Subaru now sourcing OE parts from the US!

Ok so six months is up again and as normal I place a mail order from the nearest Subaru dealer for an oil filter and sump plug washer. Great service as it arives promptly the next day. However I open the package to find that the usual black made in japan item I have always used has been replaced by an unboxed blue filter which is made for Subaru USA in Canada.... It looks different inside then the old one, feels lighter and has rust inside on the contact face! Not to mention it costs twice as much as the last time I brought one. On checking the invoice it does state that this version has replaced the old one. I certainly wont be fitting a rusty filter to my car so its going straight back and hopefully I can source a proper Jap one. The thing is its not even packaged other then the clear film its wrapped in so surely they would have seen the rust and just sent it anyway.

Am I wrong to be so annoyed? I know its only a little thing but now it means posting it back again...

Edited by FMJ

Ok so six months is up again and as normal I place a mail order from the nearest Subaru dealer for an oil filter and sump plug washer. Great service as it arives promptly the next day. However I open the package to find that the usual black made in japan item I have always used has been replaced by an unboxed blue filter which is made for Subaru USA in Canada.... It looks different inside then the old one, feels lighter and has rust inside on the contact face! Not to mention it costs twice as much as the last time I brought one. On checking the invoice it does state that this version has replaced the old one. I certainly wont be fitting a rusty filter to my car so its going straight back and hopefully I can source a proper Jap one. The thing is its not even packaged other then the clear film its wrapped in so surely they would have seen the rust and just sent it anyway.

Am I wrong to be so annoyed? I know its only a little thing but now it means posting it back again...

i think you are quite right , you chose to buy subaru parts for the quality , otherwise you would av gone to halfords or the like , if they want to start 'economising' they need to see that it wont work and the customers will refuse to accept it , maybe then they will see the error of their ways and revert back to quality rather than quality after all it aint a fiesta 1.1 you are buyin bits for is it!

i think you are quite right , you chose to buy subaru parts for the quality , otherwise you would av gone to halfords or the like , if they want to start 'economising' they need to see that it wont work and the customers will refuse to accept it , maybe then they will see the error of their ways and revert back to quality rather than quality after all it aint a fiesta 1.1 you are buyin bits for is it!

Cheers, Now I don't feel so bad for complaining!

Oooft now you have me wetting myself done me oil n filter 2week ago and it was a blue one that was supplied through Ian grieves got parts to phone and confirm it was the right one fair enough it was. But come on you pay a small fortune for descent oil and get cheap n cheerful dealer parts bad patter methinks

So I rang the dealer today and when I told him about the problem (very politely) he reacted as if I had shat in his breakfast. He has grudgingly agreed to "look at it" and see what they can do. I was expecting a "OH OK, SORRY ABOUT THAT I WILL GET ANOTEHR ONE OUT TO YOU". After four years of sourcing parts from this dealer costing £1000's I will be switching to somewhere else once I get a new filter out of them.

I have just seen the HKS one in JP Magazine but they are about £20. Not too bad but prehaps a little pricey for a 6 months dissposable item.

The old type OE filter was great, always good quality, properly sealed and boxed from new. It also used to cost less then £6! The new one looks so tacky compared to it and yet costs over £10! I am sure it will do the same job but I have to admit one of the main reasons I love scooby ownership is that the parts are made in Japan and they tend to have a lot of pride in what they do, it is always reflected by the quality of the products.

Edited by FMJ