Oil Leak From The Sump Plug!

Hi :thumbup:

Recently had an oil change(my charity prize win) on the wagon and had spotted oil from the sump plug so asked for a washer to be fitted, but noticed today its still leaking :banana: whats the options ...can I buy a new sump plug and washer? Does this mean that the performance oil added will be lost?

Cheers

Is the sump rotten around the plug Cathy?

If you do it cold someone could stick their finger in the hole while it's done :thumbup:

If it's not rotten some white tape may be enough to cure it. Hope it's not stripped.

Drain the oil into a clean container then just use it to refill the car. The sump plug is the lowest point of the sump, make sure it is not coming from somewhere higher up, and just dripping from that point.

Edited by John Stevenson
The sump plug is the lowest point of the sump, make sure it is not coming from somewhere higher up, and just dripping from that point.

Well....squeezed under the car today(I dont have a trolley jack :thumbup:) and the oil isn't coming from the sump plug!! Will take my ramps to work tomorrow and have a better look... She was dry as a bone before I drove to Alton Towers! Its not a lot of oil but will be using her on the Ullapool run and want her to be spot on...will let you know how it goes

Or the Cat will be coming out to play :banana:

That's interesting news. I did have oil coming from the sump plug, new washer and ptfe tape couldn't stop it. Basically the sump and the bolt are different types/strengths of metal and the threads wear out...

The good news is the sump off a classic will fit and you can pick one up second hand. The bad news is that replacing the sump on a newage means lifting the engine and fair bit of labour is involved. Sorry :P

5t.

The good news is the sump off a classic will fit and you can pick one up second hand. The bad news is that replacing the sump on a newage means lifting the engine and fair bit of labour is involved. Sorry :P

5t.

It's a Classic wagon that Cathy has the problem with. Can Classics be done with engine in-situ???

Thought it wasn't the sump? Cathy?

Its not coming from the sump plug (not rotten either looks good)...its up by the oil filter! Its only a few drops when its standing cold but a bit more when hot! Have cleaned around the area with detergent but not had time to have a look yet....watch this space :P

Edited by Midnight21
Its not coming from the sump plug (not rotten either looks good)...its up by the oil filter! Its only a few drops when its standing cold but a bit more when hot! Have cleaned around the area with detergent but not had time to have a look yet....watch this space :P

May be a silly question but have you checked that the filter is tight? Hand tight should be sufficient. Is it a genuine Subaru filter?

Usually leaks around the filter are caused by remnents of the old seal still being attached, due to the previous fitter not lubricating it first.

Stick a clean drainer below the filter, remove and thoroughly clean around where the seal presses against the block with brake cleaner (make sure this doesnt mix with the clean oil). If there are any rough feelings of old rubber, remove it. Lubricate the seal again by sticking your finger in the already drained oil and running it round the rubber. This will also give a good feel for any small stones or even cracks. Twist the filter back on until it stops, then give an extra little nip. Top up the car with the lost oil.

Start the car and give it a few minutes. Sometimes good to place a white sheet of paper under whilst idling, sometimes you can never tell if its fresh oil or just crap thats been laying on the ground a while. Take her a run, but dont go too hard incase there is a leak or an issue with the filter, last thing you want is it spinning off due to an ill fit. You just want to warm the car up, if you dont have an oil temp sensor just get the car up to optimum water temperature and then another 10-15 mins of driving.

Pull over or get home and have a check. If the problem persists change it back to a Subaru part.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by StewartyBoy

Update...... cleaned all the oil off over the weekend and it never leaked at all...then took the car a run and its leaking again :) from the front crank seal!!

Is there anything worth replacing whilst getting this fixed? (new timing belt fitted a year ago but oil on it now!!)

Update...... cleaned all the oil off over the weekend and it never leaked at all...then took the car a run and its leaking again B) from the front crank seal!!

Is there anything worth replacing whilst getting this fixed? (new timing belt fitted a year ago but oil on it now!!)

Sorry to hear that Cathy

I would change the belt Cathy for all it costs but i imagine someone with more techno will come alone and say i am talking pish :D.

Oh dear that is such a shame looks like the Cats going north :P i can barely hide my sorrow :)

If you are replacing your rear crankcase seal, you might want to look at a clutch job. If the front crankcase seal is the one being replaced, you might want to look at other things, such as a water pump, timing belt, or related sensors, seals and pulleys.

Yip its the front...but can I buy a timing belt kit for it?

Not so good Cathy hope you get it fixed in time but hey ho at least you have two scoobs

Thanks Bobby...I'm gutted as just tidied her up with my own wee paint job (£8.99 for a spray can of paint) and she is gleaming :) (white wheels an all lol)

but was chuffed how "not too bad it was" :D

Edited by Midnight21

When replacing the front crank seal, if it hasn't been done you might want to change the timing belt tensioner and check the idler pulleys aswell. Be careful removing the inner crank pulley, you don't want to break any of the trigger teeth and also don't damage the oil pump which sites behind it.

You might want to check the oil pump at the same time but this is a more involved job.

Johnny