Any Last Minute Takers For Knockhill Tomorrow?

Currently we only have around 20 cars booked up to take part tomorrow morning!!

If anyone has ever wanted to try out track driving, but was too scared by a busier track, then tomorrow could well be your best (or last) opportunity!

I'm not sure why there is suddenly such a low demand for spaces, maybe the date was wrong with too many other events on the same day or coming up in the near future?

Maybe there just isn't the same interest in using your car to it's full extent in a safe environment without fear of speeding tickets?

Maybe it's the global financial situation, and people just don't have the money available to do track days?

It appears that some other track day organisers are finding the same thing, in that's it's becoming more and more difficult to get enough cars to cover the costs of hiring the track.

If anyone wants to have a play on a near empty track tomorrow, then drop me an email on john@sidc.co.uk

John

Back in the late 90s, I did about 20 full track days on standard brakes, and those were the horrible 2 pot sliding calipers! The only upgrade was better Mintex 1155 pads. Still had a huge amount of fun, and if the conditions are damp tomorrow then brake fade isn't really an issue as you never get that much heat into them or the tyres. Generally I would get around 6 to 10 laps on a hot dry day before fade started to kick in, so then just did a cooling down lap, 15 minutes in the pits and back out again :( In damp conditions you can more or less stay out for as long as you want!

With it being a summer event, and possibly a damp track, it could be entertaining watching people drift around the hairpin. It's not very often you get these conditions in conjunction with an empty track to explore the limits of what you and your car can do in a safe environment.

John

i have burnt out two sets of front dust seals since getting car and havent been very hard on car, definatly need compound change at the least but would rather do it right in a oner.

id be more inclined to do track days now as i get older (possibly wiser???) and protect my licence.

ive friends with different marks and they have commented about car clubs being quiter as well.

I would have been interested in the "newbie on track" time, the description in your other thread sounds ideal for me.

I don't have the money to spare and Grant thinks the clutch on the RA is on the way out.

Shame there's so few cars signed up to this session, perhaps things will pick up nearer the end of the year?

imy

Yes, it's one of the things we do to thank the ROs for all their fine work during the year :(

Only at Knockhill events, as the ones down south are jointly organised with other car clubs etc.

For £57.50 you could have 4 hours fun at Knockhill with a Touring Car driver sitting next to you. I'm sure you could spend more than that in a pub in 4 hours (well I could anyway :D)

John

Big thanks to Euan for letting me ride alongside for a few laps today. You seemed to be doing bl**dy well for a first timer mate. :(

yea i heard the big man had fun today - not bad considering he doesnt push too hard in the wet apparently..... :D

think one of the lotus boys may have got a bit carried away on the way home though, there was a black exige sitting on the verge just off broxden roundabout this afternoon with its nose left on the central reservation.....

had a great day, many thanks to john for organising.

i was a wee bit apprehensive in the morning due to the rain but decided to give it a go anyway. pretty sure i was slowest in the morning and still managed two spins. the one a duffus convinced me to change dccd setting and it felt a lot better from there on in.

surprised at how tricky that wee chicane on the back straight was if you didnt get the right line. that touring car instructor was excellent, if he hadnt of shown us round the track im pretty sure i would have been visiting every gravel trap/piece of grass :(

kev no worries, i was feeling a lot more comfortable with the car by then. well done on the medal.

Was a great day despite the weather. Could have done with a few more scoobs there, but I'm sure you'll do us all proud at our next event on the 18th September. Want a big Scooby turn out for that one please :(

A few photos to come later once I get the time to get them off the camera

John

Was a great day despite the weather. Could have done with a few more scoobs there, but I'm sure you'll do us all proud at our next event on the 18th September. Want a big Scooby turn out for that one please :P

A few photos to come later once I get the time to get them off the camera

John

This is a massive understatement, 1 Scooby from a whole forum managed along!!!

Thank for arranging this day John, I had lots of fun showing some super cars up, shame the Scooby boys couldn't be a***d to support their own days.

Hope this isn't the start of these days being stopped due to lack of interest

This is a massive understatement, 1 Scooby from a whole forum managed along!!!

Thank for arranging this day John, I had lots of fun showing some super cars up, shame the Scooby boys couldn't be a***d to support their own days.

Hope this isn't the start of these days being stopped due to lack of interest

Think it was a bad date TBH, Some of us (me included) already had tickets for Silverstone even before this trackday was announced, alot more would have went to T in the park which was also on, then there was the Glasgow bunch who wanted to do some sprinting at Kames, thats three things on on the same date as the trackday :P