I've been 'Bumped' on Ebay

Long story/moan ......Bought some second hand parts for my car on ebay. Paid in to the sellers account with a transfer from mine. Took a few days until he said it showed in his account. He said the parts were wrapped ready to go, fine I thought. Day or so later he says they've been posted via parcel force 48hr delivery. I asked for a tracking id and got some story that his Dad posted them and he'd try getting in contact with him. No reply and no delivery for me, it had been 3 days since he posted them. Called him and got another story that his Dad had used a small village post office and they'd made a mistake and my parcel was still sitting in there. He was on holidays at this point and he'd post them as soon as he was home. Fair enough I thought. So a week or so past and he called me saying they were posted that minute and would be with me the next day before 1pm. Asked for a tracking id and he said he'd text it to me. But never did and he's not answered any my calls, texts, emails or voice mails since. Ebay are no use and say I wasn't covered with buyer protection as I never used paypal! This guy's got 500 and odd quid of my hard earned. What do I do know to get it back? Anyone had a similar experience?

The guy apartently has a 'Subaru' garage and seems to sell other impreza parts that are from cars that he is stripping. Down south some where, not sure of a name or address. Only got his name and bank account details!

Thanks

Ryan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His feedback was 98 point something iirc? Bit lower no though, 97 odd. I opened a case with ebay and they give the seller 10 days to work things out and reply, no replies within that period and then ebay take it into there hands and he never even replied at that stage. So after a fortnight of waiting ebay send me a email saying that they can't help any further. Because I used bank transfer as payment, they knew that from the start and could have told they were going to be no help getting my money or parts!

Report it to Watchdog, Citizens Advice, the police, the Fraud Office, Trading Standards etc etc. He should be traceable so then go to the small claims court as well! You have his number, I would be tempted (but not sure how legal it would be) to post it up here and get other people to phone him and swamp him. You could also borrow someone elses phone to phone him, he would not recognise the number - that is how we catch out our errant apprentices here at our college, hehehe

Good luck mate and keep us posted (no pun intended) with how things progress!

Tried the other number trick, a few times over the last 4 weeks. Doesn't seem to answer any calls that he doesn't know. Just a few rings and then voice mail. Going to try getting a few friends from Inverness or Wales to contact him through ebay regarding what ever items he has for sale and try to see if they can get his home or garage address. Think I'll need to speak to the police or trade and satndards etc. See how I go about getting mt money.

Will do thanks very much. Address might come in handy!! Musty be his brother Steven Bettles that I dealt with. Police staion is getting a visit this afternoon... Has anyone had to do similar?

Cheers guys

Ryan

If you can't get ebay involved due to not using paypal, then speak with your own bank's fraud department. They may not be too keen to bother unless you pressure them, but getting the bad guys' account flagged as linked to a fraud complaint can come in handy. Might get you little help, but could stop another getting stiffed and ultimately no bank = no business :icon_hang:

Been to the bank this afternoon. They can't help either. Because it was a payment from my account to his account, after it's left my account, they can't do anything aout it. So police with all my details of the purchase it is. But that flagged for fraud idea sounds like it would be a nice pay back.

Ryan

We are all wiser after the event but as I found out there are few avenues to help out. I had a similar a few years ago on scoobynet. Bought a gearbox which never turned up. I had paid a small amount from my paypal balance and the bulk from my credit card. Paypal would not help as it was not an ebay auction, so lost the small amount. I then contacted my credit card who repaid the amount i had paid using my card. I now refuse to pay for anything unless its a credit card transaction or Cod or from someone I know and trust. If someoen pays me by paypal I wont pay the charges for obvious reasons.

I also make sure I always take out the family legal protection cover on my home insurance. It covers you up to £50k of legal expenses cover for most day to day issues from work related disputes to legal issues with your neighbours. I have used this cover once with a work related dispute to the tune of £50k well worth it in the end.

Got all bits and bobs of paper work togehther. Like the original advert and the 'seller accepted your offer' messages etc, printed out any emails and text messgaes I had regarding this matter and took it to my local police station. Spent an hout and a half explaining things to 2 officers and not really got any further to be honest. I've checked all names and sddress that I can regarding this guy and his garage. It doesn't seem like they're trying to hide anything that much, on the noters role and addresses match names etc. So it looks like they're just trying to bumped me because I stay 300 miles away from they maybe? Police can't really do "anything" as they say that there's not an actual crime been committed?? They did help quite a bit and gave me the local police force to where this guys lives number, but I've to do more digging myself. More of a civil matter I was told..... My bank didn't really want to know, they checked the money went out and in and then basically told me after it left my account that's that, not their problem.

Also found a scoobynet and P1oc member that's been had by this guy, last November. For something like 180 quid for a bonnet. Seems that it was Jake Bettles that bumped him through as scoobynet sale. But he also trades under a different name on ebay and so on. The 'vixgorman' ebay username is Steven Bettles partners account. So they have various places and names they trade under.

Think I'll need to go to citizen's advice and find out what to do regards the smalll claims court and all that side of things. As I've not got a clue where to start!

Ryan

Think I'll need to go to citizen's advice and find out what to do regards the smalll claims court and all that side of things. As I've not got a clue where to start!

Ryan

Some mates, a transit van and a trip down the M6... that's where I would be tempted to start.

Juvenile I know but somewhat effective in such matters ;)

Very tempted for that kind of fix. But a 600+ mile round trip and probably end up without my money or my second hand calipers, but have a criminal record for my efforts! Would feel better than I do now though. Nightmare. Don't know to be honest?