Urgent help needed

Hope someone can help out in the car today all going fine stopped at the shop went to start the car again and nothing fuel pump wouldn't kick in called rac guy came out told me that the plug connecting to the pump was sending 12v when unconnected but when connected ie underload it wasn't he said it could be a bad connection somewhere or corrosion in one of the plugs along the way to the fuel pump. Can't get a garage to look at it anywhere is there anyone near linwood that knows how to fix this I don't mind bringing the car over as the rac guy put a wire from the battery to the pump just so I can start it, I just need the car back on the road as it's my daily driver

many thanks Paul

Have you had this sorted? I had the same problem with my classic and it turned out to be a bad connection up in behind the dash, just around the fuse box in the drivers footwell. Not the fuse box its self but running to it, bit of a bugger to find but got it in the end. (My breakdown guy ran a wire from the tail lights so I had an additional immobiliser (no side lights no go :) ) )

Not yet mate I have a fused wire running from the battery to the pump at the mo just to get me about but I really need this fixed I am going to go out and see if it starts it done this last week but after an hour it started again so god knows what's up with it

the fuel pump relay is a cylindrical one up behind dash with green connector. on input side, one spade should be hot at all times and the ecu sends 0v to other side when it wants fuel pump on. hope this helps.

i ran one of my old uk turbos with direct feed for many years without issue.

Thanks for the replys guys got in touch with craig and I am taking the car to him on Thursday so hopefully he can work his magic on it failing that might just ask him to run a live feed switch to the dash bypassing everything need to wait and see tho.

Paul

I ran my P1 with a direct feed to the pump with no probs after the pump circuit on the alarm imobiliser had burned out. Was told it was quite common when tuned/larger pump running. Simptoms were car cut twice and wouldnt restart but was ok the next day (contact cooling) both times. Finally totally failed so was easier to diagnose. Imobiliser still worked also, guessed must have a 2nd circuit to imobilise the ignition...

Joe had a look at the connector i can shake it about as if it's loose but I don't know ths first thing about electrics so ain't going to try hopefully craig can source and fix cause I am driving high as a kite with the top cover being off the housing for the fuel pump the car stinks of petrol. How you doin any how?

Jimmy your symptoms are the same as I had the car cut out after 10 min of driving started after left for 5 min then the second time I drove It to the shops then it wouldn't start for over an hour, then the final time it gave up. So how did you run your feed and does running a live feed shorten the pumps life due to it pumping all the time.

Many thanks

Paul

It was about 18months ago i did it. I connected it into the ignition barrel to a connection that comes live on the click before full ignition, where everything is on the next turn starts car. Meant if you left the key in that position, the pump was pumping without the engine going, where as it normally just primes the pressure then stops till the engine starts.. No big deal as the fuel just goes in a loop i believe in that instance. Once started,the key returns the that position and the pump is always pumping anyway so no difference. Im struggling to remember exact details as too what i did as so long ago. Its quite easy to do if ok working with the electrics.

Well took the car down to seedhill at 5 tonight, craig straight in with his screwdriver taking apart the drivers side of the dash and within 10 min had diagnosed it to a wire going into the fuel pump relay that was a wee bit on the thin side so he put a thicker wire on it tried the egnition and hey presto pump primed 2 min later all soldered and dash was back on spent the next hour looking at his selection of imprezas and legacy and a sti that he is working on for a guy on the forum sorry forgot his name all I can say is cheers craig some guy and the car will def be comming back to you for it's maintenance and mind find out about that sti intercooler mate. I hope I explained the fault good enough if not I am sure craig will come on and explaine a wee bit better.

I ran my P1 with a direct feed to the pump with no probs after the pump circuit on the alarm imobiliser had burned out. Was told it was quite common when tuned/larger pump running. Simptoms were car cut twice and wouldnt restart but was ok the next day (contact cooling) both times. Finally totally failed so was easier to diagnose. Imobiliser still worked also, guessed must have a 2nd circuit to imobilise the ignition...

That must of been what happened to mine, I know I just had to replace the wire from the solenoid to the pump and away she went.

How you doin any how?

Not bad mate, Just working away all the time saving the pennies for another impreza LOL! Hopefully another spec c sometime in the near future :whistle: Or a type r!! Prob a type r to be honest as i don't think i will be able to hold on to the cash for a spec c haha