Iphone Advise Needed

Hi Everyone,

Just learned that thieving 02 will not be replacing my iPhone with a new one at the end of term. My iPhone has been damaged for 6 months, but it still works just with a very damaged screen.

Short of it all I didnt bother fixing it at a cost of £130 because I thought I wouldve got a new one, but 02 want either £165 to FIX my phone, or £130 to upgrade. Basically they are ripping me off either way, which is a load of ******** as everyone else gets a new phone at the end of contract apart from iPhone users.

Surely my contract has ended, therefore renewal would merit a new phone... Anyone else have experience of this?

Hi Everyone,

Just learned that thieving 02 will not be replacing my iPhone with a new one at the end of term. My iPhone has been damaged for 6 months, but it still works just with a very damaged screen.

Short of it all I didnt bother fixing it at a cost of £130 because I thought I wouldve got a new one, but 02 want either £165 to FIX my phone, or £130 to upgrade. Basically they are ripping me off either way, which is a load of ******** as everyone else gets a new phone at the end of contract apart from iPhone users.

Surely my contract has ended, therefore renewal would merit a new phone... Anyone else have experience of this?

Depends, there's not many iPhones coming free with contracts. I'm assuming that unless you're paying £65+ pcm, you had to pay for the handset when you took out the contract? Same thing with renewals.

What network are you on? Guessing if it's renewal time that you're on O2 :) Have a look here as it may be cheaper just to cancel your existing contract and get a new one.

Depends, there's not many iPhones coming free with contracts. I'm assuming that unless you're paying £65+ pcm, you had to pay for the handset when you took out the contract? Same thing with renewals.

What network are you on? Guessing if it's renewal time that you're on O2 :) Have a look here as it may be cheaper just to cancel your existing contract and get a new one.

Hi,

Never had to pay for the phone, I'm £40 a month got it Dec 2008. Just find it highly unreasonable that I won't recieve the same service as every other customer just because of the phone I have. I'll have a look at your link.

Thanks

You are getting the same service as everyone though. The iPhone is only free on the most expensive contracts or the mid range 24 month ones. If I was you I'd get it repaired, swap to one of the cheap 30 day notice contracts then wait until June for the new one.

It's a myth that you'll get a free phone by default these days. Especially the high value handsets that sell themselves.

do what my old fella does... wait till near the end of your contract and phone them up telling them to cancel it,when they ask why tell them its because you've been offered the same deal by another network and that they are offering same handset and guaranteeing an upgrade every 12 months... they won't be long in bending over backwards to keep you with them.

either that or take out some phone insurance,wait a couple of months and then claim it....you should get the newer handset by default :)

Edited by Jon B
I can replace the screen for around 70 squid if thats any help?

I'll definately keep you in mind, thanks!

I pay 45 a month had an iPhone 3g for 18 months upgraded on line at the end of my contract like for like 45 a month and got a new 3gs for free just phone them or try it online

Neil

ps I'm on 02 too

Is this where you type in your number, it sends you a code then you enter giving you upgrade options!?

You are getting the same service as everyone though. The iPhone is only free on the most expensive contracts or the mid range 24 month ones. If I was you I'd get it repaired, swap to one of the cheap 30 day notice contracts then wait until June for the new one.

It's a myth that you'll get a free phone by default these days. Especially the high value handsets that sell themselves.

Its surprises me that only the expensive contracts are getting them free though, I don't think mine is that expensive (£40) and I got it totally free!

do what my old fella does... wait till near the end of your contract and phone them up telling them to cancel it,when they ask why tell them its because you've been offered the same deal by another network and that they are offering same handset and guaranteeing an upgrade every 12 months... they won't be long in bending over backwards to keep you with them.

either that or take out some phone insurance,wait a couple of months and then claim it....you should get the newer handset by default :)

I think I'll be doing this at the point of last resort, although with insurance my phone is nearly 18 months old and it has to be newer than 6 for them to cover my iPhone.

Not quite the same as I have a contract for the business with three phones on it, but...

I wanted an iPhone at renewal time. O2 said £100 please. I said I'd go elsewhere. They changed their mind and I got the phone free.

I'd definitely threaten taking your business away - because the mobile phone market is now pretty mature, it's all about keeping your own customers and trying to poach from the other networks.

I'd definitely threaten taking your business away - because the mobile phone market is now pretty mature, it's all about keeping your own customers and trying to poach from the other networks.

That maturity and the cost of some of the higher end phones is what's driving the prices up into what is a more realistic pricing structure. The arms race for new customers is over and what's driving things forward now is value for money and added extras.

The unfortunate thing with the iPhone - particularly when a new model comes out - is that they don't need to be aggressively competitive to get customers as people are sort of willing to pay for it no matter what. The gamble they take is that you're just willing to take what they've got.

By all means throw on the "good customer, take my business elsewhere" approach and there's a fair chance they'll play ball to some extent, but not nearly as much as they will on the "lesser" phones.

StewartyBoy - If you really want a new one now then it's the right time to do it. 3 months until the new one is likely to be out so they will be more willing to deal just now. Like I said though - don't expect quite as sweet a deal as they do on other hardware. Remember - it's a £400+ handset.

most bank accounts have free gadget insurance these days, register your iphone (they will ask for the serial number by pressing some buttons on the phone, obviously you cant do this but humor them with seme "mmmhhmmmmm's" and read it off the box - its the same as the barcode) wait a week and claim! hey presto new iPhone!