New Scooby..... What to buy?

Ok, at the minute i'm waiting the powers that be to release details of the redundancy package for the RAF but at the minute it looks like i'll fit quite nicely into the qualifying criteria...

If i get it i'll have a bit of cash to get a new scooby and upgrade from the WRX. Here's what i've thought of and looked at so far

WR1

RB320

JDM STI

Litchfield Type 25

Ideally i'd like a blobeye or newer - not a bloody hatch though...

Is there anything i've left off the list to review there are so many sprecial editions out there i must have missed something.

Cheers all.. :icon_salut:

lol Could have had my GB with all the work done only covered 15,000 mls 342bhp @ 392 lb ft of torqueees for £14,000, unfortunately as of tomorrow it will be ripped to bits & back to standard before it goes http://forums.sidc.co.uk/topic/152216-gb-270/

nice motor unfortunately i won't be buying a new one till the dudes in charge decide if i fit the criteria for redundancy.... could be another 3-4 months before i even find out if i'm getting it. I'm just planning for next year.

+1 for the Litchield

Regarding the RB320... they are lovely cars but at ~£20K for a lowish mileage example, I'd far sooner buy a regular Hawkeye STI of the same age and mileage for around ~£15K, then spend around £3500 modding it into a faster and better-handling car than an RB. That leaves £1500 to spend on whatever other customisations take your fancy (paintwork, stereo?). The only caveat being that an RB320 will hold its value better than a modded STI.

And as much as I think the 18" RB320 wheels look nice, I prefer the 'safety' of standard STI 17" rims on our potholed highways...

JMO!

+1 for the Litchield

Regarding the RB320... they are lovely cars but at ~£20K for a lowish mileage example, I'd far sooner buy a regular Hawkeye STI of the same age and mileage for around ~£15K, then spend around £3500 modding it into a faster and better-handling car than an RB. That leaves £1500 to spend on whatever other customisations take your fancy (paintwork, stereo?). The only caveat being that an RB320 will hold its value better than a modded STI.

Regarding the above;

I can see what you saying ,but by the time you spend £3500 on mods then declare them to your insurance company then you won't be far off the price of an RB,plus the Rb320 is a 'limited edition' Just my opinion .

Edited by tommo9375

I have a White 07 STI with RB 320 wheels on it everybody thought it was a white RB because it looks the same, the only difference is the inside with the lether seats, on the plus side of it i Spent just over £1000 to get the car to 349bhp and 400lbs torque which is faster than the RB.

And mine was up for sale as well !

I can see what you saying ,but by the time you spend £3500 on mods then declare them to your insurance company then you won't be far off the price of an RB,plus the Rb320 is a 'limited edition' Just my opinion .

1) £20000 for an RB320.

2) £18500 for an STI of the same age/mileage, tastefully modded to go faster and handle better.

I'll go for option 2 :)

You're right, the insurance might be a little dearer for the latter, but last time I checked it was in the order of 15% per annum (not much more than £100 extra for me). Not a big deal - I expect to pay a little more to insure a more powerful car.

It's horses for courses, I 'spose - being a limited edition the RB320 definitely has a strong appeal for some people. I tend to see a car for what it is in terms of its mechanical features - therefore a few orange stickers, some leather trim and a chickenwire grille don't make an RB320 any more desirable to me than a STI that has been modded to handle better and accelerate faster than the former. Residual value can't be ignored of course - a well looked-after RB320 will almost certainly continue to hold its value better than a standard STI. And of course you generally don't recover money spent on mods when you sell a car.

The RB320 is a really nice Scoob that I'd be very happy to own - I just don't think they're worth the premium over standard STIs, but I can understand why not everyone would agree with that.

Having owned a blobeye STI and a WRX 54` I knew i didnt want a WRX based on the looks and differences. I didnt want to buy another STI for less money than the RB as they arent holding their value all that well. So I decided on a ltd edition car with character and a list of upgrades to boot.

My RB320 has 25,000 miles and cost £18,500. Prices seem to range between £17,000-£23,000 depending on condition, spec, history. They will keep their price to a point. 22b and RB5 are an example although have completely different heritage. Will the RB320 ever compete with the 22B? I wouldnt think so but the timing/circumstances/reason behind the car stands for itself also.

The spec (without going to the glovebox and getting the list out) is something like:

Bilstein struts reworked

Eibach springs

Uprated and adjustable ARB

Stronger drops

Leather seats in some/most

Front splitter

Wheels

branded mats

gearshifter

quick shift box

individually mapped to 320/320

prodrice box

If you flick that diff to manual and pull it back 2 places with the kit already on the car, its planted. That just saved you £500 on handling mods.

The car is the same as what the old blob ej20 was with PPP but i believe if you use it properly it will be a match for bigger cars due to the set up alone.

WR1- The fastest car off the shelf, holding good value and were generally owned due to their high price in 2004 by folk who didnt batter them

JDM STI- rollerbearing turbo, better gear box, more potential

Litchfield Type 25- how many did they make? I looked at one in 2006 and as I was about to travel to see it, it blew up on track. Could you mod the JDM STI to the same/more spec for less money? I think so.

Finally, ( i was told ) if you stick on a sports cat and map the RB320 it will produce 360+bhp/400lbft. £75 + £450 + £18k = £18,500 for a quick quick car that goes round on rails................................