Jailbroken Iphone

So, I know we already have an iPhone thread for the purist apps but what about the Jailbroken apps!?

Jailbroke my 3GS tonight and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of a few goodies???

How did you manage that? I read not too long ago that the latest 3GS couldn't be jailbroken. The only way to do it was using a Mac - I take it you have a Mac?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ is THE place for your best info and they have said SpritJB is good! That's good enough for me!

I have been waiting for one so I can go on to 3.1 and beyond - will be trying it this afternoon on my 3G (not S) - I don't need the unlock - just the JB so it's fine for me. First thing I put on is 5 Column Springboard :angry: I have 20 icons on my screen instead of the normal 16 and I also put the the 5 icon dock. I use SBSettings all the time for quick access to 3G and Wifi settings as well as brightness when battery is getting low and I am out and about.

I use Fstream to listen to Radio 1 or 5 Live. Cycorder to record video (yes on a 3G!). TomTom instead of my now retired trusty Ipaq. Cydia for JB apps (although someone mentioned a newer/faster app (not ICY)) Dtunes for playing my own mp3s and not needing itunes and I have Handbrake on the PC to convert films and downloaded series/episodes to mp4 so they go in Itunes and then onto the phone easily.

I use iphone browser on the PC to transfer stuff to and from the iphone without using itunes too. You can enable SSH so you can connect wirelessly too and set up shared folders. So much more stuff it can do but apple lock it down so much! JB is much more fun if you are into techy stuff but still very handy if you just want a bit more functionality on your phone.

Edited by pmacFTO

Hi John,

Cydia is where you can download lots of un-orthodox goodies from! One BIG bank of many different sources, supplied straight to your handset.

Themes, ringtones, sms alerts, emulators. Pretty much anything you wanted to change, or do on your phone is now possible! Inside Cydia it has lots of different sub-categories for you to look through and updates itself with new software everytime you log back on.

It really is better to Jailbreak, I had actually forgotten how addictive it becomes looking through the updated software everyday! Make sure your signal is at 3G when downloading.

My advice would be search for Winterboard as soon as you are up and running in Cydia. There is a search engone that will make it easy for you. Once Winterboard is on your iPhone, you can start customizing it as any Themes, SMS alerts or wallpapers are launched from Winterboard.

Any other issues drop me a line!

Hi John,

Cydia is where you can download lots of un-orthodox goodies from! One BIG bank of many different sources, supplied straight to your handset.

Themes, ringtones, sms alerts, emulators. Pretty much anything you wanted to change, or do on your phone is now possible! Inside Cydia it has lots of different sub-categories for you to look through and updates itself with new software everytime you log back on.

It really is better to Jailbreak, I had actually forgotten how addictive it becomes looking through the updated software everyday! Make sure your signal is at 3G when downloading.

My advice would be search for Winterboard as soon as you are up and running in Cydia. There is a search engone that will make it easy for you. Once Winterboard is on your iPhone, you can start customizing it as any Themes, SMS alerts or wallpapers are launched from Winterboard.

Any other issues drop me a line!

Thanks man. I'm going in...!

That was good... now my phone is completely f****d! All the inbuilt apps like SMS Phone, contacts etc. have completely dissappeared. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

All the icons came back, Every time I look through that Cydia crap, nothing works and now my phone wont find a network, "Unable to load network list".

Edited by TheWelsho
Never seen that before but then I only did it oce and it worked.

If all else fails you can use itunes to restore back to standard and try again.

Doing it now... hopefully I will get a network signal when the restore is run and that I have not damaged any hardware.

Hi John,

Never heard of that happening, only with older firmware. I've done mine with no hiccup and also know others now who have no issues.

Make sure when your running the software everything else is closed so it does'nt interfere. Restore will bring it back to life.

Hi John,

Never heard of that happening, only with older firmware. I've done mine with no hiccup and also know others now who have no issues.

Make sure when your running the software everything else is closed so it does'nt interfere. Restore will bring it back to life.

Cheers, I hope so :occasion14:

I've restored a few from older firmware without issues. Did it reboot after you loaded it up. If not reset the iPod holding the Home button and the Off button until the screen goes blank.

Yeah, it rebooted. Tried it again, still the same. When I go into settings and then network then carrier it just says "Unable to load network list" So I can't call or text and can surf only with WiFi. 10 more minutes until the Apple software update completes its download...

Have been told that your firmware has to be right up to date, as the baseband has to match that of the new JailBreak software. After you've downloaded the new Apple upgrade your now downloading it will work.

Thats why you havent been getting a signal

Edited by StewartyBoy
Have been told that your firmware has to be right up to date, as the baseband has to match that of the new JailBreak software. After you've downloaded the new Apple upgrade your now downloading it will work.

Thats why you havent been getting a signal

Got the phone restored. Even though I lost all my photos, music and apps and that as with a backup. Well done iTunes you pile of ****E!!!! Still have contacts, appointmens and texts - bid deal! And before anyone says "its in iTunes"... its not, because I lost all of it in a recent hard drive crash :occasion14:

To download apps and songs I have to re-enter my apple ID and password which DOESN'T work. I ask for a reminder and enter my name and email address... Apple tells me there is no such account with those details. I mean, why do people buy this $hite??????

Edited by TheWelsho

It's a great stock response that. It helps as much as testicular cancer.

John - make sure when you restored your phone that the iTunes store is set to the right country. You should be getting emailed receipts for your itunes purchases too, so check you've been getting them and ensure it is the right account.

Music and photos (with the possible exception of the camera roll?) etc. aren't backed up because the assumption is they're coming from your iTunes library. Otherwise your backup could be 32gb on the 3Gs of that size.

It's a great stock response that. It helps as much as testicular cancer.

John - make sure when you restored your phone that the iTunes store is set to the right country. You should be getting emailed receipts for your itunes purchases too, so check you've been getting them and ensure it is the right account.

Music and photos (with the possible exception of the camera roll?) etc. aren't backed up because the assumption is they're coming from your iTunes library. Otherwise your backup could be 32gb on the 3Gs of that size.

Yeah, I figured that after I ran the restore. Phone is working fine again. After I ran the restore and just as the phone completed the boot up phase, I received a text message that said something along the lines of, "Consider this an iWarning and don't attempt to jailbreak your phone again" Eek!

No more Jailbreaking for me, its a minefield, that even traversed safely, offers precious little in the way of reward on the other side. People have asked me why I wanted to JB my phone and I couldn't really answer!