Computer Help Please

This is driving me bananas.....

I have a BT Home Hub 3 wireless router in the house - various (read too bloody many) wireless devices connected to this.

I have no problems with anything except for the printer I use. It is a Canon MP620 and it's connected wirelessly.

The laptop is using Windows 7.

Please don't say BT is pish, windows7 is guff, PCs are gay etc, etc - I just need some help if you can.

I install the printer using the installation software from Canon and all is fine. The computer sees the printer and I can print and so on, all via the wireless network.

Overnight, or sometime after installation the printer will become 'offline' when looked at in the devices and printers tab. During this time the laptop will have been switched off but the printer probably, or always in fact, has not. No amount of effing about can make the laptop 'see' the printer and make it online. The only way I can use it again is to delete the printer from devices and then reinstall.

This bit is where I am confused - during the (re)install the printer is detected as already connected to the network, a mac and ip address are there and all I need to do is select it and it completes the installation and I'm back in business - until the next gap between uses.

If you go to the BT home hub interface on the laptop, when the computer sees the printer as offline, the printer is listed as a device that is connected to the hub. So the printer is never disconnecting from the network, it's just the laptop that switches to offline in respect of the printer.

I've tried everything I can think of, I've googled it to death and despite trying many things, it never works.

Please help as I'm wearing out the part of my hard drive with the installation program on it :smiley-violent003:

When you re-install it is the IP address the same each time?

Don't have much experience with the BT home hubs (Or wireless printing :rolleyes:) but I've heard some routers/hubs are quite agressive with switching IP addresses of devices too often.. In normal circumstances they expire after 7 days.. This one may be expirign after a few hours..

If the address is different on the overnight test then that's possibly why they loose conenction with each other.. In which case try manually setting the IP address on the printer and see if that helps..

Or as above :smiley-violent003:

P.s. PC's and W7 is the way to go.. Had a shot of a iPad yeasterday and found it unbelievably restrictive in what you can (or shoudl that be can't) do with it. :cussing:

:iagree:

Just a few years ago everythign somehow just seemed to work.. Now manufactueres are tryign to be clever and add their own little quirks and gimmicks to their devices which makes them unique. And therefore more of a B4^&%^rd to work with.. :boxing:

There are standard protocols for computery stuff and they all seem to be gettin broken these days as manufactueres think they know better.. :hitler:

Totally agree! Working as a System engineer at the moment and each year just get's worse and worse.. The users are their own worst enemy.. Warn them that if they carry on the way they are working it's gonne break.. But their attitude is well if it's worked this way for us ok so far why will it break later! :brickwall:

Gonna be good fun when they reality hits them that their precious 2MBit leased line is disappearing next year and all we can get at the office is 0.5mbit broadband with 256k upload! because BT refuse to upgrade the exchange and rumours are they are no longer supplying leased lines as low as 2Mbit! They have been warned!.. :rolleyes:

Also my work PC is now 9 years old this week!! And I'm not allowed an upgrade! :cussing:

[/Rant over]

Can totally understand why you'd give it up.. :icon_hang:

Edited by ScoUK

Here's what I suggest:

1a. Make sure you've got the latest install software for your printer - check on the manufacturer's website to see if they have one there that may be more up to date than your install disk (very likely). If there is one, download it and use it instead of the CD.

1b. Make sure any print jobs to the printer have been canclled on the problematic computer. Do this by double-clicking on the printer's icon if there is one under Printers. If anything there, make sure it's deleted.

2. Totall uninstall/remove the printer from your system where you're having issues.

3. Reboot that computer

4. After rebooting, go into Printers and Faxes, and select the File menu, then Server Properties. Be sure to delete any drivers remaining listed under the driver tab, IF they are related to this printer.

5. Reboot again.

6. Load your setup/installation CD or downloaded setup/install file on the problematic computer (DO NOT HAVE THE PRINTER CONNECTED VIA USB - JUST MAKE SURE THAT PRINTER IS SETUP TO WORK ON YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK).

7. During the install, the software will either auto-detect where the printer is, or it will ask you if it's over the network or via usb - specify network, then wireless if asked again.

8. After install is completed, print a test page to be sure you got it right.

If that all goes through, you should be fine. I've not personally messed with the wireless networking on any printers other than the HP models, so there may be some variance, as there is even some variance between HP models alone.

The printer is most likely got a dynamic IP address which means the home hub will be giving it a new address each day/few days. What you need to do is give the printer a static ip address ... You should be able to make the hub give it the same ip address every time. :P

Thanks for the various replies - might need more help though and more info for your thoughts.....

I'm only trying to access the printer from one laptop Paul. And it's the latest driver too.

When I checked just now the printer is 'offline'

But when I go to the router, the printer is still connected to the router. And so if I uninstall the printer from my laptop, and then reinstall it, the printer is already connected to the router, it's on the network and I choose it from a list as the one to 'connect' to. So the printer is never becoming disconnected from the router - it's just that the laptop thinks it's 'offline' and no amount of laptop off/printer off will allow the printer to become 'ready'

could be various problems like the static and multiple i.p address like cathy says only isuues with chagning the i.p address i think is sometimes can have a knock on effect of causing problems conecting to the internet i could be wrong tho .

other problem/solution could be

- problem could be with the wireless security / authentication.The printer although showing as connected to the router, with an IP address, might not like using WPA2-PSK. therefore you might need to downgrade to WPA-PSK. for the wireless and security of the network ,

2- could be a possible firewall/antivirus problem interupting the connection , especialy after having that facebook problem you had a month or so ago , if youve changed any of the security settings or firewall settings then that could be affecting the computer and printer or blocking the printer connecting to it , possible try setting up the and installing the printer again some point in the evening but have all the firewalls off and dont use the computer to connect to internet (as you dont want to pick up virus's with the firewalls turned off or turned to low) leave it over night and check in the morning to see if the printer is still there and availible in the network, if so then you know that could be the problem .

3- although this is a different printer and running on xp this linky might shed some light as its a similar problem

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=1143049&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00294592

4- if none of them work :smiley-violent003: , just plug it in and use a cable ya f---y lol stop using this wireless witch craft didgery doo :smiley-taunt014:

• 1 month later...

We have the same problem with the Wenches HP printer. Sits there in the corner then when you need it the computer can't communicate with it...... Pain in the ass i might just get the cable out of the box my printer is in and use that when i need it.

I have found turning it off - unplugging it and turning it back on it seems to work again. I think it just gets bored and shuts it's self down as it spends 99.99999999999% of it's time collecting dust. It's obviosuly too hard to get up and switch it on when it's actually needed.....

Hi, I know a bit about these things. It is possible that your HHv3 address is dropping out. You might try and connect it to your BT fon ascribed part of your bandwidthe [bTFon-H].

The real solution is to set up a cable connection, or take a look at the BT community forums and post a Q there. I'd suggest that, as I lurk quite a bit on there.

http://community.bt.com/