PRO-R at Oulton

I had a long chat with the Guys at PRO-R at Oulton

This does seem a VERY interesting new development working along side of SUBARU UK but not exclusively UK cars though ;) they were also keen on working alongside the SIDC

T5NYW740812122165.JPG

There has been a void left by Prodrive as they have moved on to pastures new. Pro-R say with some very big and well known partener, their Tuning and handling ranges will fill this Gap. And If a UK owner you will still retain a 3 year UK warranty :thumbup:

It does look like they are getting all the right people on board As I did speak to Mike Wood, ex-Prodrive PPP and handling guru (if you own a RB5, P1, WR1, RB320 or 330s he would have had a very big input on them all) I also chatted to another "expert" Paul Cowland from TSL Motorsport Fame.

Although there WEB site http://www.pro-r.co.uk/ is not up and running yet you can enter your Email to be informed when Ready.

I'm hoping they will be competitive, but only time will tell

Tony

Edited by T5NYW

It'll be interesting to see Subaru UK's response if new cars fitted with Pro-R engine mods start having engine failures? Will they try to weasel out the warranty claims?

I also wonder what the take up rate for engine mods on the hatches will be with folk already worried about doing power upgrades without forging their engines.

Edited by MonsterEnergy

After Stu and myself spoke with them last week all I can say is that Pro-R know what causes the problems with the hatch and also what needs to be done to prevent engine failures on them or at least reduce the risk.

I think people will be pretty safe upgrading with Pro-R as they know the ins and outs of the Subaru and everything is being extensively tested.

Edited by Bailey73

To echo Darren's point, the Pro-R Time Attack car uses the 2.5 STi engine as opposed to the JDM 2.0 - the same engine you can go and buy in any dealership (albeit highly modified).

As I understand it as a result of the interview we carried in the last issue the problems with the 2.5 come about as a result of heat stress caused by running very lean at high rpm's for consistent periods. That has been rectified with different map settings. As such, that's why the same issues aren't being seen in the 330s and cosworth models.

Admittedly, I'm no engine builder/tuner so my knowledge in the area is somewhat limited.

It'll be interesting to see Subaru UK's response if new cars fitted with Pro-R engine mods start having engine failures? Will they try to weasel out the warranty claims?

I also wonder what the take up rate for engine mods on the hatches will be with folk already worried about doing power upgrades without forging their engines.

Just to add, (and not wanting to give too much away before True Grip comes out at the weekend), ALL Pro-R products are covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Interesting stuff indeed! Looking forward to seeing what's available.

Will need to get hame so I can unlock my paypal, sort oot membership, and get to view True Grip.

I didn't mean to sound negative - I really want the reliability of Subaru to start getting good publicity again and if Pro-R allow us to modify the cars under warranty, even better!

If Pro-R come good with their package - will definitely be sticking with an STi and be kitting oot with their gear when it comes to swap cars in a year or so!

Darren / Stu

Are you saying you have no knowledge of 330S engine failures.

Do you not think that if the issues with engine failure were as simple as mapping problems, then Subaru would have put this to bed in 2008. Engines continue to fail despite the Subaru instructed re-flash and in some cases multiple engine fitments.

Very recent cars seem to be holding up better and i certainly don't believe for one second that this is down to the luck of the draw.

Sorry to go off topic but feelings still run high with many customers who have spent circa £30,000 to be left sitting in what would appear to be ticking bombs.

Apologies again Pro-R. I really hope you can pull Subaru's reputation back to something like it was 10 years ago.

From what I recall..

The engines have been failing due to them running lean after coming off high revs for a long period, Changing the mapping of the engine has seen this issue decrease and i'm sure there will be more testing done to reduce the risk even more.

It is sad to see that Subaru themselves have not done more to address the problem but I do have confidence in Pro-R and feel that they will progress well within the Subaru community.

From what I can gather there has also been less failures if the vehicles have PPP fitted.

From what I recall..

The engines have been failing due to them running lean after coming off high revs for a long period, Changing the mapping of the engine has seen this issue decrease and i'm sure there will be more testing done to reduce the risk even more.

It is sad to see that Subaru themselves have not done more to address the problem but I do have confidence in Pro-R and feel that they will progress well within the Subaru community.

From what I can gather there has also been less failures if the vehicles have PPP fitted.

The truth is Subaru are not interested or cannot sort out this three year old problem. They have been content to sit back and keep pumping out replacement engines. There is no way they would take this commercial decision if there was a more straight forward and cheaper fix. Warranties are now expiring and they will walk away and no doubt breath a huge sigh of relief.

As for the PPP cars suffering less failures. I am not sure where that info has come from but i suspect pro-rata the facts will show they actually have a higher failure rate. The engine is under engineered and does not meet its advertising claims or prove to be durable.

Subaru not so long ago issued a technical statement, diverting the blame for failure onto customers who had modified there cars, bought imports etc. It will be very interesting to see what advice is given if we say buy a Pro-R exhaust, air filter or similar. Will this automatically involve a re-map ? Can the cars now suddenly cope with modification :brickwall:

Anyway none of this is down to Pro-R, so the very best of luck with your new venture. Once again sorry to drift off topic.

It will be very interesting to see what advice is given if we say buy a Pro-R exhaust, air filter or similar. Will this automatically involve a re-map ? Can the cars now suddenly cope with modification :brickwall:

Mike IMHO

1) the engine is in the newer 4door may have had subtile (secret)tweak so may noy be an isssue now.

2) 3years on they must be more experienced in "pogramming" the new FBW and DVC systems

Tony

Edited by T5NYW
  • 2 weeks later...