Hmrc Has Issued A Warning About Mistakes In The Tax Codes

Have your say: tax codes

Dealing with HM Revenue and Custom is proving very taxing of late.

HMRC has issued a warning about mistakes in the tax codes currently being issued to taxpayers.

Coding notices tell taxpayers how large their personal tax allowance will be in the coming tax year, and how much tax their employers should deduct.

Earlier this week the Chartered Institute of Taxation warned that many faulty or duplicate notices were being sent out. It said taxpayers could be asked to pay up to £108 a month too much.

Now HMRC has acknowledged that there is a problem.

And then there's the phones...

HMRC failed to answer about 44 million phone calls last year, according to Whitehall's spending watchdog.

HMRC = Bunch of Theiving Gits

I'm still sat on an emergency tax code after starting work in August. P45 sent to Tax Office by new employer as soon as I started & the Tax Office claimed never to have received it, so I then have to phone them, they send me a new form ( 1 week Turnaround) I then send them the form now 6 weeks ago & when I phone to chase all I get is -'Due to the recent Postal Strikes we're in a backlog situation' they assure me that any overpaid tax will be repayed via my tax code & sorry for the delay.

Arrrrggggghhhhhh

I had my tax code sent through saying this coming year but saying i worked for the company which got taken over and then went into liquidation.

Phoned them up and they " oh yes we know when you transfered to new employer due to take over, but thought you had two jobs! both jobs were 37 hour weeks!

you don't want to know what came out me mouth next but they soon got told what they had to do and by when before i took them to court.

I had my tax code sent through saying this coming year but saying i worked for the company which got taken over and then went into liquidation.

Phoned them up and they " oh yes we know when you transfered to new employer due to take over, but thought you had two jobs! both jobs were 37 hour weeks!

you don't want to know what came out me mouth next but they soon got told what they had to do and by when before i took them to court.

Yep, when I started working at my current place nearly 2 yrs ago, they had me down as working for Harrods!!!! Completely different company name, completely different reference code too!

Since I've been there I've had 6 different tax codes even though the first one was right!

Stilll no coding for me :rotfl:

Tax Office will be getting a piece of my mind in the morning as yet another month passes where they continue to rob me blind.

There's no way that they be able to give it all back to me before the end of the tax year now so I'm betting the next thing they'll ask me to do is fill out a tax return come year end & have to reclaim it that way so another delay before they pay me what they owe me.

Mmmm - Idea - Anybody heard the new radio ad - something along the line of 'Is somebody taking money from you pay that shouldn't' 'We have the power to stop them' aimed at people having money stopped unfairly by employers ? Yep think I'll have a bit of a laugh & give them as ring ' Yes somebody is taking money from my pay unfairly' Oh who is it 'YOU SORT IT NOW'