Another thread about tyres

Thanks for the reply .I have added the tyre size i need in the main post.I checked camskills website and emailed them a few weeks back there out of stock of the size i need

Try Ace ting_tong! Just a point of caution, I had a set on my Hawk and it destroyed them, Hawk seems to be too heavy at the front........I didnt believe it, thought it was a rumour but I do now!

there out of stock of the size i need

Ah! :)

Hope you don't mind me asking did you use the Toyo T1Rs during the winter? How are they when pushing on in dry cold and greasy cold conditions?

I recently bought Bridgestone RE070s for non-winter use, but I'd like something a little less slick for next winter. Thought about going for a set of proper winters, but since read a few reviews where summer tyres still seemed to outperform winter tyres in dry winter conditions (my main concern as I don't take take the Scooby out in the snow and don't tend to push it in the wet)...

Your T1Rs actually look quite similar to the Avon ZZ3s I used to have on the car, which were OK in the cold (better than the RE070s anyway).

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited by Mystery Machine

Ah! :)

Hope you don't mind me asking – did you use the Toyo T1Rs during the winter? How are they when pushing on in dry cold and greasy cold conditions?

I recently bought Bridgestone RE070s for non-winter use, but I'd like something a little less slick for next winter. Thought about going for a set of proper winters, but since read a few reviews where summer tyres still seemed to outperform winter tyres in dry winter conditions (my main concern as I don't take take the Scooby out in the snow and don't tend to push it in the wet)...

Your T1Rs actually look quite similar to the Avon ZZ3s I used to have on the car, which were OK in the cold (better than the RE070s anyway).

Cheers :thumbup:

I always found the Toyos to be a great all year round tyre(brilliant in the wet superb in the dry), bought a set of winter wheels this year with goodyear snow (winter tyres) when I took my wheels of to replace them the Toyos were trashed on the inside of both tyres. Now purchased goodyear asymetrics which I was told to buy in the first place, general opinion is the side walls of the Toyo are too soft for the Hawk!

Dipsy, Paul – thanks for the feedback about the Toyo T1R :icon_salut:

Interesting point about the softer sidewalls – that would probably put me off them, TBH – I love the stiffer sidewall of the RE070!

going to try the Vredestein SESSANTA as these get good reviews wet and dry and are simmilar price to the toyo's

Yes, I've read that's a great wet & dry tyre – I might look at those for winter instead...

Wee Jock was this the inside edge of fronts because mine are going that way and i am thinking is my tracking/geometry out with pot holes about well try to avoid them but not always possible

It was mate, took my car in for a service last year only had the tyres 2 months and they commented how they were wearing on the insides. So that was from say April last year until Jan this year! When I took them off they were worn on the inside through to the canvas, the rest of the tyre had even wear on it. Defo think its a weight thing!

Edited by Wee Jock

It was mate, took my car in for a service last year only had the tyres 2 months and they commented how they were wearing on the insides. So that was from say April last year until Jan this year! Wahen I tooke them off they were worn on the inside through to the canvas, the rest of the tyre had even wear on it. Defo think its a weight thing!

What air pressure were you running them, WJ?

33 all round, on the classic it used to be 32 33 never had any wear issues then, have used Toyos since 2004 but defo not working on the Hawk!

That doesn't sound too low really... I suppose the T1R sidewall really must be soft! I used to use 35F 33R in my Avons before the suspension mods, but with the suspension mods and the RE070s I've settled on...

34psi front 30psi rear i have in mine

^^^

...exactly the same as this guy!

I used the Subaru-recommended 32.5F 27.5R as a starting point and settled for a baw hair more at the front and a bit more than a baw hair more at the back. I don't like too much in the front because you loose steering feel – too much in the back I find can make the car a little twitchy.

Bit soft in the back m8!

Depends on so many things as well as tyres though... suspension setup, driving style, etc.

For my car, that's still higher than the Subaru-recommended 1.9 bar/27.5 PSI (unladen). Although I do wonder if the Subaru-recommended rear pressure is deliberately low as a 'safety measure' to help prevent people from oversteering off the road (H&S, eh? :().

Usually gives the PSI settings in the doors on my Classic defo 33 32 (jap Import) dont know if that makes a difference.

Cause the Hawk is heavier at the front I put it up a notch, rear defo seams soft. Even tyre wear when running 32/33 rears!

Just my experiance's over the years!

Usually gives the PSI settings in the doors on my Classic defo 33 32 (jap Import) dont know if that makes a difference.

Aye, that's where I got the 32.5F 27.5R for the Hawk.

Cause the Hawk is heavier at the front I put it up a notch, rear defo seams soft. Even tyre wear when running 32/33 rears!

Just my experiance's over the years!

Totally, you can't ignore what your tyre wear is telling you!

Have you had your geo looked at recently?

Aye, that's where I got the 32.5F 27.5R for the Hawk.

Totally, you can't ignore what your tyre wear is telling you!

Have you had your geo looked at recently?

The Geo was set up by some chap over in Renfrew ( profesional setup does rally cars) it has also been corner weighted!

Had a look on the door sticker for tyre pressure today and it says (2.3 bar)33psi front (2.1 bar)30psi rear!

Here's mine (apologies for the dire picture quality – forgot to enable 'macro' on the camera):

Hawkeye_tire_pressures.jpg

225/45 R17 = column B

Unladen front = 2.3 bar = 33.5 psi

Unladen rear = 1.9 bar = 27.5 psi

OK, so I was 1 psi out on the front ;)

Funnily enough, checked my pressures today and I have 36F/32R. 10dC warmer today than when I last checked them, which would account for the 2 psi increase. Not going to let any air out though, prefer a little more in there when it's warmer and the car feels softer.

Here's mine (apologies for the dire picture quality – forgot to enable 'macro' on the camera):

Hawkeye_tire_pressures.jpg

225/45 R17 = column B

Unladen front = 2.3 bar = 33.5 PSI

Unladen rear = 1.9 bar = 27.5 PSI

OK, so I was 1 PSI out on the front!

Funnily enough, checked my pressures today and I have 36F/32F. 10dC warmer today than when I last checked them, which would account for the 2PSI diff. Not going to let any air out though, prefer a little more in there when it's warmer and the car feels softer.

Think thats the same as mine looked at the snow setting for the rear! :lol:

All said and done, I think it comes down to experimenting and finding out what you like. Obviously 'too soft' could cause an issue with tread edge wear and will make the car a little slower and thirstier, and of course at the other end of the scale 'too hard' could cause an issue with excess tread centre wear (seems rare on Scoobs, mind).

Although I tend to think that if the tyres are wearing badly at only one edge then it's maybe more an issue of the geometry not matching the driving style...

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post up on my new tyres - just fitted 4 goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

After about 100 miles I love them, they feel amazing, sharp and the level of dry grip is great. I really bought them for the rain but its been dry since i fitted them!

I came from mixed tyres, coopers and Avons and these tyres are a world apart. I heard the old Asymmetrics were immense but a bit soft on the side wall - an issue addressed with these ones, I would highly recommend them!

Reasonably priced - £92 a corner from cam skill!