the beginning of Maylast year I returned home looking forward to driving the banana which I had recently purchased from Grant. Foolishly I allowed myself to be persuaded to go for a spirited drive on the morning after I got back, jet lagged and exhausted.

Anyone who has driven with me will know its all or nothing. I make no apologise for this its just how I am, I have grown up alot over the past 10 years. I drove spiritly most of the day, then the rain came on and I slowed down. Any other parties involved in this story need not be mentioned, it was I and I alone who made the decision to go out that day.

In Glencoe, in the rain I overtook a tourist bus, I thought the bus was slowing to let me past before a bridge where the road narrows, the driver instead pulled out, he hit me,luckily went into the crash barrier, which shot me along the edge of the road I hit the edge which popped the front suspension, some panel damaged occured but that was it. The car was straight and no the roll cage didn't save my life. I was travelling at 55-60mph, the national speed limit. If I had been going any quicker then perhaps I wouldnt be here today.

The car was recovered to Grants house. There was a few tears and I felt like a proper Gareth Hunt. I had just killed his pride and joy he no longer could look after.

Insurance was settled just before Xmas. Car was auctioned which DRB5 posted up. A few glitches but no problem there. All you conspiracy theorists, can have sex and travel.

The decision was made by Grant to keep it quiet. This was due to the anguish he felt, but also because he knew that I went through hell when the Fatboy was destroyed by fire, and the lies and bullshat that was talked then about a horrible mishap that almost took my life.

This time it was my error of judgement that had seriously damaged an iconic car and I suppose it was because he didnt want my feelings hurt or my good name tarnished again that he chose this path, despite personal struggles or problems, which is one of the most loyal things anyone has ever done for me.

So there you go, no smoke and mirrors, no hidden agenda.

Back in the day when I was active in the club we used to gossip, bad mouth, laugh etc etc just like every normal human being does, but we never revelled in others misfortune due to an accident or a crash or a mishap.

Cars in fields, engines on fire, cars gutted, whang changing the crash barriers at KH was all worthy of gossip or the odd exaggerated story but we were never nasty and always were there to offer help if we could.

I would like to think its still the same today...........

Callum - Professional Icon wrecker ;-)

Never realised there was so much rumour and gossip surrounding what happened to the car! :o I just took it as is.. An unfortunate accident with a car I was quite fond of (in a strange sort of way).. DIdn't realise there was soo much fuss and stories going on..

Good to hear your ok though! :icon_salut:

Well Callum thank's for posting this, and to be honest I knew nothing about what happened to the Banana, probably cause I have been more interested in my 2 wheels and off the scene, so thanks for filling the void, as for Grant that's a true gentleman and a great friend if you ask me. All in all it is only a car and no lives were lost and that's the way I see it you both are hear to tell the story. I understand Grants pain when this happened and you have been in a situation when your pride and joy was destroyed. :(

I would be deeply upset if i knew someone was reveled in someones misfortune. :censored:

However there will be spirited banter and I'm sure it comes with the territory I'll not be giving you a shot of mines lol.. :occasion14:

Thanks for sharing mate.

Big CHRIS

Edited by braveheart

on the plus side seing too icons sadly wrecked does mean youve owned two icons - which is currently two more than ive managed!

important thing is that no one was hurt and folks will always gossip - sure i heard that you swerving to avoid a unicorn at 220mph while racing a veyron...... ;)

For a different reason I hated that bloody Yellow NSX ermmmm banana i mean :P

On a serious note, people will always bitch, people will always exaggerate a rumour, people will always gossip crap regardless of facts even when presented with actual hard evidence to the contrary!

I understand totally the need for keeping it quiet & anyone that doesn't respect that can just politely rent a rent boy!

At the end of the day people just love to gossip & talk pure mince.

Had a wee pang when i heard it crashed & immediately sent Grant & Imy a text to make sure they were ok, never pushed for a WTF happened as i knew Grant would rightly be upset.

Takes a big man to stand up & ''clear the record'' for whomever is sprouting gossip/pish.

Cheers Callum

Not been on here for a while for various reasons.

Just would like to say sorry that you were having to sell the car in the first place Grant. Hope to bump into you soon :occasion14:

Callum thats two Subaru's Ive wanted to buy youve ended you furker. Seriously though, glad you walked away and cant imagine how bad you must feel.

Such a shame this was an iconic car for SIDC imho :Scottish-flag:

Edited by mikeyb13

Dont feel really there was any need to justify what happened or how it happened its nobodys business other that those associated with the car.

We have all caried out manouvres on the road at times whether it was on runs,weekend aways or as individuals that we thought back on and went mmmmmm maybe i shouldnt have done that but got away with it.

You were unluky enough to not be so lucky that day and thankfully nobody was hurt or even worse and the only thing damaged was some pride by yourself and Grant at losing a car.

There will be times when things like this happen in the future but maybe a heads up to us all to think twice at times before hitting the loud pedal.

There will always be chit chat about circumstances and when it all went wrong like the time i came off the ring at 170mph on cold tyres overtaking a Diablo, but really just ran out of talent !!

Hope alls well and no doubt something else will spring up from either yourself of Grant soon.

Hopes all well cowboy ;-)

Can't say I heard any rumours about you Callum other than those about your sexuality. Those were concerning a smashed in rear end also.

If someone has a bone to pick then they should say it to your slabber covered face like in the old days.

What you driving these days (apart from all the old queers crazy)?

P.s. You're a homo.

Can't say I heard any rumours about you Callum other than those about your sexuality. Those were concerning a smashed in rear end also.

If someone has a bone to pick then they should say it to your slabber covered face like in the old days.

P.s. You're a homo.

I did hear Colin thanks for confirming also heard that he has a large cowboy hat with knee length cowboy boots each to our own Wilky, I knew you were a bottle of crisps from the start !! if your happy with your sexuality that's all good lol

Edited by braveheart

Colin, Chris thanks for that.

You obviously spoke about this as you sword fenced your way across the dancefloor in Bennets with the red erseless chaps on before lurking in a dark corner.

Let me worry about what I do with my sword and you can look after your pen knife.

If you ever come up for air give me a shout.

P.s. You're a homo.

God I love your patter Colin! :icon_flower:

I'm not intrested in breaking any land speed records so will be exempt from the willy waving club lol :smiley-taunt014:

Steve W built it for me last year, still on the little old 20G for now. Andy will be doing my mapping as always :)

Bigger turbo is on the cards but saving up some pennies for a half decent tow car just now. Saying that I'm going to need to get it back to Steves as it's a non runner just now with some kind of electrical fault :(